Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,791 times

Advertisements

I hadn't been to the Fair in a few years, but went this year not once, but twice.

While much was the same, there was a lot of things that were different too. I enjoyed the Bobby Flay demo,but wish people weren't blocking my view. Didn't think too much of the talent at Chevy Court otherwise, maybe I'm just getting old.

Food was good, and there were bargains to be had. Of course I did the chocolate milk, and had ice cream too. Free yogurt in the Horticulture building near the baked potatoes. Of course, I did get one of those baked potatoes. Butter sculpture was unimpressive, not very detailed at all. I did see the duck races, Hollywood racing pigs, and sea lion show. My long time favorite is the Raptor Project show. Despite the fact that all of these shows are free, they do sometimes get shamelessly commercial.

I understand the reasons for moving the wine court as people were getting rather drunk just sitting there. But I don't think that where they moved it is a good idea. It's tucked into a strange little corner between the cow barn and coliseum. It looks like it was set up hastily. While it does have potential, it just isn't there yet. NYS wine deserves a better venue for its responsible promotion.

All in all, it was a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,768,652 times
Breezy- I don't think you went to the actual wine court but maybe just somewhere that sold wine slushies? The wine court is by the train tracks, right between the Horticulture Building and the Mohegan Grandstand.

I agree though... it's too out of the way and the Chevy Court is soooo blah now. I used to love that crush of people, after entering the gates, excited to get their enormous wine slushie and stroll around the Fair. LOL - it was an instant shot of "We're at the Fair- let the party begin!"

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,002,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Breezy- I don't think you went to the actual wine court but maybe just somewhere that sold wine slushies? The wine court is by the train tracks, right between the Horticulture Building and the Mohegan Grandstand.

I agree though... it's too out of the way and the Chevy Court is soooo blah now. I used to love that crush of people, after entering the gates, excited to get their enormous wine slushie and stroll around the Fair. LOL - it was an instant shot of "We're at the Fair- let the party begin!"
There are two. The Grandstand one is actually supposed to be the secondary one; the main one is where breezy noted.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,768,652 times
Oh good! LOL - because that huge wine tent with only a half-dozen vendors was pretty pathetic.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM

357 posts, read 969,829 times
I got to go to the state fair when I was in town visiting family and had a really nice time. Brought back a lot of memories.

We went through all the buildings, I sneezed my way through all the animal buildings but I still have to go through them all or else it wouldn't be a true visit to the state fair

-Saw the Percheron horses in competition - amazing horses!

-The Angora Rabbits crack me up everytime I see them, they look like one big puff ball!

-Kids enjoyed all the baby piglets and their gigantic Mothers until they read the sign talking about how the babies get butchered for meat when they get bigger. It still makes be laugh when I think of the look on their faces. Can you tell their city kids!

-The quilts and other crafts were beautiful, some people have amazing talent in their hands.

-Just when the kids started begging to leave the craft section (they don't find it as exciting) we found the miniture circus room. Lots of fun looking at those.

-Had deep fried PB & J for the first time, very sweet, but good.

-And last but not least we all enjoyed our .25cent milk cup and ice cream from Byrne Dairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area