Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions from this group on locating and vetting a buyer agent? (North Tampa, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor)

In these times..what is considered a normal time frame for returning a call?...with smartphones & iPads ...what is normal to return an email?
I'm a BIG techno-junky...and have both..a smartphone & iPad...my typical response time to an email or phone call is less than 2 hours.

If you emailed or call an agent...and ask them to look for a lot for you...and their reply was there's not many available, and you pull up over 40 on Trulia...is that normal..or possible that they want to sell you an existing home that's in inventory?....would you then try to find a agent that specializes in lot/land sales (not sure if there are such agents).

Not wanting to offend or upset anyone..matter of fact..just the contrary..I want to get my expectations in line with reality...I might just be the odd-all here and am being anal

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Depends on where you want to buy some parts of Tampa are a sellers market, and there isn't much inventory. I found trulia to be the worst at updating, I would get a listingbook account from the realtor you are working with. I personally expect a response in within the hour, if just a text "i would get back to you, or ill look it up when i get a chance" . I personally take a more proactive approach and do the research myself, and even call the listing agent instead of waiting around for my agent.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Army Chief, I'm a Retired Navy Master Chief. If you have an Agent that doesn't meet your needs, GET ANOTHER ONE! Do it immediately and don't wait around.

That said, Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com, Yahoo Real Estate are all commercially owned websites that do not fall under the same rules that the Broker owned Multiple Listing Service does. The MLS is legally required to update the listing within 48 hours. The others are not.

Here is an example I explained to a client this morning. He is looking at a Short Sale property found on Zillow. This property had a submitted contract to the bank on March 7, 2012. The home was finally sold June 29, 2012. It is still on zillow as for sale!!!!! So much time is spent on these properties by people searching for homes when in fact they are not available. I am going through a list of 50 for him right now, and out of the first 20, 4, yes 4, are still available for sale. Well actually 6, but one has a sinkhole and the other has all the appliances, counter tops, and kitchen cabinets removed.

That is probably the best example that I can give you.

As far as normal turn around time, it depends. I am sending e-mails out at 2100, 2200, and 2300. But if I am at the ball game, I can't get to it. But I send an e-mail back as soon as I can that let's them know I will get to it and have the answer at XX time.

Look for someone that will work around the clock for you and don't settle until you can get it. Another note: If you find a property on Trulia, look on the agents website and find the same property. If it is not there, it is SOLD. Short Sales still remain on the website as ACTIVE WITH CONTRACT until they are closed. Get that MLS ID# from the website, then it is a quick action by the Realtor or Real Estate Agent to get you your information. If you give them an address, it takes a little longer to go through to narrow it down.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH!!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times
Gilder...current 27 year CW3 in the FLARNG. I'm hoping to find the right person...just hard figuring out where to find one and then vet them

Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Any suggestions from this group on locating and vetting a buyer agent? (North Tampa, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor)
Word of mouth or a referral from a trusted source is the best way in my opinion. If that's not available, you will need a list of questions to ask the agents and plan on interviewing at least three before you choose the one with the best chemistry for your needs.

Quote:
In these times..what is considered a normal time frame for returning a call?...with smartphones & iPads ...what is normal to return an email?
I'm a BIG techno-junky...and have both..a smartphone & iPad...my typical response time to an email or phone call is less than 2 hours.
I had 25 years of IT work behind me when I got into real estate full time. It still to this day amazes me at the technology illiterate. Sadly, a phone call is still the best and easiest way to reach an agent. There are some statistics but they apply to every industry. Just keep in mind that agents are independent contractors and therefore make their own schedule(s). If I'm in a meeting or with a client, I will hardly ever answer my phone out of respect for the customer. I can't tell you how many buyers I've worked with lately that can't look at little else other than their mobile device. It's disrespectful and distracting from the business at hand IMO.

Quote:
If you emailed or call an agent...and ask them to look for a lot for you...and their reply was there's not many available, and you pull up over 40 on Trulia...is that normal..or possible that they want to sell you an existing home that's in inventory?....
Maybe. Trulia is a profitable marketing company and the listing information you see may or may not be acccurate. Trulia (and Zillow but they're better) sells ad-space and (your) buyer/seller information to Realtors for a fee. Additionally, there are agents that will not work gratis for months/weeks/days for a buyer looking to purchase a <$50K lot either. Harsh, but true.

Quote:
would you then try to find a agent that specializes in lot/land sales (not sure if there are such agents).
Bingo! There are agents that have taken the necessary training and have the skills to sell raw land. I'd find one if I was looking for a lot/land. Not sure what you're looking for, but an experienced agent will be able to read metes and bounds, know current and future land use, and be able to discuss things with you such as impact fees and the cost to run utilities where necessary.

One of my early training classes covered a buyer who purchased a lot and after closing, discovered that he'd bought the lot beside the one he thought he was getting that had a real estate sign posted on it. As you can imagine the outcome, it was not a pretty picture.

You can research the Accredited Land Consultant here --> http://www.rliland.com/. I think there might be another one, but I'm drawing a blank.

Quote:
Not wanting to offend or upset anyone..matter of fact..just the contrary..I want to get my expectations in line with reality...I might just be the odd-all here and am being anal

If you're buying retail, you can look on the public facing MLS site at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS.

Or as DUNNDFRNT suggested, you can open a Listingbook account. Listingbook is free and updates from this same MLS every 15 minutes making it a personal experience that you control.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-12-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Gilder...current 27 year CW3 in the FLARNG. I'm hoping to find the right person...just hard figuring out where to find one and then vet them
Recomendation! Nothing beats that. Brokers and real estate agents live by their "name," good or bad. Ask family members, friends, co-workers, or a complete strangers like us . Then do your "vetting". First, take time and understand it for yourself too. When you understand how things work, your life will be easy and get the best out of it. If you know nothing, how can you even vet?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM

146 posts, read 306,394 times
I had an agent , but also watched Zillow and Redfin for new listings in that same geograhical area. I found the one I ended up buying before my realtor did and then he assisted w/the sale. It took Zillow and Trulia, Redfin another week to post it as SOLD. I did not even consider a foreclosure property as that may have taken a year or more to close especially in Fl.

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-14-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 170,837 times
I went through about 6 buyers agents who wasted my time. I FINALLY found the perfect one. OMG I'll be closing in a few weeks
(This in the Saint Petersburg NE area)

I found that most people I dealt with just sent me the link of what was available, didn't answer my emails, (although talked the talked when I originally spoke with them) ....but I had some decent resources of my own.

Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS is up to date I have found, and listingbook.com

My agent took the time w/ me, helped me narrow my researches, and negotiated a decent sale.....I cannot be happier. He knew the market which was imperative.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I can tell you we have some really good RE agents who post great info here just to help our members. I have had numerous compliments about our great RE agents here but they can not be posted due to the ToS.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I know and only want to deal with agents who call within 30-45 min or at least sent a txt if they are in a meeting to let you know when they will return your call.

In our office all leads are only given to an agent if they return the call within 20 min or it will go to the next agent...

Time is money and service and replies are very important.
Quote:

If you emailed or call an agent...and ask them to look for a lot for you...and their reply was there's not many available, and you pull up over 40 on Trulia...is that normal..or possible that they want to sell you an existing home that's in inventory?....would you then try to find a agent that specializes in lot/land sales (not sure if there are such agents).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay