Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:52 AM

156 posts, read 486,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahagal View Post
You guys are the best! Thank you for all the suggestions...I'm starting to have hope!
Best of luck with your move.

PS: Florida Railroad Museum in Parrish is kind of neat. Was just there with my son's class trip last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahagal View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It seems like the east and north areas are the most recommended, but how about south towards Sarasota? I took a peek at the Parrish and Wimauma areas, and they seemed more "rural." Are these good areas? Too far of a commute from Tampa?
I live in the area that you're talking about - lots of open (boring) land - flat, some cattle grazing, lots of immigrant population (Wimauma), poorly developed (steet/roads). Very rural. Probably 30-45 mins to Tampa. US 301 is being expanded in that area (Wimauma and west of Riverview). Parrish is farther out but closer to I75 for a quicker commute.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I am sure someone will chime in with informaiton on places from brandon to lakeland that you might like. I am unfortunately the resident south tampa/westshore nightlife and condo guy.
You should edit that to "I am unfortunately the resident south tampa/westshore nightlife, condo and LIFESTYLES GYM guy".

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,100 times
Hi!

It sounds like we are in similar situations. My hubby and I just moved from Orlando, and though it is not that far...it feels like night and day. But there are positives to Tampa. Being close to the water, shoppings pretty good...and the weather should be a lot better than where you are now.

In the north of Tampa, you can get a few acres of land and a nice house...my hubby and I are looking at one now. And if the "scene" isn't your thing...there is little of that north of Tampa.

Good Luck! I guess all moves are an adjustment.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM

74 posts, read 142,745 times
Hi Nicole,

The weather will definitely be better than where I am now... I had to scrape frost off the windshield for the last two days!

What areas are you looking in for your house? How far north of Tampa?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 12,100 times
We are looking in the Lutz/ Wesley Chapel area. We just found a house in a gorgeous neighborhood with an acre and a half of land...but it is an HOA/deed restricted neighborhood. So depending on what you are looking for as far as being able to have a farm, that could be an issue. But I also found a gorgeous home in Zephyrhills on 3+ acres of land. It was simply too far for my hubby's job and honestly for me as well.

And yeah...you definetely will NOT have to scrape your windows here! We are just getting are first real "cool" blast of air and it feels great! (For Florida, it is all relative...we will stay in the upper 60's this weekend!)

I hope this helps...

Nicole

Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 325,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoletampa View Post

And yeah...you definetely will NOT have to scrape your windows here! We are just getting are first real "cool" blast of air and it feels great! (For Florida, it is all relative...we will stay in the upper 60's this weekend!)
Don't believe it! I've lived in Tampa 7.5 years and there are mornings you have to scrape your windows! Last winter there were days on end when it was cold enough to have frost. Now, that is unusual but it happens! Not as often as you are used to but, it does happen so don't be surprised.

And I can't give you any good reasons to live here because I've never liked it....

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 22,288 times
Riverview is in-between to the South and Ruskin also has larger lots available. The suggestions to settle in Pasco County are directed towards lower property taxes than Hillsborough County. There's large lots available in Pasco, but my shopping experience was they were mostly on unpaved rural roads.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM

109 posts, read 325,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski View Post
Riverview is in-between to the South and Ruskin also has larger lots available. The suggestions to settle in Pasco County are directed towards lower property taxes than Hillsborough County. There's large lots available in Pasco, but my shopping experience was they were mostly on unpaved rural roads.
I have a work friend who ended up buying a house in Ruskin because it was a good deal AND it IS more rural! BEST tomatoes come from Ruskin! I've heard it's a little redneck but it's close to the area you are talking about so the commute wouldn't be too bad.... He worked with me close to Citrus Park and it took him over an hour to get to work.
just my 2 cents

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM

74 posts, read 142,745 times
I don't think I'd mind unpaved rural roads at all. I'll add Ruskin and Riverview to the list. The areas in Pasco sound nice, too, but I definitely do not want deed restrictions and HOA fees!

Earlier in this thread a few of you approved of the Parrish area. I've been looking a little closer at that area and it sounds great- safe, rural, and decently close to Sarasota and St. Petersburg beaches for a visit on the weekends.

I'll take the advice here too and keep my ice scraper- but at least it will be an "unusual" occurrence and not everyday for months on end like PA.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'm doing my homework on every area you mention and am getting more excited and less apprehensive about this move every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay