Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 130,607 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

We are considering relocating from So. Cal. to Tennessee. We are looking for lower cost of living, larger acreage for our horses, and a more Republican state. Anyhoo . . . what area would you suggest for the mild climate, low humidity and light winters (a little snow is OK). We have heard that Tellico Plains is beautiful. What is the weather like there?

Thank you very much!

The Happy Horse Ranch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Howdy!

I don't know much about Tellico Plains, but welcome to the Tennessee forum.

You're not afraid of cows are you? (Just kidding . . . we've been having a lot of fun with one of our new arrivals from New Jersey the past couple of days: go ahead you can laugh ).

Last edited by alleycat; 11-07-2007 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 130,607 times
You have cows???!!!!! AGHHHH!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM

611 posts, read 2,000,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhorseranch View Post
Howdy!

We are considering relocating from So. Cal. to Tennessee. We are looking for lower cost of living, larger acreage for our horses, and a more Republican state. Anyhoo . . . what area would you suggest for the mild climate, low humidity and light winters (a little snow is OK). We have heard that Tellico Plains is beautiful. What is the weather like there?

Thank you very much!

The Happy Horse Ranch

Shoot howdy backatchya . Welcome, I'm a newbie to this forum so not sure if I can really welcome you but I did so well go from there.

You might want to look for a mtn top community to avoid the humidity. I live on a mtn (only 1,790 ele. so really a hill to y'all ). In the summers we are 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the valley / city. I don't know much about Tellico other than it is beautiful.

Last edited by RiverView; 11-07-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhorseranch View Post
You have cows???!!!!! AGHHHH!
And elephants.

No, really, the Elephant Sanctuary is in Hohenwald.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
And elephants.

No, really, the Elephant Sanctuary is in Hohenwald.
We do have lions and tigers near Knoxville.
Tiger Haven
It doesn't allow visitors. However, through an unusual set of circumstances, I was able to go out there one day several years ago. Incredible experience.
What kind of horses? There are different types in different areas of the state. Around Nashville you'll find the show horses and probably some saddlebred. The suburbs south of there -- Franklin, Murfreesboro and that area -- are serious horse country for that type. Farther south is walking horse country, centering on Shelbyville.
Around Knoxville and East Tennessee, you'll find quarter horses and trail riders.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM

65 posts, read 371,381 times
Well, we trail ride our Quarter Horses and will be moving to south central Tennessee in a couple of years. We also plan on adding some cattle to our menagerie--we like to ranch rope! We also needed more acreage for our four legged family at a price we could afford and still retire.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,414,660 times
knoxgarden, according to their website, tiger haven does offer an unofficial tour...I hope that's the case, we're looking forward to checking them out!

And don't forget, speaking of elephants, the murder trial and execution of Mary the elephant back in the day!

Apparently Tennessee cows ain't what you should be afraid of!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
And don't forget, speaking of elephants, the murder trial and execution of Mary the elephant back in the day!
Wow, someone is going way back in time.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I read about the elephant on the internet before I moved here, too. There's a lot of info about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee