Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM

451 posts, read 935,213 times

Advertisements

If you live in South Tampa, you know precisely what I'm about to talk about. The streets in this part of the city were designed in the early 1900s before the advent of the automobile. They're narrow, they flood easily, they can be bumpy and troublesome for today's motor-heavy public. They're so narrow that in some cases, only one car at a time can fit in a street so other cars need to stop, wait patiently for the opposite car to pass, and then they can proceed.

Many South Tampa residents are used to this. When you arrive at a point where only one car can pass, you stop and wait if you're the second car to arrive. It's simple. Make room for the other car to pass and then you can go about your day afterward.

Here's the thing, though. Some locals don't get it. The other car, who stops to allow you to pass, is doing you a neighborly favor. They're extending a courtesy to you. When they stop to allow you to pass by, extend a "thank you" in return with a simple wave. It's like an exchange of currency here in South Tampa. You come to a thin point in a road, someone lets you by, you wave to thank them.

That's the first part of this new rule-- thank the person who was kind enough to wait to allow you to pass by.

The second part of the rule-- when you approach a thin point in a road and there's a car coming from the opposite direction, pull to the side and let them pass first. The goal should be to out-courtesy the other driver. He (or she of course!) who bows to his (or her!) neighbor first wins. It's a nice thing to do, it keeps traffic in South Tampa moving and it creates a neighborly exchange. Think of it as an investment in the social capital of your neighborhood. Seriously.

Social capital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're not capable of sharing the road, you might want to consider going back to pre-school. If you're a sharer, I love you, dear neighbor!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM

oh, and Call me cRazy but i hAve a ZanY feeliNg that I will Probably incite a few negative opinions here, even though it wasn't my intention.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,392,069 times
Actually I find in my dealings w/ south Tampa that more often than not, the other driver does pull over and yield first, especially in Hyde Park. Try getting that kind of courtesy up north. Won't happen.

Usually the only folks who don't do this are the uber rich bimbo soccer moms in their towering mega SUVs. Just my experience.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 AM

315 posts, read 653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Try getting that kind of courtesy up north. Won't happen.

Yea we all know up north sucks, so what.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,687,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Actually I find in my dealings w/ south Tampa that more often than not, the other driver does pull over and yield first, especially in Hyde Park. Try getting that kind of courtesy up north. Won't happen.

Usually the only folks who don't do this are the uber rich bimbo soccer moms in their towering mega SUVs. Just my experience.
Your post made me laugh. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,632,856 times
As much as I complain about drivers in the bay area, south Tampa probably has some of the most courteous. Old Northeast is another area with mostly polite drivers.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,317,623 times
Isn't there like a whole chapter in the driving manual on "driving courtesy"?

Driving around Florida anywhere gives you a clear idea as to how many ppl READ that chapter!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,317,623 times
Ohh and BTW don't lump all the "up-north" in DC because in PA those ppl were soooooo "curteous" that they made me sit at the same stop sign/light 4 times!!!!!!

There is a time and a place for road courtesy!!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,970,991 times
i'm looking at some properties in hyde park. is it guaranteed if you live in that general area that you will be woken up every night around 1 or 2am with the sounds of the train and the horn blowing at every stop? can someone please explain the reality of this. I find it hard to believe that this would be an issue in the most affluent part of tampa. anyone?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i'm looking at some properties in hyde park. is it guaranteed if you live in that general area that you will be woken up every night around 1 or 2am with the sounds of the train and the horn blowing at every stop? can someone please explain the reality of this. I find it hard to believe that this would be an issue in the most affluent part of tampa. anyone?
I live in Hyde Park and this hasn't happened to me once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: