Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times

Advertisements

As mentioned, it is the rental company that is jacking up the fees. In fact, the toll road administrators are "very intelligent" in a sense that if you say didn't pay and used the lane, say, for few days and passed multiple times, they wait for sometime and bill you in one shot the entire charge and you pay an administrative fee of less than $5, I think $2 or $3, don't remember. Ask the rental company the bill and you will take care of the bill, I doubt they will agree.

Toll fee are rental companies money making scamming tools now a days, unfortunately. Happens to many people, beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmikef View Post
This is great information thanks - I'll have to check this out, I thought you had to have a FLA drivers license or car registration to get a Sunpass

No anyone can buy one...

Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
You can set your cell GPS to avoid tolls, you may have to set it each place you are going. Some parts of Florida is doing toll by plate if you don't have Sunpass. If it's your car it's not so bad, but it it's a rental that's a problem. Another problem is that car rental companies want to make a profit on your misery instead of doing the right thing and just charging for the cost.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Rental car companies make money off of this. I could see a small fee for using the transponder, maybe $5

They also make money off of CDW( collision damage waiver) insurance, and the employees are incentivized to sell it to you. If you own a car many times your policy will cover any damages to a rental car, however you would have a deductable etc. But if you put the charge on a credit card, most credit cards come with additional CDW coverage which would be in addition to your own insurance and cover the deductable... look at your policies and look over credit card benefits. Last time I rented a car on Orbits there was an option for CDW coverage at booking for only $9 total... not per day... most rental cars are ~$17/day which can add up.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 AM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmikef View Post
This is great information thanks - I'll have to check this out, I thought you had to have a FLA drivers license or car registration to get a Sunpass

Nope. Anyone can buy one. I got mine at Publix. It's the suction cup type. I stick it in my rentals when I'm down there.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM

There are 2 kinds in Florida, the plastic square type one or the one that sticks permanently to the windshield, you have to buy the removable one.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM

185 posts, read 170,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
As mentioned, it is the rental company that is jacking up the fees. In fact, the toll road administrators are "very intelligent" in a sense that if you say didn't pay and used the lane, say, for few days and passed multiple times, they wait for sometime and bill you in one shot the entire charge and you pay an administrative fee of less than $5, I think $2 or $3, don't remember. Ask the rental company the bill and you will take care of the bill, I doubt they will agree.

Toll fee are rental companies money making scamming tools now a days, unfortunately. Happens to many people, beware!
Yes, some rental car companies are much worse than others. The Sunpass web site lists the fees charged by company.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

National, Alamo and Enterprise seem the best, you don't pay up front and 'opt in' by actually going through an unmanned toll area. The fee is $3.95 per toll usage day plus the actual toll charge. With a max monthy fee of $19.75 per month.

Dollar and Thrifty seem the worst at $10.49 per rental day. If you don't opt in they hit you with a $15 fee plus toll for each 'infraction' - ouch this could add up fast.

Should consider the fees when making a car rental choice.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Wow I never thought about toll and rental cars. This thread is great to bring awareness in case of traveling and renting a car.
If you go to another State and rent a car than maybe buying something like the Sunpass may be a cheaper option to consider.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
The rental car company scam on charging additional fees for tolls has gotten so out of hand that I believe it was taken up in this year's legislature.

I didn't look at the previous link, but there were a number of reports in the local media of late about vacationers getting bills form the rental car companies for excessive amounts several weeks after they returned home. The majority of the fees were imposed by the companies, and were not the tolls themselves.

Also, SunPass is in the process if they haven't already of integrating with other states, in order to centralize the system for charges and billing. That is, if you use a companion system they work with in another state, you'll be billed through your SunPass account.

RM

Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The rental car company scam on charging additional fees for tolls has gotten so out of hand that I believe it was taken up in this year's legislature.

I didn't look at the previous link, but there were a number of reports in the local media of late about vacationers getting bills form the rental car companies for excessive amounts several weeks after they returned home. The majority of the fees were imposed by the companies, and were not the tolls themselves.

Also, SunPass is in the process if they haven't already of integrating with other states, in order to centralize the system for charges and billing. That is, if you use a companion system they work with in another state, you'll be billed through your SunPass account.

RM
There should only be one system. i have an EZ pass which is used in the northeast so I can fly thru the busy toll booths from VA to NJ on I 95. They actually charge $1 a month even if you don't use it. I also have a Sunpass that is the kind that sticks permanently to the windshield. I don't travel often, but it's not right to have to get a states toll pass transponder whenever you travel and rent a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay