Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM

13 posts, read 30,560 times

Advertisements

I just recently got a pretty good job in Waco. My husband and I will be moving in early January, but we don't know where to live. We would like to rent a nice apartment or house (no more than $850 a month), 2bd/2ba.

I know no place is perfection, but I would like to live somewhere with a low crime rate. I'm not worried about schools because we do not have children.

Also, what is there to do for fun? We're not into the young college thing, too old for that. We're into going to plays, art exhibits, and concerts. We would also like to get involved in community organizations and volunteer.

Please provide constructive advice as we are totally in the dark about life in Waco.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 AM

99 posts, read 281,475 times
Waco has many different areas that meet your criteria. Best bets for apartments may be in the West Waco area (Hewitt/Woodway). There are a few off of Hwy 84, Chapel Rd, Londonderry (Near Providence Hospital) and near the Central Texas Marketplace. You might also check the Lakeshore Dr and China Spring areas, as well. The city has its own symphony, civic theatre and art center, along with a number of different museums. With Baylor and McLennan Community College, you'll find something to attend almost every weekend. There are also wonderful parks and a natural habitat zoo along the river. Best of luck in your move.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM

13 posts, read 30,560 times
We've found a nice house/townhome to rent in the Castle Heights. Is this a good area?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,167 times
I lived in Waco for a year. Rental costs are considerably cheaper than other towns in Texas. As for the area you were inquiring about...I wouldn't know since it's been over 20 years since I was in Waco. I recently stopped by on a gas break for my car and went thru the newspaper....rental prices were still low. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmouse135 View Post
We've found a nice house/townhome to rent in the Castle Heights. Is this a good area?
Umm.....it will probably depend on the person. It's a nice area with beautiful homes, but the some of the homes are in horrible conditions.

It's not really a bad area, but it is located near some shady neighborhoods.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM

32 posts, read 82,405 times
The Baylor School of Music has free concerts almost every week during the fall and spring semesters -- Wind Ensemble, Baylor Symphony, jazz bands, concert band, and several choirs. Check the web and they also have an automated phone dial service describing the events for the current week. Baylor drama department and the Baylor Art Center also should be checked out for plays and exhibits. The Baylor Mayborn Museuem often has touring exhibits. Waco Symphony, Waco Civic Theater, and Art Center Waco offer good events. Baylor, of course, offers Big 12 sports. For family oriented events, Waco has much to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: