Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Clearwater to Kissemme 2 hrs- city feel,,, haha-not in Tampa but it has the traffic- looks like Lakeland might be your town. I say get the JOB 1st- then move, the drive beween the 2 is not that long but grueling..
I can imagine the cost of gasoline every week would be pretty bad unless you drive a hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
What you said is that there were no non-chain restaurants in FLORIDA. Re-read your post.

I used Lakeland as an example. I dared you to find me ANY town in Florida that has nothing but chain restaurants and I can assure you there are many near Lake Buena Vista so that one is void.
Please provide the source of your 99 to 1 percent statistics.

As far as chain restaurants go, I was in Tokyo Japan and my eyes lit up when I saw the golden arches.
I was tired of looking at the plastic food in the store windows that I could not recognize and what I did recognize I wouldnt have eaten anyway.

Chain restaurants do well everywhere because of the fact that the diner knows well in advance what they can expect from the establishment right down to the menu choices. They didnt become chain restaurants because nobody goes to them. Frankly, I prefer independently owned and operated
establishments when ever possible and anywhere Ive been Ive had that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Now I searched: Lakeland NON Chain:
https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...w=1555&bih=878

Olive Garden, Grillsmith, and Ihop are chains.

I didn't say there are no restaurants in Lakeland, I said that the ratio between chain restaurants versus good quality non chains throughout Florida is very small 99% to 1%.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Yeah, but my point Jambo was that you could do it to ANYWHERE USA. The original quote was that there werent any non chain restaurants in Florida and that is so far from accurate it cant be determined how far off it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Click on the red dots on the interactive Lakeland map in that link and if you're looking for non chain restaurants you'll find many..

Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah, but my point Jambo was that you could do it to ANYWHERE USA. The original quote was that there werent any non chain restaurants in Florida and that is so far from accurate it cant be determined how far off it is.

Guess i missed something along the way as theres plenty of chain and non chain restaurants between Tampa and Orlando..

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Jambo - I refer to message #3 in this thread.

the original poster asked for a place with "local flavor food without chain restaurants"

The answer they got was:

"No such thing left in FL...sorry to say. You might find a small Main Street in Sarasota, Dunedin, but not really like you're envisioning."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Guess i missed something along the way as theres plenty of chain and non chain restaurants between Tampa and Orlando..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM

27 posts, read 86,738 times
we do have a hybrid so gas is kinda non issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I can imagine the cost of gasoline every week would be pretty bad unless you drive a hybrid.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM

27 posts, read 86,738 times
Yes, we are "looking" to not discover chain restaurants , except panera where I get my coffee basically every day up here...but I'd rather starve than be found in a red robin, olive garden, etc
We dont eat out that often but am just thinking about these kinds of things we want from a town we may move to

Actually, is whole foods popular down there, or something similar? and farmers markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
You really think that people who make repeat visits to Disney are "looking to discover new things"?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
You really think that people who make repeat visits to Disney are "looking to discover new things"?
Hey, it's huge. We've been to WDW more than 20 times, and we discover new things every time.

About the drive times: We drive past the Tampa International Airport exit, and from there to WDW, we've made it in as little as 1:15 and never as much as 1:30. We avoid rush hours through Tampa, and never drive fast enough to get a ticket.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey, it's huge. We've been to WDW more than 20 times, and we discover new things every time.

About the drive times: We drive past the Tampa International Airport exit, and from there to WDW, we've made it in as little as 1:15 and never as much as 1:30. We avoid rush hours through Tampa, and never drive fast enough to get a ticket.
That might be the case, but it doesnt take much to go wrong and turn that 1:15 commute into a 2-3 hour fiasco

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I find it amusing that certain people can spend thousands on annual passes to an amusement park that isn't in their town or county and then complain about taxes, cost of living, wages, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay