Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times

Advertisements

That must be why there are about 400 people living in my community but they claim there are 4,000!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, Sevier County is indeed dry. The city of Gatlinburg allows liquor sales, but the second you leave the city limits of Gatlinburg and find yourself in unincorporated Sevier County, you cannot purchase liquor (legally).
I remember when we stayed in Pigeon Forge we were able to purchase Beer. If i remember correctly, it was at a Walgreens right on the strip somewhere.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 PM

Yes, you can get beer now, I guess. But you have to go to the Gatlinburg liquor store for the other stuff. I'd love to own that business!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, you can get beer now, I guess. But you have to go to the Gatlinburg liquor store for the other stuff. I'd love to own that business!
That's right, and "liquor" does not refer to beer, oddly enough. Most dry counties still allow the sale of beer, but not liquor (wine, cognac, whiskey, etc.). And many cities, such as Cookeville, allow liquor by the drink in large restaurants (Red Lobster, Chili's, O'Charley's, etc.) but do not allow package stores.

And for the record, Comfortably*Numb, Turkey Creek is most certainly in the Knoxville city limits. That's why you can buy liquor there. Look at a map and you can see how the Knoxville city limits are gerrymandered hither and thither to places such as Turkey Creek, Strawberry Plains Pike, Northshore, etc., so that places like Ruby Tuesday or Puleo's can sell liquor. I think it's pretty funny (and somewhat silly).

Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 19,085 times
Exclamation Dry Counties

I know this may sound crazy, but I do not understand what a Dry County is I recently read this in a Tennesse guide book as we were preparing our itenary. I am not much of a drinker but we are coming to Lake Douglas and some of the family likes to have beer, especially as we will be on vacation.

Can we buy beer in grocery stores or do we need to bring our own from out of state. Can we bring our own? Is this readily available in Gaitlinburg or Pigeon Forge or even in Sevierville?
What about the local attractions - Is there beer or alcohol served in say Dollywood?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:25 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Beer is sold in grocery stores in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc. However, Alcohol is prohibited in Dollywood.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 58,400 times
I always wondered why Dollywood and the Pigeon Forge Dixie Stampede prohibit alcohol while the Orlando Dixie Stampede permits it.

You should be able to purchase beer in Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. If not, I KNOW you can purchase beer (as well as wine and liquor) in Gatlinburg.

If you wish to drink alcohol when dining, go to one of the following: Park Grill, Hard Rock Cafe, Ruby Tuesday's, or TGI Friday's (all in Gatlinburg), or the Applewood Winery (or whatever it's called in Sevierville). I would imagine the O'Charley's in Pigeon Forge would also serve alcohol as well.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Once again, you can purchase beer in restaurants in Pigeon Forge. There is no alcohol in Dollywood because she choses not to have it here.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 18,851 times
I'm not sure why everyone jumped on FAWKES. I agree, these rules are stupid. Read these posts! No one understands how this all works and no one can find a source to clarify it. Then there's the point that these laws are accomplishing nothing. Again, read the posts. People just drive to a wet county and load up on whatever they need for a period of time.

The days of Alvin York are long gone. Your not going to stop people from drinking by not selling it in a county. We have cars now! Laws are supposed to accomplish something, these laws do not. When these laws are challenged and it's brought to a vote to check the will of the people, they vote it back just so it won't look bad.

As for those that told Fawkes to not come, if she didn't like it, I believe the 1st Amendment of the Constitution grants her the ability to speak how she feels. And, as a US citizen, she has the right to live where ever she wants. Even, if she doesn't agree with your view.

As far as changing Tennessee, I say bring it on if it makes sense!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm8455 View Post
As for those that told Fawkes to not come, if she didn't like it, I believe the 1st Amendment of the Constitution grants her the ability to speak how she feels. And, as a US citizen, she has the right to live where ever she wants. Even, if she doesn't agree with your view.

As far as changing Tennessee, I say bring it on if it makes sense!
No one has said that Fawkes doesn't have the right to say what she said.

And I certainly hope that you're not suggesting that those who disagree with her don't have the right to tell her how we feel. That freedom of speech thing works both ways, you know. You may have the freedom to say what you want, but I also have the freedom to say that I think you're wrong.

As has been posted umpteen times on here, we welcome anyone to move to Tennessee. However, when some people whine and complain as soon as they cross the state line, it's probably in everyone's best interest that they go back from whence they came. It's a free country, as you said, and I have the right to not want to live next to someone who doesn't like the way we do things in Tennessee.

Last edited by JMT; 12-23-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee