Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Right...but being a transactional/commission based line of work...if I don't work, I don't get paid. Or at least not as much. My dad was in a similar line of work and always got exempted from jury pools under that clause.
State law says that your work must pay you. Commission is over and above and you'd have to prove that it would be a hardship to be without it. They could consider it hardship but ultimately, it's up to the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM

394 posts, read 795,326 times
I moved here in June 2010. Start my 2 weeks Tuesday. The system here seems different from my experience in Md. We'll see how it goes.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 572 times
Default Eligible for jury duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Right...but being a transactional/commission based line of work...if I don't work, I don't get paid. Or at least not as much. My dad was in a similar line of work and always got exempted from jury pools under that clause.

I guess it depends on what court and county. In Shelby County, it doesn't matter what type of job you have. I have been called when I was on a salary, and another time when I earned a commission. I was not excused. I think it changes depending on the amount of their jury pool. I was seated on a jury regarding an auto accident. I was very surprised since I was an auto adjuster, but I was not sent back to the pool. It was actually very interesting. I was surprised that once I was done with that case...just a day, I was released from jury duty. It has been almost 10 years. I haven't heard what the time frame it take to be sent a jury notice again.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,551,439 times
I've been here 7 years and never called and neither has my husband. I was called once in my adult life and it was after I had moved out of state.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,345,458 times
I have been summoned twice. Once I was in college, and I was excused (Davidson County court). The other time (more recently) it was for Federal Court (in Nashville). I was not excused, but they weren't too busy with cases, so when I was not selected, I was excused (and that summons was supposed to last a month!).

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
The one I was called for was a murder trial, huge number of potential jurors. Judge was adamant that virtually no one be excused for hardship except for those who had serious health issues and those who had language problems. He refused to excuse people because of job hardships, eldercare or childcare problems, etc. I was hoping to serve so I could miss a couple weeks of work (sequestered jury), but no luck for me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee