Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 42,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
If you dont have a sunpass and go on the expressway, they just 'bill' you.

When you have a rental, they bill the rental company, who in turn bills you for the toll plus $25 at EACH TOLL, so that's not really an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Most major rental car companies now offer their customers the option of including tolls with the credit card used to rent the vehicle. These rental car customers can use Florida's toll roads and not worry about carrying cash or stopping to pay for tolls. They can breeze through the SunPass ONLY, EPASS ONLY and LeeWay ONLY toll lanes throughout the Sunshine State.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedana View Post
When you have a rental, they bill the rental company, who in turn bills you for the toll plus $25 at EACH TOLL, so that's not really an option.
So why not just buy a sunpass? its 5 dollars plus the cost of tolls... *shrug* Seems like the easiest option to me.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,419 times
I just visited Tampa & happened to find myself on Veterans...then realized I had to find cash & wouldn't be billed...so I barely scraped it up lol...do they not have the bill me option or the sunpass option on that road? I ask this because I'll be living in the area and would think it's quicker to take that road than to hop on dale mabry

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Guess i won't use it anymore, if it's not manned. I only use it 2 or 3 times a year anyways.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 778 times
Question Criminals at work

We recently made a trip from Orlando to st. Petes beach in our rented car.
We opted not to get the sun pass and instead we loaded up on change for the
Tolls. Two weeks after returning from Florida we received a bill from the
Rental car company stating we had to pay a fee of $49+ because we did
Not pay a toll. After reviewing the bill, it was the day we made the trip to st
Petes beach. Stumped because we knew we paid every toll, I was in charger of the
Change. So we called the number and we were told the there is a stretch
Of highway that didn't have toll booths but had a toll imposed.
&@#% what? If you don't have surpass you will be sent a bill for
Well in our case, 20 times the amount of the toll. Wtf! Thanks Florida . a

Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyinjersey View Post
We recently made a trip from Orlando to st. Petes beach in our rented car.
We opted not to get the sun pass and instead we loaded up on change for the
Tolls. Two weeks after returning from Florida we received a bill from the
Rental car company stating we had to pay a fee of $49+ because we did
Not pay a toll. After reviewing the bill, it was the day we made the trip to st
Petes beach. Stumped because we knew we paid every toll, I was in charger of the
Change. So we called the number and we were told the there is a stretch
Of highway that didn't have toll booths but had a toll imposed.
&@#% what? If you don't have surpass you will be sent a bill for
Well in our case, 20 times the amount of the toll. Wtf! Thanks Florida . a
Rental companies are aware of this. I'd take your beef up with them. Why are you paying the rental care company more than the toll anyway?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
you can get a sunpass for $5 at any CVS or Publix... and add a min of $10 via pre paid card... you just have to get some tape to put the transponder in the window. The directions say you have to peel the backing and place on the window but tape will work...YOU can peel the backing and attach to window but renal car company would probably not like that and charge a fee. YOU can also get a multi car transponder for more money and take it with you.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM

185 posts, read 170,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
you can get a sunpass for $5 at any CVS or Publix... and add a min of $10 via pre paid card... you just have to get some tape to put the transponder in the window. The directions say you have to peel the backing and place on the window but tape will work...YOU can peel the backing and attach to window but renal car company would probably not like that and charge a fee. YOU can also get a multi car transponder for more money and take it with you.
This is great information thanks - I'll have to check this out, I thought you had to have a FLA drivers license or car registration to get a Sunpass

Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 AM

439 posts, read 425,639 times
We have been fined in Tampa as well. We are here for the month and decided to use the plate pass system with Budget. It's a maximum charge of 19.75 plus tolls. I don't think we would have paid that for a few days but overall don't feel bad about paying the fee for 30 days. Toll roads in Fl are tricky. Prepaid lanes were closed at one exit so we were stopped on Osceola parkway. Attendant told us prepaid weren't working so we had to pay 2.00. I think we just contributed extra money to Florida roads. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay