Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM

12 posts, read 22,595 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be looking in the Dunedin and Largo areas to possibly buy a condo.

We have seen 55 plus but concerned about the rules having our grandchildren visit.

Does anyone know any condos in Dunedin, Largo and/or Clearwater that is not age restricted.

We have seen some nice age restricted condos but nervous about how strict they enforce the rules.

Also, I see Dunedin has land lease fees does anyone know if you can write them off on income tax?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:41 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,163,408 times
I would urge you to avoid 55+ condos at all costs. Besides the oppressive rules which usually involve the practice of monastery-like noise levels, resale should you decide it's not for you can be an ordeal because buyers are typically avoiding 55+ communities like the plague. Most even don't accept pets, including indoor cats which makes no sense on a property you own. I looked all over Central and Northern Pinellas when I was similarly searching condos and will tell you for the product offered, price (60-80K for two bedrooms) and location you cannot beat the condos in East Lake Woodlands. It's a nice area and actually very walkable in the sense you can easily get to and from the grocery store/drugstore/restaurants and other services without having to use you car.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Thank you for your response. Where are East Lake Woodlands located?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,911,053 times
East Lake Woodlands is next to Oldsmar and Palm Harbor. It is a very nice area , with housing for all budgets.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,087,071 times
This is a nice location ELW - but dont be put off all over 55s, I have a nice community close to me that is even houses, not apartment type condos. They allow children to visit, but they can't live there all the time, or they would not constitute an over 55 community. Some can be restrictive though I agree with previous poster.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM

35,786 posts, read 21,170,132 times
there are some condos called Seville --off 19 n gulf,,, each tower has their own rules and maybe you can get one that will not black list you for bringing grands- me never again I love my babies

Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,745,493 times
I winter in a 55+ development, and I don't feel the rules are too oppressive. At the moment we don't allow pets, and I would like that to be changed. Some of the other older-fashioned rules are currently being revised to more current standards, including allowing certain pets.

Believe me, we are not monastic. And as for noise levels, anywhere where people live in close proximity, you have to be careful about noise.

There is no problem having grandchildren visit, AT ALL.

Our community is a group of buildings that are 3 storeys, and are spread out with landscaping and trees. Plus a nice pool and hot tub.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your input.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,258,026 times
The one example I remember was a couple who had to take custody of their little grand daughter who was only around 4 years old. They were told they had to get rid of her or move. At that time the housing market was in the toliet so they lost their shirts having to move and not being able to sell their house.

Another one was a lady who had artifical grass put in due to the drought and the HoA told her she had to replace her grass. She did only artifical that looked like real grass from the street. Needless to say.. they made her take it up.

From all the stories I have heard all too often HOA boards tend to go overboard on the decisions they make.

I think you have to know the good, the bad and the ugly when considering condo or 55+ communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay