Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 AM

8 posts, read 14,744 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Memphis,Tn. Born and raised here, 30 yrs old. I am looking to relocate to the Tampa or Melbourne Florida area. My fiance will join me. He lived in Palm Bay, FL (near Melbourne) for years.Schools aren't a big concern for me now because I don't have kids & his won't be joining us, except when they're out of school.I have been hunting like crazy for jobs down there. He really wont have a problem with finding a job because he's getting back into his families construction business. Right now I'm working in the Customs Brokerage field, in Memphis. We are aiming to move around November 2012, sooner if something comes up for me. At this point any secure job, with benefits will do, and I will just go from there.We also plan to rent for the first year. I want to play it safe and keep our rent between $650-$750.00 USD. Also, to keep my commute to no more than 30min each way to work. I have traveled to both cities several times and I like the "big city" feel of Tampa, but I Love the beaches in & around Melbourne, and it's the closest to his family. Decisions, Decisions...Any advice on neighborhoods, jobs, apartments, etc...is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber901 View Post
I have traveled to both cities several times and I like the "big city" feel of Tampa, but I Love the beaches in & around Melbourne, and it's the closest to his family. Decisions, Decisions...Any advice on neighborhoods, jobs, apartments, etc...is appreciated!
Big city feel of Tampa? you must have visited during office hours as the downtown area kinda shuts down and turns into a ghost town after about 6pm,the rest of the area is just strip malls also closed after 5pm and vast tracts of suburban sprawl,
And no beaches.
From your description i think Melborne might be your better option.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 AM

I would always be in Tampa during the earlier part of the day or afternoon. we would drive up from melbourne. havent been out there at night. it still looks like a big city to me. i dont know what all there is to do.The beaches are in St.Pete right? thats not that far away is it?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Yes the beaches are a 30-40 minute drive over to the western part of St Pete and start at Clearwater and go south from there. There are a few small beaches north of Clearwater (Honeymoon and Caledesi islands)but if you want miles of beach they wont suffice.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM

29 posts, read 100,292 times
Are there good job opportunies for you in both areas? I moved here over 40 yrs ago from PA at 18 with no job and had no trouble finding a career in south. But good Jobs are hard to find now. My sisters followed in 1989, 2003, they had no problem finding jobs. I moved to St Pete, due to my roommates family being there. I ended up in Tampa area mostly, Tampa has got to big, most people live on outskirts. I moved to Lakeland in 2005, hope to move back to outskirts Brandon , Riverview area.
Lakeland is nothing to do much, and 35 mins drive to Brandon area where I like to shop..
New Tampa is nice growing area , I love Brandon area, It all depends where you get a job.
I love the Gulf side of Florida beaches. Clearwater, St Pete, Bradenton, check them out.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Tampa definitely feels like "big city" compared to Melbourne. Plus the Tampa Bay area is large and would have more job opportunities for you. If you live on the West side of town, you will be a bit closer to the beaches of St. Pete which are gorgeous. We can advise better on neighborhoods once you have a job secured.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM

175 posts, read 353,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber901 View Post
Currently I live in Memphis,Tn. Born and raised here, 30 yrs old. I am looking to relocate to the Tampa or Melbourne Florida area. My fiance will join me. He lived in Palm Bay, FL (near Melbourne) for years.Schools aren't a big concern for me now because I don't have kids & his won't be joining us, except when they're out of school.I have been hunting like crazy for jobs down there. He really wont have a problem with finding a job because he's getting back into his families construction business. Right now I'm working in the Customs Brokerage field, in Memphis. We are aiming to move around November 2012, sooner if something comes up for me. At this point any secure job, with benefits will do, and I will just go from there.We also plan to rent for the first year. I want to play it safe and keep our rent between $650-$750.00 USD. Also, to keep my commute to no more than 30min each way to work. I have traveled to both cities several times and I like the "big city" feel of Tampa, but I Love the beaches in & around Melbourne, and it's the closest to his family. Decisions, Decisions...Any advice on neighborhoods, jobs, apartments, etc...is appreciated!
I hope the move works out for you. As you mentioned, much of your happiness in FL will rely on having a secure job able to support a relaxing and relatively carefree lifestyle.

I travel to Melbourne 2-3 times per year to see family and friends. Most of them are chronically unemployed or underemployed. I'm not saying it's impossible to find a good job there, it's just difficult, epecially with the shutdown of NASA and collapse of the construction industry. GE is a large employer in the area though.

I don't know. You and your husband both have jobs in Memphis; I would make a serious and honest Pros/cons list. You also have a major airport and would have little trouble vacationing in FL multiple times a year.

I grew up in Tampa (17 years) and left 10 years ago to move to New York. There isn't a day that passes that I don't think about returning home. But I see the stress of low wages, ever increasing taxes and cost of living, and general uncertainity of any type of long term career success as motivation to stay away. I mean, I love the beach and I love Florida to death, but if your salary will not afford you a better lifestyle than you currently have, then don't make the move. All the best

Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,937 times
We moved to Tampa in 2007 with good jobs. We left Tampa in 2010 with no jobs. We loved it very much while we were there and wish we were back there every day. We lived in Riverview a couple blocks of 301. 10 mins from Busch Gardens and 45 minutes to great beaches or the tourist attractions of Orlando. If you make the move, I am confident you will love it if you make enough $ to live and have fun!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 AM

Thank you all for your advice. It's greatly appreciated. I'm going to make sure that I land a job before I get there. Hopefully I do, or I will be staying in memphis or looking to move to another Fl city. We shall see. *praying* *fingers crossed*

Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 28,359 times
How are the hotel jobs in the tampa area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay