Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,464 times

Advertisements

Dear all: We are planning to move to Tampa Florida from Chicago. We've NEVER lived there, have no family or friends in Tampa, and we have no clue what good/bad areas are so would appreciate insights from everyone.

Here's our mini-bio: 45 yr old recent London transplant, very accustomed to big city life, cultural events, museums, bars :-) . 47-going on 35 fitness buff, earthy, fun-loving, artsy, clothing designer. 7-year introverted, disney-loving, mildly autistic boy.

Neighborhoods and schools are most important; we live in a 100 year old home close to downtown Chicago. Prefer Tampa area with older, European architecture, the best public school system or affordable private schools. Also want to know which Tampa areas would be considered affluent, affluent-bohemian, professional (doctors, lawyers, etc) middle and/or upper class area would be great.

We welcome all input, especially regarding the school system.!!! In Chicago, children must attend public schools in their immediate neighborhood, so you can imagine we have to pay out the nose to live in the best neighborhoods simply to get the best school resources for our son. In Tampa, perhaps this expense is not necessary, as my nose hurts a bit at this point but as older parents we have to give our son the best shot at academic success to insure he can live independently one day so we'll do what's best for him. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Sincerely,
bj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,394,265 times
In the city of Tampa(which is much much smaller than Chicago, but has many of the amenities you mention, just on a much much smaller scale), you will want to be in South Tampa neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Golfview, New Suburb Beautiful, Parkland Estates, Bayshore Beautiful and Bayshore Gardens, Beach Park and Sunset Park, Ballast Point, Davis Islands.

Public Schools in the 33629, 33606, 33609 are rated some of the best in the state(Plant High). There are also excellent private schools in this area(Academy of the Holy Names).

Here is a neighborhood map for the City of Tampa http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Neighborhood_and_Community_Relations/files/Neighborhood%20Map_3_1_07.pdf (broken link)

I'll let someone else post about the "Bohemian like" city of St. Petersburg, across the Bay from Tampa. I just hope your not expecting something like London or Chicago here in the Sunshine State.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 12-11-2007 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,975,521 times
If you are accustomed to big city life then Tampa might not be for you. Tampa is a small city compared with Chicago.

The only real big city Florida has is Miami and compared to Chicago that is even small.

I suggest you take a trip down here and see for yourself.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,266,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJThomasJr View Post
Dear all: We are planning to move to Tampa Florida from Chicago. We've NEVER lived there, have no family or friends in Tampa, and we have no clue what good/bad areas are so would appreciate insights from everyone.

Here's our mini-bio: 45 yr old recent London transplant, very accustomed to big city life, cultural events, museums, bars :-) . 47-going on 35 fitness buff, earthy, fun-loving, artsy, clothing designer. 7-year introverted, disney-loving, mildly autistic boy.

Neighborhoods and schools are most important; we live in a 100 year old home close to downtown Chicago. Prefer Tampa area with older, European architecture, the best public school system or affordable private schools. Also want to know which Tampa areas would be considered affluent, affluent-bohemian, professional (doctors, lawyers, etc) middle and/or upper class area would be great.

We welcome all input, especially regarding the school system.!!! In Chicago, children must attend public schools in their immediate neighborhood, so you can imagine we have to pay out the nose to live in the best neighborhoods simply to get the best school resources for our son. In Tampa, perhaps this expense is not necessary, as my nose hurts a bit at this point but as older parents we have to give our son the best shot at academic success to insure he can live independently one day so we'll do what's best for him. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Sincerely,
bj
Hello,
I did the move from Chicago to Tampa about 4 months ago, so I'm happy to answer any questions about that move/adjustment, etc. I'm just going to say one thing: Tampa is nothing like Chicago. At all. Now, I'm not saying that that is a bad thing (or a good thing) but before I moved here, I heard a lot about how Tampa was similar to Chicago for this or that reason, but the two cities are not at all similar.
First, regarding the autism, I work with children with special needs. I don't know much about the school system here, but I know that USF has a great program for autistic children. Their website is Center for Autism and Related Disabilities at USF (http://card-usf.fmhi.usf.edu/autism.asp - broken link) I'm sure that someone at that center will be able to give you information on school, etc that can meet your child's needs.
As for suggestions on where to live, I would absolutely live in either Hyde Park, Davis Island, or St. Petersburg. There are probably a few other areas that people will suggest, but you will find many of the other areas to be too stripmall-ish for your liking!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,464 times
Thanks for the great responses! Our move is pretty much a done deal as of February, and not knowing WHAT to expect, we're simply looking forward to exploring a new city, and finding a nice place to live. Since Jessie mentioned living in Chicago as well, I'm wondering what areas of Tampa might be most similar to Chicago's Lincoln Park area near the zoo which is where we currently live? (but with a bit of diversity as well? Thank you again, BJ

Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Hello,
I did the move from Chicago to Tampa about 4 months ago, so I'm happy to answer any questions about that move/adjustment, etc. I'm just going to say one thing: Tampa is nothing like Chicago. At all. Now, I'm not saying that that is a bad thing (or a good thing) but before I moved here, I heard a lot about how Tampa was similar to Chicago for this or that reason, but the two cities are not at all similar.
Wow Jessiegirl, someone actually told you that Tampa was similar to Chicago? I LOVE visiting my buddies in Chicago, what a GREAT city, but there can be no comparison of the 3rd largest city in the country to Tampa...some interesting tidbits though is that Hyde Park was named by a developer from Chicago...my friends from Chi-town say the Bayshore Blvd is like a mini and less congested Lakeshore Drive, and I am always running into people who have moved here from Chicagoland(and mid-west)...

Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJThomasJr View Post
Thanks for the great responses! Our move is pretty much a done deal as of February, and not knowing WHAT to expect, we're simply looking forward to exploring a new city, and finding a nice place to live. Since Jessie mentioned living in Chicago as well, I'm wondering what areas of Tampa might be most similar to Chicago's Lincoln Park area near the zoo which is where we currently live? (but with a bit of diversity as well? Thank you again, BJ

Honestly, you won't find a place like Lincoln Park in Tampa. It's just soooo much smaller! I would still look in the places I mentioned. Those are going to be your best options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Wow Jessiegirl, someone actually told you that Tampa was similar to Chicago? I LOVE visiting my buddies in Chicago, what a GREAT city, but there can be no comparison of the 3rd largest city in the country to Tampa...some interesting tidbits though is that Hyde Park was named by a developer from Chicago...my friends from Chi-town say the Bayshore Blvd is like a mini and less congested Lakeshore Drive, and I am always running into people who have moved here from Chicagoland(and mid-west)...

I moved here for the quality of my PhD internship, rather than moving here thinking it was like Chicago, but I noticed that people often say that Tampa is like a "little Chicago." Obviously, those people have never been to Chicago Again, that's not anything bad, but I think the OP might have a bit of an adjustment. On the other hand it is in the 70's/80's here and just a few degrees now in Chicago!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 AM

892 posts, read 1,582,595 times
If neighborhoods and schools are most important to you, I'm sorry to say that Florida isn't known for the quality of it's public school system. This is a well documented fact unfortunately, and if you do some internet research you should be able to see the statistics that prove it. As a whole, I'm pretty sure that Florida ranks near the bottom of the list of best public school systems. It sounds like your #1 priority in life is to provide your son with all the advantages possible so that he may succeed in life-I commend you for that, you certainly have your priorities in order. With that being said, I don't think you will find the public schools in Florida to be comparable to what you are used to.

As far as the arts go, I am also sorry to say that Tampa will also not compare to Chicago or London for that matter. As a mater of fact, I'm not sure Tampa can compare in any way to those cities. Chicago and London are WORLD CLASS major cities, Tampa is not in that class in any respect. You mentioned "European architecture" and Tampa does still have SOME of that left. The University of Tampa is a beautiful structure as well as a few other buildings here and there-but that's it. In Chicago and London respectively, they cherish history and preserve it. The evidence is all around those cities. In Florida, when something looks old, they knock it down and put up a shiny, new building. Developers are given free reign over anything they choose. Because of that, there are very few significant examples of "European" or historical architecture left.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, however, like I said-the last 2 cities you have lived are major, world class cities and Tampa simply cannot compare to that in SO MANY ways. Good luck in your search.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
If neighborhoods and schools are most important to you, I'm sorry to say that Florida isn't known for the quality of it's public school system. This is a well documented fact unfortunately, and if you do some internet research you should be able to see the statistics that prove it. As a whole, I'm pretty sure that Florida ranks near the bottom of the list of best public school systems. It sounds like your #1 priority in life is to provide your son with all the advantages possible so that he may succeed in life-I commend you for that, you certainly have your priorities in order. With that being said, I don't think you will find the public schools in Florida to be comparable to what you are used to.

As far as the arts go, I am also sorry to say that Tampa will also not compare to Chicago or London for that matter. As a mater of fact, I'm not sure Tampa can compare in any way to those cities. Chicago and London are WORLD CLASS major cities, Tampa is not in that class in any respect. You mentioned "European architecture" and Tampa does still have SOME of that left. The University of Tampa is a beautiful structure as well as a few other buildings here and there-but that's it. In Chicago and London respectively, they cherish history and preserve it. The evidence is all around those cities. In Florida, when something looks old, they knock it down and put up a shiny, new building. Developers are given free reign over anything they choose. Because of that, there are very few significant examples of "European" or historical architecture left.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, however, like I said-the last 2 cities you have lived are major, world class cities and Tampa simply cannot compare to that in SO MANY ways. Good luck in your search.

There are many fine public and private schools in the area, here is a listing of the Top 100 High Schools in the country(many in Florida)...2 of them in Tampa(none incidentally in Illinois or Chicago for that matter) http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?so...=100&year=2007

This is a great site to compare rankings http://www.psk12.com/rating/index.php

Sure Tampa is no Chicago or London when it comes to art, culture and history(are there any places in Florida or this country similar to them?) but if you get out and explore there is a very rich history and culture unique to Florida in the Tampa area. Here are some history tour sites to explore:

http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/hydepark.htm (broken link)
http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/tampa.htm (broken link)
http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/yborcity.htm (broken link)

Check out the Tampa Bay History Center or HB PLant Museum or Ybor City State Museum, there are many books and information for all the historic buildings, markers, etc. still exisiting in the area.

As far as culture and arts, you just have to open the creativeloafing.com site to see all the art gallery tours, theater and arts activities. Tampa has the largest Performing Arts Center in the Southeast( 5 theaters), St. Pete has the Mahaffey Theater, Clearwater has Ruth Eckerd Hall and there are dozens more independant and smaller venues and companies in the area. Museums found in Tampa are Science and Industry, Art, History, Fire, Police, Photography and in St. Pete are International, History, Holocaust, Fine Art, Dali for example.

Here are some good cultural sites:

www.creativetampbay.com (broken link), tampabayhistorycenter.org, tampagov.net

Correct, I really wonder sometimes how anybody could consider at city the size of Tampa(330k) with a history that only dates back to the very late 1800's to even compare with the likes of palces like Chicago and London.

Culture, Arts, Theater, History is all here, you just have to look for it more, and its on a much smaller scale.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 12-12-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM

[quote=tampaguy03;2233329]There are many fine public and private schools in the area, here is a listing of the Top 100 High Schools in the country(many in Florida)...2 of them in Tampa(none incidentally in Illinois or Chicago for that matter) http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?so...=100&year=2007

[quote]

Actually, according to US News and World Report there are 4 in the Chicago area and none in Tampa (as of November 2007).
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educa...l-schools.html And in the link you posted, there is still one in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay