Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,060,134 times

Advertisements

Hey Lisa,

I read through your story and really respect the effort and work you have put into your dreams. You and your husband are an inspiration and have really motivated me to do some home remodeling. Keep up the good work and sharing your experiences.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 27,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
I am curious, what part of the contry your from and what type of buildings you are talking about.

you must be talking about barn builders......because i am not aware of any certified (MBMA) metal building manufacter in the country that advocates attaching panels down through the raised ribs for reasons to many to list in one post.

Ttazzman.

I live in Australia and we have been using this method since..well...forever.. No problems that I know of, and is done that way to prevent leakage around the screws.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Quenda/House/House13-11-09013Medium.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Quenda/House/House13-11-09015Medium.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Quenda/House/House13-11-09005Medium.jpg (broken link)

Sorry for butting into your thread, Lisa.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM

181 posts, read 465,152 times
I think it's cool how people from all over are into this thread !

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 73,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMuggleton View Post
Ttazzman.

I live in Australia and we have been using this method since..well...forever.. No problems that I know of, and is done that way to prevent leakage around the screws.
That method was discontinued on all buildings except high slope roofed buildings with corrogated barn tin roofs in the US about 20-30 years ago for a couple of reasons

Underwriters Labratorys determined that style of attachment couldnt withstand wind uplift meaning there is a much higher chance of the roof actually blowing off .....so you cant buy insurance or your insurance rates were much higher

The metal roofing industry MBMA determined that style of attachment actually had more leak problems for for several reasons i would be happy to share if you have a real intrest in a PM dont wana get to long or technical unless there is a real desire or need

the main reason i asked the question is because i knew you had to be somewhere other than the US to use that fastening system

G-Day mate!!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 27,875 times
SFLWR....the internet has opened up a whole new learning experience, hasn't it. I do enjoy seeing how things are done in different countries.

G'Day Ttazzman...
I do find it interesting the different building methods used in different countries. I have been very curious about the use of Asphalt Tiles for years now, you sound like you may be able to answer a question or two for me, so will take you up on the offer of using the PM....Thankyou.
Now where is the PM button..

Old 11-13-2009, 10:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,356,662 times
Thanks for letting me ask my question, Lisa!

Thanks for all that are trying to help!

It's a carport, but I guess we could put a hole in it rather than have the roof cave in. My husband has been climbing up on the roof and sweeping off the water. We have some sort of rubber compound that we used. It looks like the previous owners did this, too.

This is not the original building. There used to be a two-car garage. They made that into a family room/bathroom/laundry room/storage room, with fieldstone patio. That looks good.

Then someone decided to add on a carport to the back of the house. That's the flat roof. Added onto that is the workshop, that has a slanted roof. Someone went wrong with the carport!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,428,331 times
Default Chapter 80 9-6-09

Hello everyone.

It's time for my final chapter. It has been a year and a half since Mike and I started our journey. I have enjoyed writing this story for all of you and getting to know so many of you. I want to thank everyone for sharing in our experience. You have all been there through the ups and downs, all of our dilemmas, mistakes and solutions.

I appreciate all of our readers including those who have been with us since the beginning and also the new readers who seem to keep finding our story. I am very thankful for all of your suggestions and help through all the phases of our building process. I have learned so many things from you and I hope many of you have also learned some things.

If it wasn't for all of you continuing to read, I would have stopped writing a long time ago. So thank you to all of our faithful readers for sharing in our lives. I am still truly amazed and humbled that so many people enjoy our story. I will miss writing it.

I will write next spring with any updates or changes we make on our property so I won't be gone for good.

So let me take you back to the last of the Fall work.

9-6
Now that we know we made a mistake with our electric for the inspector, we have to get a meter can. We head out and try Lowe's first and they don't carry them. Uh oh. Next we try Home Depot and thankfully they have one.

We get back home and Mike starts working on the meter can. He has to also re do some of the wiring. Mike spoke to the inspector and he told Mike how he wants the wires run. Mike doesn't think it sounds right but "you don't question the inspector", lol. So Mike wires it the way the inspector told him to.

Three wires are in the meter can.

The inside box is redone.

9-7
Today is our last day of mowing the other property. Woo hoo. We bring all of the equipment home and clean it up.

9-8
First thing this morning we go to the electric company to talk to the inspector. We want to make sure we are on the schedule for today's inspection. It's a good thing we stopped in. Apparently there was a misunderstanding of what Mike had to do. We now have to go home and re do the wires,the way Mike originally thought, before the inspector shows up. Boy we do re do things a lot, lol.

The correct box on the inside.

And the correct meter can on the outside of the barn.

We passed the final inspection. Woo hoo. Now we are ready for electric service to our barn.

9-9
Just a new view form the top back of our property.

9-11
Today we got a call from the paving contractors. They want to come and do the curbing today. Woo hoo. You know we would never turn down any contractor who wants to work.

They will be doing the curbs by hand. First they roll on an adhesive, shovel the asphalt mix onto the road, and then they form it.

Curbs going down the side of our house.

Rolling on the adhesive.

Shoveling it out and forming the curbs.

As they head down the driveway Mike helps them decide where to leave cut outs. We want openings in the curbing where the driveway slopes off. This when when it rains or snows any of the run off will go into the ditch. Here is the driveway with curbing and one opening.

The curbing is done. Now we just have to hope the cows don't step on it and crush it.

9-14
Well the cows were good and we had no squashed curbs.

We did get a mess form the flying pollen(?) It looks like feathers all over the curbing. I guess our curbs got tarred and feathered, lol.

9-15
The kids are coming for dinner tonight so while I cook and clean Mike works on some oddball jobs.

Here he is caulking again. Next year we will do the finish on the sides of the house.

He also built a box to cover the water and electric lines going into the house. This is the water line that cracked last year when it got below freezing.

It is now stuffed with insulation so hopefully there will be no cracks this year.

And the last job he did was paint the one ceiling tile that got stained. We found a special spray paint that is made for ceiling tile touch up.

That was the last of the work. Now it's time to enjoy dinner and having the kids over.

That is the last of our story. I will leave you all with one final view picture.

I hope you all have a wonderful winter. Happy Holidays and I will catch up with you next spring. Mike and I still have many jobs to do but we have to wait for the warmer weather.

Lisa, Mike, and Niki

Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM

181 posts, read 465,152 times
Absolutly gorgeous views !!!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,356,010 times
Lisa,
I have enjoyed being on this "ride" with you and Mike. I've never missed a monday update and look forward to it each week. I'll be looking for you next spring. Have a relaxing winter and happy holidays.
Pam

Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 65,634 times
Lisa, I have read your weekly postings for over a year, and its with a heavy heart that I realize I won't have your updates to look forward to every week. I do hope you will update us in the Spring, and in the meantime I wish you both an enjoyable winter and the happiest of holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee