Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 AM

74 posts, read 142,802 times

Advertisements

I need some motivation and encouragement from all of you here; here is the situation:

My husband and I live in PA and want to move to Florida. My husband's company is national and they have offices in Tampa and in Ft. Myers. This past August we came down to meet the managers in each office, hoping that they would want my husband to transfer to their district as soon as a job opened up. Before we came, the company indicated that Ft. Myers was more likely to have a job open up first, so that's where we concentrated our visit. We LOVED Ft. Myers! The whole area from Ft. Myers to Naples has a nice, tropical, friendly vibe about it. We didn't spend that much time in Tampa, but when we visited the company's office, the area felt urban and drab. (The office is in the area where I-4 crosses 301, on the east side of Tampa.) We didn't like it at all.

A few months have gone by, and you guessed it- a job opening became available in Tampa, and Ft. Myers is not looking good. We are bummed because we loved Ft. Myers so much, and now it looks like we're stuck with Tampa.

I think part of the problem is that we're not "city people." We do not crave a coffeehouse on every corner or need restaurants or bars or nightlife. What I'd really like is a couple of acres to live peacefully and start a small hobby farm. It seems more difficult to accomplish this in Tampa than in Ft. Myers.

Can anyone tell me why they love Tampa, and make me love it too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,358 times
There are plenty of burbs and rural property surrounding Tampa to the east and north. Once you get 20 minutes outside any city in Florida though, you are in redneckland. you can have your hobby farm next door to a real farm 30 minutes from downtown if you would like. Ft Myers, Tampa, whatever it may be.

I am sure someone will chime in with informaiton on places from brandon to lakeland that you might like. I am unfortunately the resident south tampa/westshore nightlife and condo guy.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,491,223 times
Really depends on where you're looking to live - you can find a lot of property away from the cookie-cutter subdivisions where you could find "space" - I'm thinking areas in Pasco County, Lutz, and areas north of Wesley Chapel. On a side note - I really enjoy driving up and around Ocala, horse country, but that's way too far from Tampa. Beautiful rolling hills up there.

Be ready for a major cultural shock from Pennsylvania to Florida. Might take a lot of adjustment.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Look east to Plant City or north to Dade City (in Pasco County). Dade City is further drive but far more beautiful with rolling hills, woods and lakes. You could find what you want there. Plant City is closer and to me not as nice but you may love it - has that agricultural "country" feel.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
Yeah, 4/301 isn't the most scenic area of town, but the plus side to the office being there is that it wouldn't be a long commute from a lot of the rural areas in eastern Hillsborough County.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It seems like the east and north areas are the most recommended, but how about south towards Sarasota? I took a peek at the Parrish and Wimauma areas, and they seemed more "rural." Are these good areas? Too far of a commute from Tampa?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
I don't know much about Parrish, but Wimauma is mostly a migrant town.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Agree ^^ - Parrish is nice (rural) but Wimauma is a poor, migrant town.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM

156 posts, read 486,667 times
Parrish is nice. Agreed that I would stay out of Wimauma. Dade City also nice. If you want to stay closer to Tampa then Wesley Chapel or Lutz would work too. Personally, I like Lutz and had originally looked at homes there before I settled in Temple Terrace. Wesley Chapel has space but is still close to shopping etc that's right along the New Tampa corridor.

I can see why that area of 301 and I-4 would not be to your liking to live. That's not really a residential area...it's like one giant industrial park over there. The housing areas that are there are not places you want to be.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM

You guys are the best! Thank you for all the suggestions...I'm starting to have hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay