Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,020 times

Advertisements

I thought that I had read that Hardiplank was making a cement composite roof shingle that looked and wore like slate.

I just did a quick search on the internet and did not find anything on that shingle, but I believe it is being used. This would be an attractive alternative for me if I was building.

It would naturally cost more than the architectural shingles, but less than a tile or slate roof (which has gone through the roof pricewise, so to speak!). It seems that it would offer all of the advantages of stone, however, I think the jury is still out on the longevity of cement composite.

SMG, I am with you. There is nothing to compare to the sound of a "gentle" rain on a metal roof - especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM

24,773 posts, read 28,551,068 times
From 2003 I would presume their still in use........

Aluminum Now Online (broken link)

Aluma-Lock Roofing - Salt Lake City, Utah

Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Very informative websites, Tinman. The second one mentions that cement roofing tiles are extremely heavy, deteriorate over time, and add to structure integrity with the addition of snow loads (which I wouldn't expect to be a problem here!).

I would not vote on Hardiplank roofing. I want something that will last my lifetime - and that is getting less and less of a restriction!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,661,388 times
Ah Tinman! You've done it now! The aluminum shingles were beautiful! I wonder about walking on them? They mentioned that it would not damage the shingle but would they be very slippery? Probably, but who knows?

Thought I love the aluminum shingles I will probably go with the architectural shingles. We put on a small laundry room and those were what we used along with cedar shake siding. It turned out so cute. I love the look and now will have to do the whole house this summer.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Default shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ah Tinman! You've done it now! The aluminum shingles were beautiful! I wonder about walking on them? They mentioned that it would not damage the shingle but would they be very slippery? Probably, but who knows?

Thought I love the aluminum shingles I will probably go with the architectural shingles. We put on a small laundry room and those were what we used along with cedar shake siding. It turned out so cute. I love the look and now will have to do the whole house this summer.
The shingles I saw at a trade show 20+ years ago had a foam core....

Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I like the metal roof most I see have up too 50 year warranty.
But here's a alternative a number of companys are making these..............

DaVinci Roofscapes.Beautifully Authentic Synthetic Roofing Shingles (http://www.davinciroofscapes.com/support/inquiries.html - broken link)
Has anyone used these synthetics or know how the DaVinci Synthetic Slate wears? I would want a LOT of info before trying something new, but they do look authentic.

Thanks, Tinman.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Default synthetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekeeper View Post
Has anyone used these synthetics or know how the DaVinci Synthetic Slate wears? I would want a LOT of info before trying something new, but they do look authentic.

Thanks, Tinman.
Theirs a number of companies that sell the synthetics. I would presume that under writers/ UL lab would have all sorts of info..... on all building materials

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM

851 posts, read 2,459,816 times
Thank you to everyone. I knew I could depend you guys. Some great info.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Theirs a number of companies that sell the synthetics. I would presume that under writers/ UL lab would have all sorts of info..... on all building materials
Of course, Tinman. Thank you.

I hope that this was of some help, Florida to Niota! It certainly was for me!! Thank you, friends.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Default Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemkeeper View Post
Of course, Tinman. Thank you.

I hope that this was of some help, Florida to Niota! It certainly was for me!! Thank you, friends.
We all need too have a roof over are heads....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee