Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
I vote for UNT. I may be wrong, but I thought UNT, UTD, and UTA were all on the list for major research universisties and have already received some funding. Texas A&M Commerce is not even being considered.
being a "research university" has very little to do with the experience of undergrads and it also has very little to do with the experiences of someone getting a masters in a business field because business fields are not major fields of research at most universities

the only funding that has been provided so far is 50 million in state funds that were provided to match private donations to each of the 7 universities

Texas Tech followed by UTD dominated the amount of funding and took the lions share of the 50 million followed by UH and then a LONG way down the list was UTSA, UTEP, UNT and UTA and I doubt much of that went to the business colleges at any of those schools because this is about RESEARCH not business programs

the link to the website you provided is a unT staple.....a website talking about a lot of things that most schools take for granted and a long winded bunch of hype about future plans that almost never come to fruition

Logistics and accounting would be what the unT college of business does best.......the facts are anyone with a masters in accounting with any type of decent grades should be able to land a good job after going to ANY university unT provides no real edge because accountants are in high demand....which means unless one is going into logistics there would be no real benefit to choosing unT over any other school including TAMU-C

being a large university with a website does not really mean much at all other than you are a large university with a website and some talk of future plans....hell unT does not even have a permanent president right now and they are taking a year break from looking for a permanent president while lee jackson consolidates power in dallas before they look for another "yes man" to take over the office of president on the future Denton branch campus of the unT-dallas system

accounting and BCIS are where most business majors will get jobs right now and I would probably tell most to skip going back to school for a degree in any other field of business right now as the value would be questionable....in either of those two fields someone with good grades will have the same opportunities from TAMU-C or unT....other than that logistics used to be a hot term in the business world, but that is fading right now with the down economy, but that is about the only area where unT would have an edge over TAMU-C because in any other field the grades and work experience will be more important when matched with a piece of paper

unT is last or next to last in every criteria to be elevated for future funding increases and most importantly they are dead last by miles in the single most important criteria of restricted research that must be met before any real increase in funding will occur......so currently unT is funded using the exact same formula funding rules as TAMU-C is no matter the designation of "emerging research" VS the designation from Texas for TAMU-C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
TCU is also better

the only reason to go to TAMU/Commerce is just so you can say you went to TAMU--much better alumni setup than UNT for any field but music which UNT excels in...

do an online class with UT Austin or TAMU
those classes usually meet once every two weeks or maybe once amonth

there are satellite offices in cities around the state if you are wanting a state college tuition vs private school...
check them out
know someone who did TAMU in Houston for his MBA
UT Austin (McCombs) would be the best bet in Texas. It's the highest ranked business program in the state and is in the top 10 in the nation (higher than TCU or SMU). But anyway, I'd choose UNT over "A&M Commerce" for sure! I've lived all over Texas, and this is the first time I've heard of this "A&M Commerce"-- while UNT is well known throughout the state and nation.

Also, UNT has many well renowned programs besides music, including: Counseling (#1 in Texas, #14 in the nation), RTF (#8 in the nation), Art (#13 in nation), Management (first tier regional program-- entrepreneur magazine), Emergency Administration and Planning (#1 in nation), Environmental Ethics and Philosophy (#1 in nation). UNT is also always ranked high in US News and World Reports rankings for the most affordable schools with the best quality of education. UNT is a really up and coming school... however... their football team needs work!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Also, consider UTD-- its ranked higher than SMU and TCU as well (and you might not go broke trying to go there)
UT Arlington would also be good to look at for affordability-- or possibly UH

Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
UNT is a really up and coming school... however... their football team needs work!
You're right there. Perhaps the football team should be known as the the Friendly Green. As a triple alumnus, it breaks my heart. Where is Mean Joe Greene when you need him?

The School of Business is quite good there, but the job situation isn't wonderful.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
UT Austin (McCombs) would be the best bet in Texas. It's the highest ranked business program in the state and is in the top 10 in the nation (higher than TCU or SMU).
Austin is top 20, not top 10.

Quote:
Also, consider UTD-- its ranked higher than SMU and TCU as well
UT-D (50) is ranked one spot below SMU (49), and TCU barely cracks the top 100 (94).

Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Austin is top 20, not top 10.

UT-D (50) is ranked one spot below SMU (49), and TCU barely cracks the top 100 (94).
Still McCombs is the best in the State. I was referring to MBA programs (of which McCombs is in the top 10)...
(and I know Masters in Business is different)

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Still McCombs is the best in the State. I was referring to MBA programs (of which McCombs is in the top 10)...
(and I know Masters in Business is different)

US News & World Report Top 10 MBA Programs in The United States -

Harvard
Standford
MIT (Sloan)
Northwestern (Kellogg)
University of Chicago (Booth)
U. Penn (Wharton)
Dartmouth (Tuck)
UC-Berkley (Haas)
Columbia
NYU (Stern)

McCombs is tied for 16th with Carnegie-Mellon.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
US News & World Report Top 10 MBA Programs in The United States -

Harvard
Standford
MIT (Sloan)
Northwestern (Kellogg)
University of Chicago (Booth)
U. Penn (Wharton)
Dartmouth (Tuck)
UC-Berkley (Haas)
Columbia
NYU (Stern)

McCombs is tied for 16th with Carnegie-Mellon.
Where are you getting this info?

McCombs is #7 on US News and World Report Best Business Undergrad Programs.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs - Best Colleges - Education - US News

McCombs is #7 on US News and World Report Best Part-Time MBA Program:
Part-time M.B.A. - Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

Check out all the grad business rankings here:
Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

No where does it list just "MBA Program" so I don't know what you are talking about....

Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting this info?

McCombs is #7 on US News and World Report Best Business Undergrad Programs.
Best Undergraduate Business Programs - Best Colleges - Education - US News

McCombs is #7 on US News and World Report Best Part-Time MBA Program:
Part-time M.B.A. - Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

Check out all the grad business rankings here:
Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

No where does it list just "MBA Program" so I don't know what you are talking about....

The final link you gave leads right to the Business School Rankings (MBA programs), where McCombs is #16.

Rankings - Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM

22 posts, read 54,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Don't know about the business programs specifically, but I've spent a lot of time on both campuses over the years both as a student and a presenter and conferences. The lifestyles you'll find are very different as the above poster stated......just depends on where you are comfortable and what you are looking for. I prefer Commerce myself, but then I like a slower pace, no traffic, smaller classes, lower cost of living and the personal attention I found there.
Do you know of any information I can learn from Commerce Computer Science majors. Such as their Graduation rate and Employment rate? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas