Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times

Advertisements

The Hernando County property appraiser was the guest speaker at my HOA annual meeting. One thing he discussed was sinkholes. A permit is required if a property is going to be checked for sinkholes. This prevents someone from getting their place checked, finding out it has one, and putting it up for sale without disclosing it. They will be unable to hide it since a permit was pulled.

Granted, this is a fairly recent change. But it's a step in the right direction.

You can check the county GIS maps. If a house has an unrepaired sinkhole, there is a red symbol superimposed over it. If it has a repaired sinkhole, it's a green symbol. If there's no symbol, it wasn't checked. The symbol looks like a plastic house from the Monopoly board game.

http://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/PublicMapGallery/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The Hernando County property appraiser was the guest speaker at my HOA annual meeting. One thing he discussed was sinkholes. A permit is required if a property is going to be checked for sinkholes. This prevents someone from getting their place checked, finding out it has one, and putting it up for sale without disclosing it. They will be unable to hide it since a permit was pulled.

Granted, this is a fairly recent change. But it's a step in the right direction.

You can check the county GIS maps. If a house has an unrepaired sinkhole, there is a red symbol superimposed over it. If it has a repaired sinkhole, it's a green symbol. If there's no symbol, it wasn't checked. The symbol looks like a plastic house from the Monopoly board game.

http://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/PublicMapGallery/
Thanks for sharing this!

Did appraiser mentioned any "special codes" they used so only realtors could figure out if anything related to sinkhole has anything to do with the property?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Thanks for sharing this!

Did appraiser mentioned any "special codes" they used so only realtors could figure out if anything related to sinkhole has anything to do with the property?
It's pretty cut and dry. Click the link, then go to page 2. Click on Sinkholes and the map will come up with the sinkhole information provided.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Didn't know that about Country Walk. You can also access the public records and it will tell you some history nd if a claim was filed for sinkhole and asco County has a special code for sinkhole homes but i'm not disclosing that because that is our advantage and why it is good for people to hire a realtor who has the knowledge.
I guess only Pasco county has special codes known only to realtors

Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
If your determained to buy in Spring Hill why go for a repaired sinkhole home. There are tons of cheap houses in Spring Hill. If for some reason you deciede you dont like it there and want to move you might have a harder time unloading it. Just the word sinkhole is enough to scare anybody who hasent lived there and doesent realize what there all about. There are plenty of nice places in Spring Hill for sale without the word Sinkhole attached to them.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
If your determained to buy in Spring Hill why go for a repaired sinkhole home. There are tons of cheap houses in Spring Hill. If for some reason you deciede you dont like it there and want to move you might have a harder time unloading it. Just the word sinkhole is enough to scare anybody who hasent lived there and doesent realize what there all about. There are plenty of nice places in Spring Hill for sale without the word Sinkhole attached to them.
I agree with you depending on the needs of the buyer. Some investors buy a sinkhole house cheap and rent it out and make a nice income on it.

We know even of sinkhole lawyers who buy them for their own investment but buy them in a LLC or trust so unless you know who owns that LLC or trust you won't know that.

With all other homes you never know if they ever will get a sinkhole...that might be 50% chance either way or maybe higher or lower but it will never be zero percent, unless it is build in a different way which builders are not doing because not many people will spend more money for a similar home if it was build better, some may but the majority will go for cheaper.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM

I looked around the GIS maps of my neighborhood. EVERY home with a sinkhole is newer than mine. My house was built in 1985, and was the personal home of the builder of the first group of homes in the neighborhood. Maybe that will bode well for me.

The homes built since 2001 seem to have more sinkhole activity, at least in my immediate area.

But then again, you have to take into account the "scam factor" for all of this.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM

36 posts, read 85,455 times
Seems once you get south of Sarasota the number of sink holes drops to almost zero. Must be something about all the small lakes up in the northern part of the State. The one thing that sticks out in this thread is the 20K deductable for insurance. Seems to me if the insurance companies were not worried about sink holes or claims, their deductables would be MUCH less.

Just the 20k deductable is enough of a red flag for concern.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
There are NO codes for Realtors regarding sinkholes. Where did you come up with this? Anything regarding sinkholes is listed on the MLS. There are time when it is listed in the Realtor Remarks section vice the actual listing or on the sellers disclosure. It it is there, it MUST be told to someone wanting to buy the home. I send that information in BIG BOLD LETTERS immediately.

Agents get fined and lose thier license over not disclosing this.

There are some shady people out there I am sure. But this one can have huge legal ramifications.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
It is not a special code for Realtors only but for people with knowledge and that is what I stated prior and many agents will be aware of where to find them aside from going through the public records but we keep it to ourselves since it seems we have an advantage on others by having this knowledge in our office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay