Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

While I don't have experience with autism, I can recommend the Learning Disability Association of St. Louis: [url=http://www.ldastl.org/]Learning Disabilities Association of St. Louis > Home ( DNN 4.3.7 )[/url]

They are a wonderful resource. Best wishes to you! Keep seeking the very best for your child, and believing in your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,658 times
I don't agree with your statement. There are things you don't want to know about that take place in huge public schools. No one checks to see what is going on and sometimes kids are neglected.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
If you are serious about wanting a good school for high-functioning students on the autism spectrum, I recommend the Miriam School in Webster Groves. The Churchill School is also a good option.

The reason why you would want to explore the possiblity of placing your high-functioning or learning-disabled child in a tuition-based school as opposed to receiving SSD support through the public school, is that SSD can only do so much. The level of support and services you'llget in a private school environment is going to be much greater than what SSD can afford to do. The fact is that the "Least Restrictive Environment" is not always the appropriate environment for all students. I should know. I am a special education teacher and the parent of a special needs student. My child was one of the kids who fell into that "grey area", and I fought tooth and nail for SSD services, but I couldn't get the level of support that my child needed from the public schools. So, my own child now goes to a private school like those I mentioned above. There is no way I will put my kid back into public school, even with SSD services. Education is very individual, and when students have special needs the interventions and supports need to be considered all the more thoughtfully. It's not about pedigree; it's about helping a child build the tools to make it through school.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,364 times
Oh my goodness. Some of you are so ignorant. Private is generally better. Regardless of where you live, and especially when it comes to special needs. Abuse is rampant against autistic people in public schools, and so is discrimination. I would look into MODESE and OCR sites and see the complaints lodged every day towards the schools, and for what. I would also seek out actual education and advocacy organizations not 'autism as a disease' orgs like Autism Speaks who take your money and do nothing. Try to get your child into a private Lutheran or catholic school. I wouldn't look for an autism specific school. But it is your choice. Most of the private schools now have special education staff now and the public schools have to fund all related services to privately placed students. Even if you do homeschool, the public district is supposed to set up a service plan for you. Do you have a service coordinator through DMH yet? Get one. They can help you with all kinds of other resources in the community and your child has a right to services. Community and school.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
oltc.us is a web address where nurses are being train to work with special needs student and adult with mental behavior,(exp) (autism, dyslexia, work with patient with dialysis at home and in a office, draw blood,work in a long care facility,and home health care )the nurses are issued a certificate in Patient Care Tech, it allow the student to come into home. we are located in St.Louis Missouri, interested individual go our web site and review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis