Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 44,033 times

Advertisements

I recently heard from a friend that there are many gangs in West Pasco, Florida. This really disturbed me as I have nieces and nephews that reside there. Can anyone tell me if they have any knowledge or personal experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Here is a list of Florida gangs and their locations:

Florida Gangs -- Gangs and Security Threat Group Awareness

Old 07-12-2008, 12:56 PM

126 posts, read 538,915 times
I've never seen that Website. Thanks - Unfortunately, gangs are everywhere. I don't think you can get away from them. I've heard of some in Eastern Hillsborough County that aren't listed on the site.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM

849 posts, read 2,923,216 times
West Pasco has NUMEROUS juvenile gangs. The Valentine Bloods, the West Pasco Crazy Crips, just to name a few. These "gangs" are simply juveniles trying to emulate what they see on TV; they really are just some white punk kids who try to act like they are in some rap video. The problem is, we are also seeing Latin Kings in the area, and those guys don't play. It is getting bad here, but it is nowhere NEAR what it was like in Southern California (I lived there for 25 years). The gang activity is still pretty tame, but there are some gang related crimes springing up here from time to time. The sheriff's department in Pasco is severely understaffed, and they have no clue how to deal with the issue, so all the drug sellers are coming into the county because they feel they can get away with crime due to the poor police presence and enforcement. Ask your relatives about how many times they see a cruiser in their neighborhood, let alone in their daily travels. I'd bet they never see one. The sheriff there is running that county into the ground and all the deputies are leaving to go to Tampa or Pinellas.
I have seen crime here skyrocket in the past 5 years.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 44,033 times
Hi,

thanks for the responses. I was actually at Hollywood 18 the other day (still light out) which is one of the places I was told to stay away from, and it seemed pretty safe. There were families with young kids attending. I guess it must be on Friday nights that it's not safe. What about Gulfview Square Mall? I guess the same applies. Safe during daytime hours, not so much at night.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthree View Post
Hi,

thanks for the responses. I was actually at Hollywood 18 the other day (still light out) which is one of the places I was told to stay away from, and it seemed pretty safe. There were families with young kids attending. I guess it must be on Friday nights that it's not safe. What about Gulfview Square Mall? I guess the same applies. Safe during daytime hours, not so much at night.
I take my 12 year old daughter and her friend to Gulfview and they run off and do thier thing.
I never have any fear that there will be a problem.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Gulfview is not too bad. Hollywood 18 is packed with kids on Friday and Saturday nights, but they ususally hire off duty police officers to work security there to keep the problems to a minimum; I think it works pretty well. I prefer to go to Citrus Park or Palm Harbor Muvico, they are usually not too bad either. Gulfview has some little punks that go there, but that's typical mall activity. Haven't been any shootings there or anything majorly gang related.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 AM

70 posts, read 363,371 times
I find it hard to believe that there is much gang activity going on at either Hollywood 18 or Gulfview Square Mall. I avoid both places (not because I feel unsafe, I just find them scuzzy) but every movie theatre/mall in the area is littered with young "punks" on Friday and Saturday evenings. (I am saying this as a 23 year old no less) Hence, on the rare occassion I venture to a movie theatre, it's on a Sunday afternoon. The only area I really would feel unsafe in W Pasco is the string of seedy motels near the NPR/PR bridge, along HWY 19, and in some areas of Moon Lake. Holiday too, has some questionable areas, but I don't believe the danger is to the degree that some have made it out to be. I've found that in most circumstances, if you don't go out looking for trouble, it doesn't seem to find you!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Well I am going to a midnight show of "The Dark Knight" tonight but you all have me so scared I am going in Hernando County and not Pasco.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
I find it hard to believe that there is much gang activity going on at either Hollywood 18 or Gulfview Square Mall. I avoid both places (not because I feel unsafe, I just find them scuzzy) but every movie theatre/mall in the area is littered with young "punks" on Friday and Saturday evenings. (I am saying this as a 23 year old no less) Hence, on the rare occassion I venture to a movie theatre, it's on a Sunday afternoon. The only area I really would feel unsafe in W Pasco is the string of seedy motels near the NPR/PR bridge, along HWY 19, and in some areas of Moon Lake. Holiday too, has some questionable areas, but I don't believe the danger is to the degree that some have made it out to be. I've found that in most circumstances, if you don't go out looking for trouble, it doesn't seem to find you!
With you on all that. Moon Lake- the only reason you'd go in there is to buy meth or crack. Holiday Lakes Estates is bad, agreed with the NPR/PR bridge area (prostitution), and another bad area is US 19 and Bonita/Mile Stretch and one block south. More dope and prostitution. The gangs are in Moon Lake and some northern areas of Hudson. Most of them don't bother or have the transportation to leave their little microcosm of a world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay