Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM

24,784 posts, read 28,669,105 times

Advertisements

Copy & Paste....
Lisa~Mike
Another curious question ? I presume your using a lap top, what effects will all the electrical do to the signal or any interruption from being below ground? Seeing you have that corner of the home as your office.... ? Curious minds want to know.......

Old 08-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,024,330 times
I can't see that as being a problem. I'm in a hotel and there's plenty of electric stuff above, below and beside me. No reason the relatively small amount of stuff in her house should be a problem.

And it's not really underground....it's got a roof pretty much like any house, so the underground part shouldn't be an issue.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times
Thanks for the help on the multiple quotes.

Yes I use a lap top which hardly uses any power at all so no problems there, thankfully. I also have satellite Internet and the dish will be set up near Mike's satellite TV dish, which will be set up somewhere behind the house. Those are our 2 must haves. Other than that and tools we hardly use any electric. Right now my satellite and computer are on "M&L Power". And I'm making coffee on the gas stove with a percolator which makes great coffee, although it takes a little longer- that's why Mike is still in bed. We'll put the propane water heater on in a little while so we can take showers. No other electric needed today.

Lisa

Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 AM

653 posts, read 1,926,183 times
lisa, are all lighting set up using 12 volt or 110 volt ?. and any though on either.
thanks.

will it be a chapter on plumbing and water supply in the house?.

Last edited by boonelsewhere; 08-09-2008 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: add more

Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
lisa, are all lighting set up using 12 volt or 110 volt ?. and any though on either.
thanks.

will it be a chapter on plumbing and water supply in the house?.

We will be using compact flourescent 110 bulbs, low voltage dc lighting in the kitchen. Also in the future we may add dc lighting to the home. DC lighting is not very bright but it should work really well under the kitchen cabinets.

As we get farther along I will include info on the plumbing and water. We will be using the newer red and blue plastic pipes for all our plumbing. It will be a first time for us. We have always used copper.

Lisa

Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 AM

24,784 posts, read 28,669,105 times
DC lighting look at LED lights......

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 08-09-2008 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Dang Bifocals typo

Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,113,882 times
LISA,

Do you need a permit for your septic system ?

I don't see vent pipes for your plumbing, hope this happens...

As stated before, dirt against plywood on ends will be a problem.Also untreated wood against concrete floors can be source for problems.

Would your solar panels be more effective if the back edge was raised to ~ 30° ?

Your place is looking really good....

Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 AM

62 posts, read 459,671 times
Younglisa, back to the 'satellite internet' can you give us a quick rundown of how this works? Cost of the satellite? Range (I assume it works everywhere)? Do you 'subscribe' with someone and pay a monthly fee, or did you just buy the dish, and thats it? Do you run a line from the dish directly to your laptop, or does it feed a modem/router setup for a wireless laptop?

Thanks, just curious for future reference. This is our second month of switching over to broadband access. It works wherever cell phones work, interstates, driving around the city...but you get into rural areas with no cell towers and it loses connection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks for the help on the multiple quotes.

Yes I use a lap top which hardly uses any power at all so no problems there, thankfully. I also have satellite Internet and the dish will be set up near Mike's satellite TV dish, which will be set up somewhere behind the house. Those are our 2 must haves. Other than that and tools we hardly use any electric. Right now my satellite and computer are on "M&L Power". And I'm making coffee on the gas stove with a percolator which makes great coffee, although it takes a little longer- that's why Mike is still in bed. We'll put the propane water heater on in a little while so we can take showers. No other electric needed today.

Lisa

Old 08-09-2008, 12:47 PM

182 posts, read 781,645 times
Been reading your blogs since the first day . .thanks so much for sharing lisa . .
Your mike sounds like the best handyman i have ever heard of . . Is there anything the man cant' do /??? Cook , wash clothes ?? ? Hahaha

keep u p posting . .and the great work . .someday when you are looking out of your brand new 'berm' house , at that wonderful view .(which, btw is on my desktop at this moment) , and thnk .. . Look what 'we' did . .

God bless you both . . .you're an inspration for all americans . .
Your ancestors would be proud i'm sure . .

Jeanne

Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 20,508 times
Default Long Island is Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you so much for that very nice post. We really appreciate it.
Mike and Lisa,

Just wanted to let you know that David passed along your "work in progress" to your sisters. I am enjoying watching both of you -- such hard workers. Where did you learn to do this????? Tomorrow is Mom's 75th Birthday, and I am going to bring my laptop so she and Daddy can view your progress first hand. Like so many of the other bloggers, I am enjoying your diary and photos. I am truly impressed!

Love,
Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee