Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 PM

33 posts, read 51,932 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long story short we are planning a move to Texas (thinking Northern). Family with 2 young girls. We live in Idaho now (and have for 4 years) but we are Californians at heart. We can't really move back to Cali right now, for many reasons.

We love:

Jesus (but skip church often)
Beer
BBQ'ing
Family
Rec vehicles (boats, quads, jet skis....but only own small things now)
Camping
Hunting
Working hard (important!)
Playing
Biking/walking trails
The river/lake
The mountains (yeah, yeah I know...flat!)
Traveling
Tattoos
Motorcycles
Exploring
Laughing
Hanging out
Keeping a nice house
Cool places to shop/eat; areas with character
Genuine people who work hard
Awesome neighbors
Sunshine
Places for me to sell my artwork (totally non-traditional fantasy character type art) at fairs and arts/craft shows and such.

Housing budget: around $200k so that we can comfortably raise our kids, travel, and run a business.

Am I going to find an "area"...neighborhood/city that would best suit my family anywhere in Texas (preferably Northern?) I really like to be close to amenities, restaurants, and people, and don't want to be in a desolate area at all. I am a city girl, but need cool suburbs for my family ....so super close to the city (within 15-30 minutes I guess is what I consider close). We were thinking Dallas area generally, but if another city fits the bill better then I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
You probably want to live in a city close to lake Lewisville then. There are other great lakes around DFW but none bigger this one. Frisco, Lewisville, The Colony, are all pretty good suburbs.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Check out Grapevine. Use to just be a little farming community, but its come a long way from there. Close to area lakes (and Grapevine has some cool places on its lake) shopping, dining out. Lot of areas there will remind you of CA I think. You're close enough to downtown Dallas and Fort Worth. Not that far away from OK border and Lake Texoma. They have a number of festivals there throughout the year.

Granbury is not that far away with numerous shops you might want to display your artwork in. Same goes for Weatherford and the old town of Grapevine. Lots of craft shops. But Grapevine would suit you better I think with its easy accessibility into Dallas/Fort Worth.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Living in north TX you can get to southern Oklahoma and Arkansas with a short trip where there are beautiful mountains, lakes & camping. There is plenty to do locally or within 100 miles either direction.

The cool people here have a special cell phone area code that is top secret. Once you pass the tests to prove your as cool as I am you also will get access to that special area code. That's the way we know who is cool and who are pretenders.

Seriously, there are tons of great & friendly people in the North Dallas Corridor who you will enjoy.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM

ha!!! ooooohhhhh secret cell phone area code????? I have one right now, lol it's "916" for Sacramento that I never changed!!! cute, thanks for the info !!! hilarious....*rolls eyes with wry smile*

Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM

oh yeah and we def don't mind driving, actually quite enjoy road trips up to/under about 5-7 hours. Prefer shorter drives around 2-3 hours, but don't mind the extra trek for awesome places. We drive to Sac quite a bit (it's 12 hours give/take) and it's doable, but totally gruelling!!! I hate that drive...through the booooorrrrrriiiiiinng Nevada desert, staring at tail lights....ugh, blah! terrible!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
Why, the cool people can be found in Cool, Texas.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 PM

hahaha!! um, I hate to say this, but puns like that make you sound um...."old"!!!! lol hahahahahaaaaa

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Might check out the Austin area it fits alot of what your looking for no mountains but we do have the Hill Country several of the area school districts like Round Rock,Eanes,lake travis are great school districts. San Antonio is an hour away and Houston is 3 hours from Austin and Dallas is 4 hours you can also be at the beach in Corpus in 3 hours.

Sports Capital of Texas | Game On !

Round Rock ISD : MAIN SITE HOME

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

Old Pecan Street Festival

ROT Biker Rally | ROT Biker Rally

City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department Trails

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

YouTube - ‪Austin, Texas Tourism : Austin Tourism: SoCo District‬‎

YouTube - ‪Warehouse District Austin‬‎

Last edited by bgrn198; 08-05-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
I'd say the Auistin area too. Your list is pretty long with a lotta variables. Of course East Texas north of I-20 has a lot of those qualities (as does south of I-20).

I think you need to take a 2-3 week vacation and drive the state and make the decisions yourself. What kind of hard work you do might determine where you live.

Most of the things you have on your list are 100% controlled by you and has zip tp do with where you live and are available anywhere in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas