Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times

Advertisements

Twice this has happened and both times it is the same driver same vehicle, same time on a Sunday.

For my work I drive between accounts and I take the same route. At this one particular intersection is a yield, merge to the right at a light.

I pause and wait for on coming traffic to finish out and there is a guy in a jeep who honks at me to go but I can't because there are cars in those lanes in front of me.

Of course I do not merge on out into on coming traffic, because of his honking at me. However, this is getting to be annoying.

I don't know what I can do about him and I've thought of taking an alternate route, but there isn't one. I'm thinking of a bumper sticker slogan..."Mr Honker, I will not merge into oncoming traffic". Is there anything to do about him?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,430,405 times
Install a flamethrower in the trunk.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM

423 posts, read 824,417 times
Living in Corpus I deal with drivers like that all the time. Sometimes flipping them off shuts them up. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do about him. Seems like ignoring it is the best course of action.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
While I don't have a Jeep, I get hung up in back of drivers when there is a short (right in the traffic) merge lane to enter the flow of traffic (and then cut over to the left when on the street) but they stay behind the yield sign waiting for ALL the traffic to clear. It is frustrating. If there is a clear lane or merge in lane...TAKE IT!! Don't wait for the entire road to be open.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM

In my little metro...I don't think so. I can not dart out in front of people unless of course I want to take the chance of getting my car remodeled for me, or worse.

Safety first. I always wait for everyone to clear, because there are lane changers that will do a last minute switch on ya.

Horns are for, 'hey, you're about to hit me here' and they draw attention to the driver of the car that is making the noise.

In all my 10 years of driving in Dallas Texas no one did that to me. But Longview...wow.

It is rude and obnoxious to try and force the driver in front of you to do something that is uncomfortable for them and can very well lead to an accident.

I'm thinking of bumper sticker slogans....nice ones like, "be kind to other drivers'.

This guy is going to get some old person or some person who isn't paying attention, hurt.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Install a flamethrower in the trunk.
I like your idea.

You know the road ragers. I thought yesterday if this guy lived in Dallas, he would not like what they do and it doesn't have to be much of anything to tick 'em off. The stories still send chills up my spine.

What I did yesterday, I delayed the driver even longer. I ran up behind him at the second light up. (my car slow...) I honked at him and sat behind him with my flashers on. He sat there for two light changes. I sat there too, very patient as always, just smiling. I have smokes, food, drink, cell phone... and all the time in the world.

He leans his head out of the window and yells, 'how do you like it, when some one else does this to you'. And I thought, you do not even understand that, 'there were cars in front of me'. I thought, that's okay...'there just may be a police officers along any minute to help us out with this'.

I expect he and I will have this conversation again.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,714,259 times
Maybe you found a new potential boyfriend?

And I suggest maybe spending a few months driving in DFW or Houston as a training session.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,956 times
I second safety first. I've had people honk at me for not merging into a jam packed lane, but I am not on suicide watch. So since I am not rich, I got a relatively fast special edition Mustang. That takes care of about 90% of the pushy people as it is rare that I am tailgated by a Vette or Porsche. When I finally decide to merge, they ATTEMPT to tailgate me but are left breathing my exhaust, and the good times begin.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Living in Corpus I deal with drivers like that all the time. Sometimes flipping them off shuts them up. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do about him. Seems like ignoring it is the best course of action.
I can do that well, the ignoring part. Three kids use to be in the back seat of my car. The split second it takes to turn ones head to tell them to be quiet, is a second that may come with a higher price. Loud noises, are on ignore, most of the time.

I noticed yesterday, there was a child in his jeep in the passenger seat. I'm thinking the hour being between 5:30 and 6:00, visitation and he's late getting the child back.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe you found a new potential boyfriend?

And I suggest maybe spending a few months driving in DFW or Houston as a training session.
For him or for me? I've already been there, to both places. I'm ready for competition in the Indy 500. I have taken a 15 minute drive time and made it in just 4. Late night, roads clear, Seagoville 635 to Mesquite. That was fun.

Inner city travels; I did learn one lesson that is not taught in small towns and that is do not block exit ways. Small cities do not have traffic so heavy that a person can sit a lifetime waiting on an exit. It only had to happen once for me to be embarrassed enough, not to do that again. So why can't others learn too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas