Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 9,546 times

Advertisements

Just a short tidbit about me and my family is we're currently living in North Jersey for more than 20 years, I'm retired, and my my wife is currently an officer manager and certified medical biller and coder for one of the top cardiovascular surgeons in the world. She has over 10 years of experience in office managment and billing and coding.

We have three kids who would be moving with us, who are 23 (college graduate), 20 (finishing up a 2 year degree for Law Enforcement) and an 18 year old just starting college. So pre college/university schooling is not really needed.

We are set on Florida, and around a 250k max budget, and below is what we're looking for.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
The only one working career wise would be my wife working a 9-5 office management / billing and coding job.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
$250,000, we'd like to buy a home, and it needs to have at least 4 bedrooms, and 2+ car garage. I won't bore you with the details about a preferable pool, 3+ bath etc.

Are schools a concern?
Reasonable commute to university and colleges are a must.

What is an acceptable commute time?
Preferably within 15-25 minutes of our home to jobs and university / college , and preferably within a few miles from local shopping / restaurants etc (we're from the city, we're not use to commuting at all and it's less than desirable :P)

What else is important to you?
Must be close to a major hospital. It has to be a friendly and nice neighborhood,and safe. We can't stress the importance of a nice part of the city you could go on a walk in and feel right at home. Low crime surrounding areas. Reasonable 15-25 min commute to work, and minimal distance to shopping, etc. Being relatively close to other cities, or beaches would be nice but is not a must, we just don't want to drive 15 minutes to get to a Best Buy or Wal Mart

So in short we have NO idea, where to look, and know very little about Tampa, we just know the homes in Tampa and surrounding areas are gorgeous and we could live a much nicer retirement down there than up here, and our short times we've spent vacationing in Florida is a place we desire to retire in. But our children coming would have to be a place they could start families in. We'd even be open to other city ideas, (Sarasota? etc)

Let us know if you have any other questions to help us!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 32,057 times
I've lived in Florida for a year and a few months (moved from Brooklyn, NY). I actually posted a thread looking for something similar to you (an area that's easily walkable, where I wouldn't have to drive every where), but it just doesn't seem possible in Florida.

In Florida, for the most part, residential and business/shopping areas are kept far apart, even in the cities. I've checked out Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando, and a few other areas. Nothing really compares to what I'm used to (NYC).

However, the lifestyle here isn't all bad. I'm trying to get used to it because my wife really loves it here (it's where she grew up). You get used to driving everywhere and when you think about it, a 10 mile drive here takes about the same amount of time as a 1 mile drive through a big city+parking. Although, you will want a fuel efficient car.

I'm not trying to make you not want to move here, I just thought you'd like to know my experience as someone that's used to a big city. Hopefully someone here with more Florida experience can help you find your ideal place! Good luck!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,661,596 times
We moved from Fair Lawn to Tampa almost 7 years ago. It's been a mixed bag for us, but I won't bore you on the details and it wasn't what you asked for.

We live in Tampa Palms (New Tampa area). I work at USF Health (medical records department). Within a mile there are many hospitals and doctors offices. Tampa VA, Florida Hospital (use to be called University Community Hospital), Pepin Heart Hospital (associated with Florida Hospital and is located in the same property), Moffitt (cancer hospital), Shriner's, and where I work. Though it isn't a hospital, but it is a large medical facility with multiple health care buildings on USF property and throughout Tampa (like Tampa General). Another large medical facility is Florida Medical Clinic. They have offices all over Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

Your quote of "we just don't want to drive 15 minutes to get to a Best Buy or Wal Mart", well what can I say. Tampa, everything is a drive. It isn't like Fair Lawn where everything is close by. You have to drive to get to the places you want. There happens to be a Best Buy ten minutes away and a Wal-Mart 15 minutes away and that is considered close. I am 5 minutes to my grocery store (Publix).

I love Anna Maria Island. It takes us a little over an hour to get there. I prefer that than the crowded Clearwater beach.

Getting back to Tampa Palms. We have a community pool and clubhouse (though it is a pitiful one), YMCA within walking distance (or at least by my house). You said you want to spend about $250k. Did you factor in the CDD/HOA fees? Some communities it is $2,000 a year or more. We happen to only pay $200 a year. I think you could find a house for 250, but it might be hard since you want 4 bedroom. My neighbor has had his home for sale forever. He just lowered it to 270k, but if you offered 250, he just might take it. It is a 4 bedroom with a pool. He originally was asking 320k (2 years ago). I think the only reason it hasn't sold is that it was overpriced for the market. It is a very nice house in a nice area. Look at some real estate websites like tampa4u and get a good idea how much homes are and what you can get for your money.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM

146 posts, read 306,744 times
Over on the Pinellas County side you will run into loads of NY-NJ retirees. Actually some of my good friends.The " Countryside" area of Clearwater is very close to shopping. A mall w/movies, Kohls, Panera Bread, Steak and Shake but not really walking access. Maybe 1/2 mile or so. Still in 90 degree plus weather it is too hot to walk hardly anywhere in the summer except the pool..ha.. I have lived in the south Tampa area too and that's an even longer commute. A car is a must. Mass transit is no too reliable. No subways. I have family living in Seattle where people actually walk downtown and ride ferry boats all over the place. Not one singe ferry around these parts, just massive bridges. Unless your are a retiree I doubt you would like it here. Must add that yes, Anna Maria Island is my little secret peice of paradise--guess people are finding out about it. About 1 hour south with turquoise water and soft sands.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,546 times
I didn't really mean walking access, as much of the idea as I meant being able to WALK around and feel safe in a friendly neighborhood. Obviously though if stuff is a bit far it'd okay, 10 minute drives to stores aren't bad. I just don't wanna have to google map something because I'm new to the area and see 8 MILES, 24 MINUTES ESTIMATED!

What about other areas? Maybe Sarasota? My kids are about adults now, so they'd be settling in this area.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, appreciate them

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM

156 posts, read 486,980 times
I relocated to Florida in 1993 from northern NJ (2 miles from NYC) and it was quite the culture shock. Unfortunately, Florida is a place where you DO need to drive most places as others already stated. I know when I first moved here I thought everything was SO FAR - and there is no real public transportation to speak of. But you get used to it and after a while far doesn't really seem so far at all, if you know what I mean.

After living a few places, none which I particularly liked, I settled in Tampa in 1996 and currently live in Temple Terrace. I really like my area and have no complaints...I live in a very quiet section near the golf course. Taking a walk there is something you can easily do without worry. (I do that and cycle through my neighborhood all the time) There is a mixture of homes in the area - some newer, some older. Very nice recreation center in town and a country club that has a pool and pretty good food

You might want to also search there - it is cheaper to live there than in New Tampa so you might get more house for your money. You also have several of the same benefits - you are close to the same medical facilities that annaegel mentioned (Florida Hospital, Pepin, Moffit etc), very close to USF, and close to shopping, restaurants, etc. You also avoid the traffic in New Tampa which is usually pretty brutal. That area has had explosive growth in the last few years and the roads are always being worked on, or something else is going on and it can take you forever to get just a few miles. They did complete an overpass project in the last couple of years that helps, but there is still such a heavy volume of people going back and forth that commuting can be a hassle.That area has quite a bit of shopping in it too, a large movie theater, etc and it is only one exit north of Temple Terrace on I-75, which is a major artery and you can easily access from here.

Hope that helps a bit...good luck in your search!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM

623 posts, read 1,305,050 times
Northern NJ is 2 miles from NYc???

Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM

156 posts, read 486,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Northern NJ is 2 miles from NYc???
The part of NJ that I am from (Weehawken) is about that distance, yes. It is right across the Hudson River. Weehawken connects to NYC via the Lincoln Tunnel by car, or the NY Waterways ferry if you want to take the "scenic" route. Parts of Hoboken, the neighboring town, is I believe only about a mile in actual distance...it's about 10-15 ride on the PATH train into the city.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 14,623 times
I moved to St. Pete from Long Island 3 years ago and love it here. I live in the Old Northeast of St. Pete and that seems to have everything you're looking for. We're close to a couple of good hospitals, the university and I can walk downtown to a beautiful waterfront with beaches, museums and great restaurants. I can refer a realtor (not me) if you're in the area and want to be shown around. Here's the Google map showing the Old Northeast: 33704 - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay