Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,349,993 times

Advertisements

Oh man, the sound of the old scooby sport system.... music to my ears.
When I had a WRX (first US model year) they were not kid cars. In fact, most of the guys in our NASIOC group were late 20s, early 30s. The car was considered a bit pricey, and honestly there weren't that many of them. Folks would ask you "What kind of car is that?" I will admit though, the WRX and other solid performers from 00-04 can now be had cheap, and more "kids" are driving them (an 18 yo with an S2K, shocker). Subuaru in general is still a very grown up brand.

And while they're awesome, esp in STI trim, I wouldn't have ever tried to tow or pull anything with mine, 'cept maybe a small trailer with a track set and tools (as if I had the money back then to have a track only set, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 AM

53 posts, read 201,417 times
It's not all about power, gearing plays a HUGE part. You could pull a 50k pound trailer with a 1 hp electric motor with the right gearing. It just wouldn't be fast.

If you don't believe me, get in a real 4x4 with low range, set the parking brake just tight enough so it won't move in high range, put in in low and see what happens. Those trucks have a billion gears for a reason.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,818,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That is hilarious. But lets not forget who mainly drive Subaru WRX's.... kids.
lol I thought "kids" drove Civics with stickers and fart cans and flashy colors and still thought they were the fastest thing on wheels...lol

Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 724,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
lol I thought "kids" drove Civics with stickers and fart cans and flashy colors and still thought they were the fastest thing on wheels...lol

you thought right.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,493,057 times
The funniest thing about many of these replys is that if it were a big Chevrolet truck or somethin "proudly built in America" pulling the semi out it would be attributed to the "power" of the American truck. .

Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,735,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The funniest thing about many of these replys is that if it were a big Chevrolet truck or somethin "proudly built in America" pulling the semi out it would be attributed to the "power" of the American truck. .
A little agitated are we?

I'll make a video of my Ram 2500 in granny gear + 4-low... with the truck FLOORED at 2500 rpm it moves about 5mph tops. So yeah... it would be far more believable that a pickup would be moving it than a torqueless little awd car.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,394,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
that because it has the extra weight and the low gearing to do just that and trucks are made for towing hence the full frame massive torque monster motor and 4.10's in the rear. where the STI is unibody and makes all it's torque and power at high RPM's where a truck makes it all on the low end.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:46 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,377,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
A little agitated are we?

I'll make a video of my Ram 2500 in granny gear + 4-low... with the truck FLOORED at 2500 rpm it moves about 5mph tops. So yeah... it would be far more believable that a pickup would be moving it than a torqueless little awd car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
that because it has the extra weight and the low gearing to do just that and trucks are made for towing hence the full frame massive torque monster motor and 4.10's in the rear. where the STI is unibody and makes all it's torque and power at high RPM's where a truck makes it all on the low end.
The Sti produces max torque from a relatively modest 3500rpm or so, with remapping (like they do to rally cars) they actually have a very impressive bottom end grunt.

Regardless of that though, the WRX and the WRX STi are well known for their towing abilities. And either way, the truck probably only needed some helt to get going, it's not really that uncommon, especially it the tires of the truck are warm, and melting the snow/ice, making it slippier.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If that truck was "stuck" the driver needs to find a new job because he sure can't drive. A WRX-STI couldn't pull a pick-up out of a ditch if it were stuck for real.
My thoughts exactly Bydand. From over twenty years experience of driving big rigs in all kinds of weather conditions.

GL2

Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,394,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The Sti produces max torque from a relatively modest 3500rpm or so, with remapping (like they do to rally cars) they actually have a very impressive bottom end grunt.

Regardless of that though, the WRX and the WRX STi are well known for their towing abilities. And either way, the truck probably only needed some helt to get going, it's not really that uncommon, especially it the tires of the truck are warm, and melting the snow/ice, making it slippier.
2008 WRX tow capacity was 2,000 pounds

the thing to check with turbo cars is the heat. whie towing the engine will frequently require the turbo to kick in. The heat generated by the engine/turbo will be higher than normal. In a long-run with towing (more than 1000 pounds), the risk will be greater to damage this at the mid-long term. There are others variables such as the conditions of the road (mountains…), acceleration required etc…

For a turbo-diesel truck, this doesn’t apply as the engine/turbo has been made for towing ! The turbo is heavy duty, and the heat generated is exhausted much more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru