Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,555,555 times

Advertisements

Buy the newer car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
hahaha. Well the 09 forester is a limited so its already 3k below market value...it's a guy selling it for his mother (old lady) who apparently took really good care of it. From what ive seen hes right, and driving it was great.

the 07 was maintained by the owner and is immaculate as well. BAH!

I don't think it is 3000 below market value. Probably dead on. My local no haggle dealer has a bunch of 2009 Premium with the same miles for 17000. A Limited is at most 1500-2000 more retail. So, that price is pretty much dead on for a private part sale. Might even have a 500 to play with. Remember, the seller is trying to beat a trade in offer which is probably no higher than 16000.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,927,465 times
Pre 2009 are lesbian cars. Sorry, but they are just butt ugly. Get the 2009. Or better yet, get a Outback XT with the turbo and REALLY have some fun.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM

meh, ok, lesbian. The Forester is always rated the #1 "lesbian" car in those articles....just funny stuff.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM

26,479 posts, read 46,796,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Pre 2009 are lesbian cars. Sorry, but they are just butt ugly. Get the 2009. Or better yet, get a Outback XT with the turbo and REALLY have some fun.
Nice language... I needed a used Subaru and the most AFFORDABLE one I could find was a 2004 Forester XS with the cold weather package and giant sunroof. I negotiated the price down to $8K and it really is an excellent driving vehicle in great condition. It does have the color keyed matching front and rear bumpers so it really doesn't look bad at all compared to "most" cars. Here in New Hampshire MANY people drive Subaru vehicles of all different ages, demographics, etc so any model year Forester is a dime a dozen. I do think a substantially higher percentage of women than men drive these vehicles, though. I do a lot of outdoorsy activities and the Forester performs well on very poor road surfaces in bad weather conditions.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM

1/4 cars in Colorado are Subarus. It's a cult car for sure. They are so ugly and the interior is cheap with no thrills, why people want them for their AWD is just beyond me.

Ok, carry on

Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,332,494 times
Well, both are out of warranty already, unless one or the other has an extended and transferable warranty already. It means that there is a greater chance for the Forester than has more miles to have a mechanical breakdown. What I would do is to get the VIN numbers, and have the Service Manager of the Subaru dealer that serviced the car print-out the maintenance record. This should give you an idea of which one of the two has had scheduled maintenance recorded.

That said, I would think that the newer one would be a better financial deal. It means that it will be up to you to decided what is more important to you: fun, or deal.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,655,661 times
Quote:
1/4 cars in Colorado are Subarus. It's a cult car for sure. They are so ugly and the interior is cheap with no thrills, why people want them for their AWD is just beyond me.

Ok, carry on
What exactly is considered a "thrill" in a car interior?

As far as choosing between the 07 and 09 Forester, the 09 will be a little larger and has a little more ground clearance since it's more SUVish. The 09 has more leg room in the back seat and more cargo space. I was never a fan on the frameless windows in older Subarus so I would choose the 09 just because of that. You could always get new springs and shocks to lower the suspension of the 09 to make it feel more like the 07.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM

26,479 posts, read 46,796,689 times
Quote:

Ok, carry on
"why people want them for their AWD is just beyond me."

Uh, superior handling on snow packed roads with studded snow tires, good traction and control on gravel and dirt roads, etc. The best AWD for fuel economy on the market that is non-hybrid is important to many as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,557,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
What exactly is considered a "thrill" in a car interior?

As far as choosing between the 07 and 09 Forester, the 09 will be a little larger and has a little more ground clearance since it's more SUVish. The 09 has more leg room in the back seat and more cargo space. I was never a fan on the frameless windows in older Subarus so I would choose the 09 just because of that. You could always get new springs and shocks to lower the suspension of the 09 to make it feel more like the 07.
Ah I love frameless! Great if you ever have to transport a really big length of PVC pipe, as I found out yesterday. Just open the window and shut the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru