Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 29,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
How big is your house? Pool? Lots of electronics? How old is the AC? How thick is your insulation?

These are all things that affect your bill.
Our house is ~1,500 Sqft., not exactly huge. No pool, a fair amount of electronics. The house was built in 1981, I'm not sure of the age of the AC or the state of the insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM

30,485 posts, read 21,362,243 times
Talk about LALALAND.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Your water seems high. How much gallon it says that you used? How big is your family? We can easily tell with that, if it makes sense. Do you have a sprinkler on drinking water or reclaimed?
The water bill says we used 20,000 gallons in 33 days. So they charged us $105 for that water usage. Then they charged $55 for sewer usage. Another $10 for "Res Stormwater". Another $15 for "Unit charge".
Finally, another $18 for garbage service...so total for water is $185 (excluding garbage).

We have no sprinkler and drink bottled water.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,468,266 times
To me your water usage seems high. That sure is a lot of water!

Your electric bill sounds a little high, but that could be with the 1981 home build. Can you take a look in the attic and see if there is anything glaring (holes, light shinning through, etc...) How is your insulation up there?

Just a few things to check. You could always get more insulation in there if that is a problem. Hopefully you can move around and do it on your own to save some costs.

GOOD LUCK

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,211,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijabit View Post
The water bill says we used 20,000 gallons in 33 days. So they charged us $105 for that water usage. Then they charged $55 for sewer usage. Another $10 for "Res Stormwater". Another $15 for "Unit charge".
Finally, another $18 for garbage service...so total for water is $185 (excluding garbage).

We have no sprinkler and drink bottled water.
Now I can tell you there is almost no way that you use 20,000 gallon without having a leak. Average use is about 6,000 to 8,000 gallons in Bay area. Look for a leak, and if that leak is hot water, then you have high electric bill too.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,926,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijabit View Post
Our house is ~1,500 Sqft., not exactly huge. No pool, a fair amount of electronics. The house was built in 1981, I'm not sure of the age of the AC or the state of the insulation.
With that size house, your bills are way too high.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,507,651 times
Make sure you have ample insulation product in your attic. Might want to do what you can to protect the seals of your doors to keep cold air from leaking out.

My place, built in 2009, is 1500 sq ft, avg h20 bill is $30-50/mo. No pool. No lawn watering. You bill sounds way too high. We have several threads on the topic about leaks - recommend you visit them. Have the electric company come out and do one of those free assessments on your home to check for efficiency and ways to cut down on your use.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Now I can tell you there is almost no way that you use 20,000 gallon without having a leak. Average use is about 6,000 to 8,000 gallons in Bay area. Look for a leak, and if that leak is hot water, then you have high electric bill too.

Good luck!
Thanks I was trying to find an "Average" water usage for this area, that helps. I felt around the entire house for "hot tiles" to indicate a leak but couldn't find any. I'll make sure and read the meter tomorrow morning and try not to use any water for a day to see if it still accumulates. Now I just have to find the water meter....

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Make sure you have ample insulation product in your attic. Might want to do what you can to protect the seals of your doors to keep cold air from leaking out.

My place, built in 2009, is 1500 sq ft, avg h20 bill is $30-50/mo. No pool. No lawn watering. You bill sounds way too high. We have several threads on the topic about leaks - recommend you visit them. Have the electric company come out and do one of those free assessments on your home to check for efficiency and ways to cut down on your use.
Yes, I will try and figure out if there's a leak. Thanks for the tip with the electric company, I'll call them Tuesday and see if they can come out to do an assessment.

We did have an extra guest staying with us for most of the month, so there was 4 people here for that month. Plus we had another "extra" visitor for a week too. Even still, that seems like too large of a bill.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:

Good luck!
Agree - you need to check your water meter outside - if the little triangle is spinning when ALL of your faucets etc. are turned off, you have a leak. We had two pipes leaking under our slab (both hot and cold), but even with those our bills weren't as high as yours. I think you have a huge leak somewhere. They do tend to happen more often in hot water lines. You might need a company like "Sleuth" who come out and detect where your leak is (if you are on a slab). It could be in a wall, too.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay