Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times

Advertisements

They are actually going to pass this "tort reform" in Texas.

How petty, irresponsible and corrupt are the politicians here?

For those of you not familiar with it..The law will place much (and possible all) of the financial burden on anyone taking a legal action against someone else.

If you are in an accident - no matter how wrong the other driver is, if you do not take the offer by their insurance company, the law starts working against you.

If you go to court, and the award is less than (I understand) 80% of their offer, you start picking up their legal costs. And, if you lose, you pay all the legal costs.

I had an accident here in the past couple of years -we were rear-ended, and our car was wrecked...it was a nightmare..not the accident, the dealings with the insurance company and the lawyers.

They simply offered us a pittance of what our loss and medical expenses were - And we were absolutely honest about it all - we did not claim any permanent pain and suffering, just medical treatments.

Thank God we finally found a lawyer that "went to the mat" for us...and he ended up with practically nothing (and he knew this from the beginning..he was just a good guy, trying to get us re-imbursed for our expenses).

So, I will tell you what this will result in...The jerk we have for Governor and the dopey Republicans (who I will no longer support at all) will create havoc for the police and and emergency rooms.

Let's face it...Anyone that want's to protect themselves in an accident will immediately insist on an ambulance...And I don't blame them...And I am sure everyone in Texas will start realizing the thing same now...Why take a chance?

Protect yourself medically and legally...Because the pain does not always hit you until about 3 hours after the accident...Because you are in a state of shock..Your adrenaline is running high, you get concerned about everyone in your car...After you settle down, it hits you.

But, in Texas, if you do not immediately get an ambulance, it works against you...(I learned the hard way)....And now even more with this new law.

So, with that in mind...I can see a big problem developing...with all the lousy drivers here in Texas, the ambulances and emergency rooms will be getting filled up

I hope that they plan this in their budget...Double the number of ambulances and emergency room personnel...Oh, and maybe some more state troopers...Because everyone will be telling the 911 operator "Yes!!!... We need some ambulances!"

The sum of it all, is that this will only give more power to the psycho drivers we already have here...And maybe attract a few more to this now "safe haven state" for them.

Those of you thinking of moving to Texas....First take a trip down here (on a weekend, especially on Friday, for the rush hour, and at night), rent a car, and spend some time driving on some of the highways, and secondary roads...It will be an experience for you....

...Then think of having your family in the car with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
I can relate. I didn't ask for an ambulance right after my accident because a I felt fine and needed to get to work to pay my bills. A few hours later, the pain really started to hit me. I made a doctor's appointment and got some pain pills, but it didn't really matter for me because the guy was uninsured and I'm never getting any money out of him.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
That's a long post. Too long in fact. I doubt many will read it, unless they are utterly bored. Really now, it's important to sum up what you need/want to say in one paragraph or so, 75 words or less. Otherwise, it looks like 1) you are unable to summarize your thoughts, 2) you have WAY too much time on your hands, and/or 3) there may be some mental stability issues involved. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
That's a long post. Too long in fact. I doubt many will read it, unless they are utterly bored. Really now, it's important to sum up what you need/want to say in one paragraph or so, 75 words or less. Otherwise, it looks like 1) you are unable to summarize your thoughts, 2) you have WAY too much time on your hands, and/or 3) there may be some mental stability issues involved. Good luck.
I read it. I was not utterly bored, did not sense any mental issues with OP and had no problem reading a moderately long post. May I suggest you have more patience with people's opinions & feelings, find a more polite way to disagree and stick to the site's terms & conditions and not personally attack another poster by inferring they are "mentally unstable"?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I read it. I was not utterly bored, did not sense any mental issues with OP and had no problem reading a moderately long post. May I suggest you have more patience with people's opinions & feelings, find a more polite way to disagree and stick to the site's terms & conditions and not personally attack another poster by inferring they are "mentally unstable"?
I sort of scanned it, looking for something meaningful. It looked more like a rant against Texas as much as anything.

I no longer spend much time reading long posts only to find I've lost my own mind in the end.

Tell me what you want me to know in a short paragraph, as Sunderpig suggests. If I deem it worthy I'll read on. Use the Show/Hide control, let me decide what to read.

Though, it does read like a justification for concealed carry.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
That when you get "The Texas Hammer"...he will fight for your rights

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Hilarious...
Quote:
Those of you thinking of moving to Texas....First take a trip down here (on a weekend, especially on Friday, for the rush hour, and at night), rent a car, and spend some time driving on some of the highways, and secondary roads...It will be an experience for you....
Texas has 152,054 miles of roads: LoneStarRoads - Highway Guides covering the state of Texas

Yeah, OK, drive from Sonora to El Paso and report back to us......

What you suggested can only come from a psycho driver themselves who doesn't like Texas and has diarrhea of the fingers....

Texas has taken a HUGE step in stopping frivolous lawsuits and outrageous jury awards with tort reform

Perchance I wonder if the OP is one of those lawyers that earns their living off of auto accidents

Obviously the OP doesn't live in Texas..... 'cause we drive friendly here.

Last edited by plwhit; 05-16-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Default One flew over the cuckoos nest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Who are you to tell people what to write? and how to write it?

When you mention mental instability issues...Are you trying to tell us something?

A long post?....I wonder if you ever had a newspaper subscription?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hilarious...
Obviously the OP doesn't live in Texas..... 'cause we drive friendly here.
Holy cow!...I won't even duplicate some of the nonsense written here...

You talk about friendliness...How about taking a ride around Houston and blowing some kisses to some of the people on the roads.

Maybe in the rural areas...But what I see in and around some of the cities and some towns here...and even on the intercity highways...Yeah they're friendly...sticking their front-ends up the rear-ends of everyone else on the road...

I live and work in Texas...I like many things about it...But, many of the drivers here should not be behind the wheel of a car...and especially a large pick-up or SUV...The state should give people that drive these large vehicles a special test, like for truck drivers...And if you can really handle what you are driving, you should have no complaints about that. ...It will get some of the incompetents back into cars they can handle.

And hey!..How many DUIs does it take to get someone off the road here?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If I were Op and indeed beleive his all teh physco driver that is reason enough to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: