Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,306 times

Advertisements

I've posted some threads in here about getting a job as a police officer in both the alabama and tennessee forums. Now i have another question?
Whats the difference between Alabama and Tennessee?
I've been to both and both seem to have very nice down home people, and good food. But i'm wanting to know differences wether it's big or small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I've lived in Tennessee most of my life, but went to school in Alabama (Auburn).

It's very hard to describe, but there it a certain "feeling" that is different in Alabama from Tennessee, at least from Birmingham south (I think of northern Alabama has being more similar to Tennessee). Maybe it's because Alabama has traditionally been part of the "deep south" and Tennessee hasn't. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just that there's a slightly different outlook on life, and something of a different culture.

I have no idea which one you would be happier living in.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM

well here are some things i guess i should have listed when i posted this. I'm orginally from a town just outside of indianapolis. And what i loved about that was that i wasn't that far from the city so i could go into the city and have fun, go to the mall, sporting events, and just experience the city, but was still able to go home to a small town after (town isn't so small anymore).
I now live in iowa, we moved here after i graduated hs cause my dad got a job out here. Iowa is ok the people are nice and everything, it's just i don't feel at "home" here, if that makes any sense. Each time i've been to alabama and tennessee i've felt like i was back home. I think one of the reasons is because in indiana i was so used to going and playing in the woods and being near trees and various types of landscapes, and here in iowa it's plains plains plains and corn. It gets dull after awhile.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Both are great states. Alabama has a different tax structure than TN. Of course, you can research the geographical differences, etc. yourself. I think that within TN the state is very diverse and I am sure that the same can be said for Alabama. It is very difficult to generally compare as there are probably towns and situations that many of us would be happy living in within either state. You might be better off posting something like this in General US vs the state forum. Opinions in either state will be bias.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Alabama has a coach who knows how to win football games in the 21st century.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:08 PM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times
Not nice Pimpy, not nice at all...

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Images/homer_simpson_doh_02.gif (broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 10:32 PM

so pretty much what i've gathered there both pretty much the same? with the exception of geographics?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
so pretty much what i've gathered there both pretty much the same? with the exception of geographics?
Well yea, except we're better!

(except for football, sigh)

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM

haha hey vandy beat auburn there's nothing wrong with that

Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
Oh man, I live right on the TN / AL line. The competition is fierce in football season!! Half the school comes in wearing TN orange, and the other half comes wearing AL crimson... but it's all in good fun. You'd be happy in either place i'd say. (But TN is better) hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee