Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM

37,890 posts, read 41,371,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Howdy!

I don't know much about Tellico Plains, but welcome to the Tennessee forum.

You're not afraid of cows are you? (Just kidding . . . we've been having a lot of fun with one of our new arrivals from New Jersey the past couple of days: https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...can-laugh.html ).
What about those kamikaze cows that break free from their ranches and dive off cliffs to end it all? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Look! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a ... cow?! (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071107/NEWS06/711070313/1001 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,325,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What about those kamikaze cows that break free from their ranches and dive off cliffs to end it all? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Look! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a ... cow?! (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071107/NEWS06/711070313/1001 - broken link)
If the world didn't have enough problems . . . now we have to be on lookout for flying cows.

What next? Tunnel digging elephants in your yard?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM

70 posts, read 300,134 times
Default Another SoCal transplant to Tennessee

Hello!

I grew up in SoCal and have also lived in several other parts of the country before settling here in the Tennessee Valley. My wife and I have lived in this area about 20 years and we absolutely love it here! We are now empty nesters.

We live in McMinn County which is abut 40 minutes from Tellico Plains, down towards Chattanooga. We are actually almost exactly in the middle between Chattanooga and Knoxville, just off I-75. The county seat is Athens - which has a population of around 18,000 (more if you count the dogs and cats).

McMinn County is very popular with folks moving into the country life and we have met a number of new transplants from all over the country. Most everyone loves it here, as we do!

We have about 7 acres of land, with several out buildings. We own one of the oldest homes in the county - built in 1838 - and we have just recently finished a complete restoration. It has been featured in the local paper twice and will be included in a new book being published by the McMinn County Historical Society of important historical buildings in the county. The interesting part of this is that we have decided to sell our home - probably next Spring.

Incidentally, 2 of our neighbors have horses.

Tellico Plains is a beautiful area - as is all of Tennessee - but it has been feeling the pressures of development as a new distant-suberb for Knoxville. Real Estate has sky-rocketed in the last couple of years. But then, it's all relative, isn't it? The cost of living here is a whole lot less than in California! That's one of the reasons we really like it here - quality high, cost low.

I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,338 times
In my opinion Tennessee is very horse friendly with a wide range on options. Although there are people who do everything everywhere, I also see the state in regions. Southern Missouri, right next door, is excellent for trail riding. Memphis area has quite a bit of hunter-jumper stuff. Mid west has several trail riding camps - the week long variety. Nashville has a mix with some driving, dressage and, again, a high amount of hunter-jumper. Mid east has more trail riding and cow stuff. Knoxville area to the Smokies is trail riding again. Mid south has a large number of Walking Horse and Saddlebred. Quarter Horses all over. Arabs in the mid state. Not much harness stuff.
That being said, there is something for everyone everywhere. Just a little harder to find in some areas.
Many of the state, national, and even local parks have riding trails. There are active saddle clubs which have shows every weekend - mostly WP and speed classes. Pony Clup has active groups also.
I'm in the mid state area. We have it all!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,395 times
Default you might consider Maryville

Tellico Plains is a beautiful area, but if you have children the schools will be a disappointment. I might consider Blount County where you would be in the Maryville city school district. I would consider that area even without children. You are at the foot of the Smokey Mountains (depending on the property you buy) and the weather will be somewhat less humid there.

Last edited by momoftripletsplus1; 06-17-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM

440 posts, read 1,098,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Howdy!

I don't know much about Tellico Plains, but welcome to the Tennessee forum.

You're not afraid of cows are you? (Just kidding . . . we've been having a lot of fun with one of our new arrivals from New Jersey the past couple of days: https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...can-laugh.html ).

That was funny! Instead of "Happy Cows" they are thinking "Attack Cows"! *L*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee