Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,251,839 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm just gonna ask..where are all the "cool" people in Texas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
You probably want to live in a city close to lake Lewisville then.
Spoiler
There are other great lakes around DFW but none bigger this one. Frisco, Lewisville, The Colony, are all pretty good suburbs
I was thinking, for the cool people the north shore of Lake Texoma would be most suitable. Though yeah, Lewisville might be suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM

556 posts, read 1,568,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79caligirl View Post
hahaha!! um, I hate to say this, but puns like that make you sound um...."old"!!!! lol hahahahahaaaaa

Wit equates to "old,"......hmm........

You may not be cool enough to move to Cool, Texas. I retract the offer.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM

33 posts, read 52,070 times
Thanks for the info!!! BobTex, although I agree that many of these things are controlled by me, I am also looking for like-minded people and communities because we are social people. So the area means a bit to me when it comes to that. I can certainly be content anywhere, but I really want to be comfortable in terms of the people if I can't move back home to California. I don't want to be a work hard/play hard family in a "sleepy" community of people who keep to themselves and prefer things like scrapbooking, strict schedules, and playdates (although I like those things also, just not what I want to live everyday!). We like to change things up.

I love energy and don't much care for sleepy towns like the one I live in now (unless it were right outside the city and I could visit a lot!). I like to relax and enjoy nature, but I like to have the option. I live in Idaho Falls now, and we ARE the city as far as the people here are concerned. And when I say city, I mean there are 2 WalMarts, a mall, a movie theater, and a City Hall. Drive in any direction for hours (except Yellowstone) and you are in farm country or the desert. It's not really for me, and considering I am an artist (wasn't professional before I moved here), I need more people and resources. I am not looking for galleries or to display my work there. My business model is different than that; I just need places where people congregate and there are festivals, fairs, and farmer's/craft markets.

I also should mention that I really like trees and lots of vegetation. I know it's a lot to ask for, but I much more prefer nooks and crannies and character to open spaces and farmland for miles I was spoiled by all the wonderful landscaping in Northern California. Where I live now the county doesn't do a great job of beautifying the city, and it really bothers me because we take pride in our home. I know that pretty much any area in Texas is going to be a great move from here.

I visited Dallas area last year, Denton specifically. It looks a lot like what I am looking for, BUT I got a little bit of a sleepiness from it. Too relaxing and some of the areas weren't quite developed enough for me in the newer housing developments. I wish I had more time to spend there, I am thinking of a trip in Sept/Oct this year. I think 30 minutes outside of Dallas and Fort Worth is too far. What areas JUST outside the cities would be recommended for people like us? Still love beautiful houses and neighbors, just need cool ones !!!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Pontificator, I really was joking! It might be a very cool place indeed! Truce!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Also BobTex, thanks so much for the links! Very helpful !

Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM

556 posts, read 1,568,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79caligirl View Post
Pontificator, I really was joking! It might be a very cool place indeed! Truce!
Truce accepted!

Cool undoubtedly would not be your cup of tea.....but it made for great fun! It boasts one recently-opened cafe; the sign reads something like if we're not Open, we're Shut. Hand-lettered, of course. Not much more to Cool than that, though I am partial to the rolling scenery.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,278,151 times
Pontificator: I agree. The landscapes near Mineral Wells are beautiful!

As for where all the 'cool' people are...I'd say we are thinly distributed throughout the state, not all in one place. Whatever you may think 'cool' is.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,797,391 times
Austin or the Dfw area(namely Southlake or Grapevine)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks I'll look into those areas !

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

148 posts, read 359,663 times
I lived in Denton and really enjoyed it. However, your list really fits the Austin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas