Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
pth pth started this thread

274 posts, read 458,638 times

Advertisements

So I went and drove both of these cars..as I am looking to purchase one. Here's my dilemma.

The 2007 forester is an l.l. bean edition with 67k miles. It's in immaculate condition and was a BLAST to drive.

-I have an 80 lb lab and a girlfriend with no kids.
-We are extremely active outdoors.

The owner wants 16k for it.

The 2009 Forester is a limited with 36k miles. Its in great condition and was fun to drive but not as fun as the older model. The owner wants 17k for it.

So the dilemma is this: Practicality wise, the newer, less-mileage forester is only 1k more..but i had a lot of fun and like the overall look of the '07.

what should I do? I need enough room for the pup, which both cars provide im sure...but i dont think i should pay 16k for a car with 67k miles on it when i could get a newer one with 36k miles. But I got that "feeling" when driving the older one.

help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Then get the 07 but offer them 14K and see if they take it.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Then get the 07 but offer them 14K and see if they take it.
he seemed pretty firm on the price, and if that's the case then i cant justify not spending the extra to get lower miles and a newer car...whether i enjoy the 07 more.

it's an individual owner!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
he seemed pretty firm on the price, and if that's the case then i cant justify not spending the extra to get lower miles and a newer car...whether i enjoy the 07 more.

it's an individual owner!
Tell him 14k is your final offer. If he doens't take it, buy the other one.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM

I mean would you guys pay that much in this situation? Especially given that the newer one has fewer miles and is hardly more than the older one? Even if I absolutely LOVED driving the older one?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I mean would you guys pay that much in this situation? Especially given that the newer one has fewer miles and is hardly more than the older one? Even if I absolutely LOVED driving the older one?
Me, I'd buy the newer one with fewer miles (especially if you could talk that one down to the price of the 07).

But if you feel that car is worth the asking price, then it is. It's all a matter of what you'd be willing to pay for it, and absolutely nothing else.

I have a 99 Forester with a ton of miles that is REALLY REALLY FUN to drive I'll sell you for $13k.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Me, I'd buy the newer one with fewer miles (especially if you could talk that one down to the price of the 07).

But if you feel that car is worth the asking price, then it is. It's all a matter of what you'd be willing to pay for it, and absolutely nothing else.

I have a 99 Forester with a ton of miles that is REALLY REALLY FUN to drive I'll sell you for $13k.

hahaha. Well the 09 forester is a limited so its already 3k below market value...it's a guy selling it for his mother (old lady) who apparently took really good care of it. From what ive seen hes right, and driving it was great.

the 07 was maintained by the owner and is immaculate as well. BAH!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
get the newer '09 forester with less miles. Let's be honest, it's a crossover, not a sportscar. There's a limit to how a CUV can corner & handle just because of its inherent mass & height & suspension setup. Just wait until you're married (BEFORE you have kids!) when you can get that sports coupe and still have wifey drive the crossover.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
hahaha. Well the 09 forester is a limited so its already 3k below market value...it's a guy selling it for his mother (old lady) who apparently took really good care of it. From what ive seen hes right, and driving it was great.

the 07 was maintained by the owner and is immaculate as well. BAH!
Here's what you do. If the 09 is really undervalued $3k, buy it, and sell it for $3k more than you paid for it. Then get the 07 and feel better about paying top dollar for it.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
One thing to consider is that cars between 60K and 110K miles will need to have a lot of the more expensive service items (brakes, shocks/struts, exhaust, etc) replaced. So besides getting a couple of extra years of service out of the lower-mileage car, you would likely also have a couple of years at the front end where you could reasonably expect to not have much in the way of repair bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru