Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 13,028 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

There's a possibility that my family and I may have a great job opportunity in West TN. I'm originally from the area, sort of - The Fulton, KY area, to be exact, but haven't been back in 15 years.

The job will involve travel all around the area, from Martin to Memphis, and as far east as the Parsons area.

Here's the kicker: we're, um, liberals. We're friendly, we get along with folks, but we're introverts. We don't march in rallies, but we may put up a yard sign in election season. We value progressive ideals. Our families are full of conservative folks, we're used to it, and we get along just fine. I just wonder if there are any areas out there where we may be able to find some like-minded folks so we don't feel ostracized. We've got a kindergartener and I want to make sure he sees examples of all types of folks and values, not just the monoculture of an area. A little blue oasis in a red sea?

Here's the other thing. We're not churchgoers. Churches are fine, I love churches! But we don't go, and we don't really plan on going. We have no distaste for those who do, but we don't want there to be much distaste for us, either, for not going. We do love sports, so there's that. If it would help us integrate into the community, I could see us checking out a UU congregation or maybe a liberal presbyterian congregation, if there's one out there.

We like locally-owned businesses, we like fresh food, we love live music. We like walking and hiking. We don't like hunting and fishing (as activities for ourselves, the fact that others do them is a-ok by us).

Advice? Am I being too fearful? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is Martin the best bet since there's a University there (and, by proxy, academic types)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I would look in Memphis. There are nice neighborhoods there, and I've known MANY people there who would fit your description.

Martin is a very small town, and even though it has a university, it's not exactly a liberal enclave.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Concern troll is concerned.

You're originally from 20 miles up the road from Martin and you're asking about that remote town of 10,000 people? IMO you're trolling...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 AM

No trolling, man. I haven't set foot in the area in 15 years, and when I was there, I didn't really care about things like that.

The job is based in Jackson, and I don't know much about Jackson, nor really anything south of Martin. I spent most of my time in the Paducah area when I was looking for things to do. Memphis may be a little far for all the driving I'd be doing, but maybe it's worth a look. Any other thoughts?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Other thoughts? Jackson is the largest city in the area and has plenty of liberals (almost half the population voted for Obama), if that's important to you. If moving near family is important, then Martin is a good choice. If good schools are important and moving outside of Memphis is an option, then a nice suburb might be a fine choice (except for the "monoculture").

Since you grew up in a small town in the rural south (~20 miles from Martin) you should know what the culture of that area is like. Would your (conservative) family bother you for a sign in your yard? Neither will your neighbors (although they may not warm up to you). Does your employer know that you're a leftist? That might be the biggest problem...

Last edited by JMT; 07-23-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Let's not interject political smack into posts.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Do you need to be centrally located in West TN, then?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM

473 posts, read 521,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Does your employer know that you're a leftist? That might be the biggest problem...
What's implied here is seriously disturbing if it's true.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Do you need to be centrally located in West TN, then?
Need? Probably not, but it's a consideration. The driving schedule would change every few months, so something central is ideal for that, but not necessary. I'm just looking for names of areas to research, I suppose.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
What's implied here is seriously disturbing if it's true.
Agreed, but my answer to it is that the employer doesn't care. Which is good. I'm not seeking to only be around people like myself, I'd just like *some* people around me to have similar views. I don't distrust people outright based on their values, but I guess not everyone is like that? Actions over words.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Also, the person that wrote that doesn't live in Tenn. That is not to say that his views are unusual. Maybe they do reflect the area, but that rude response is not from a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee