Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times

Advertisements

Can't provide any helpful information, but just wanted to say I hope you are able to find a good solution.

My wife is a nurse and spent many years working on senior care facilities, and it can be hard to find a good one. She hasn't worked since we moved down here, due to an injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'm sure most of the senior care facilities are ok the problem is Dads limited finances and nursing homes charging $5-$10K a month,does he have no other option than to sell his home and give all the money to the nursing home?

Old 09-11-2016, 02:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
If you don't expect that he'd move back to his home, wouldn't it be wise to sell it and use the proceeds to pay for the next step, nursing home care or assisted living? I'd contact social work or some sort of elderly care services or lawyers who specialize in that (they might direct you to the appropriate services if they can't assist or their fees are too high)....former nurse here, but I've never worked in that area and don't know the process, but social workers in hospital or outpatient settings might point you in the right direction. Things to think about are powers of atty for sale of the house, living wills, advanced medical directives....

Old 09-11-2016, 03:02 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure most of the senior care facilities are ok the problem is Dads limited finances and nursing homes charging $5-$10K a month,does he have no other option than to sell his home and give all the money to the nursing home?
First of all, eligibility for Medicaid is based on assets. You have to have very limited assets. A single individual applying for Medicaid is allowed $2,000 in non-exempt assets. Non-exempt assets include mostly cash and savings. Exempt assets are assets that Medicaid is not allowed to consider when determining
eligibility. Exempt assets include the applicant’s home, automobile, personal property and items owned by the applicant that are for regular everyday use, engagement or wedding rings, life insurance with a cash value of no more than $1,500, term life insurance with no cash value, funeral/burial funds of no more than $1,500 and burial plots.

Medicaid considers the homestead to be an exempt asset unless their equity in that homestead is greater than an amount over $500k or so. Unlikely in your dad's case.

Best bet is set up a consultation with Rebecca Bell at 877-815-4218. I work for her dad, Wayne Coulter. She is very knowledgeable when it comes to elder law.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
First of all, eligibility for Medicaid is based on assets. You have to have very limited assets. A single individual applying for Medicaid is allowed $2,000 in non-exempt assets. Non-exempt assets include mostly cash and savings. Exempt assets are assets that Medicaid is not allowed to consider when determining
eligibility. Exempt assets include the applicant’s home, automobile, personal property and items owned by the applicant that are for regular everyday use, engagement or wedding rings, life insurance with a cash value of no more than $1,500, term life insurance with no cash value, funeral/burial funds of no more than $1,500 and burial plots.

Medicaid considers the homestead to be an exempt asset unless their equity in that homestead is greater than an amount over $500k or so. Unlikely in your dad's case.

Best bet is set up a consultation with Rebecca Bell at 877-815-4218. I work for her dad, Wayne Coulter. She is very knowledgeable when it comes to elder law.
I believe he would have to spend down his assets before he could apply for Medicaid.

Once the money from the sale of the house has been used up to pay the nursing home and other expenses, then he would apply for Medicaid.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:22 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Unless he divests himself of everything, like my Mom did. She literally gave everything away some time before she required full time care, thank goodness, and when it came time for her to go into a full time care facility all she had was Medicaid.

RM

Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
The bill collectors and nursing home almost got my fathers house that was left to me. I got the house just before they could do a thing. Glad i talked my mother into suing them just before she died as the money came in handy.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:48 PM

There is a "look back" on the sale or transfer of a house.

It used to be 5 years, don't know if it still is.

https://www.caring.com/questions/sel...s-for-medicaid

Old 09-11-2016, 05:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I believe he would have to spend down his assets before he could apply for Medicaid.

Once the money from the sale of the house has been used up to pay the nursing home and other expenses, then he would apply for Medicaid.
You cant "spend down your assets".

The house is exempt. It does not need to be sold. Other assets, with a few exemptions, cannot total more than $2,000.00. Otherwise you cant even qualify.

There is also a 5 year (used to be 3) "look back" to see if you dumped assets. If you did that is charged against you and prevents qualification for certain periods of time.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You cant "spend down your assets".

The house is exempt. It does not need to be sold. Other assets, with a few exemptions, cannot total more than $2,000.00. Otherwise you cant even qualify.

There is also a 5 year (used to be 3) "look back" to see if you dumped assets. If you did that is charged against you and prevents qualification for certain periods of time.
Read the article I posted above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay