Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 44,770 times

Advertisements

We will be moving back to St. Louis in early April and I am looking for an affordable private school with a high quality education program for my son, who is in Kindergarten. He will need to transfer mid-year, but it is out of our control. The lowest price I have been able to find is around $300/month. I am not picky when it comes to religious affiliation. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM

325 posts, read 851,460 times
Where in St. Louis are you moving and what type of education are you looking for?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM

We're moving back to South City. My son is exceptionally bright (as I'm sure all parents say). He's an accelerated reader in his current school. I'm open to various types of education. The main thing that I'm looking for is a curriculum that will keep up with his current abilities. He is on the waiting list for Magnet Schools and is in the drawing for Charter in March. We're looking for an affordable backup plan in case he doesn't get into Charter.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Which Charter? St. Louis Charter school may not be able to keep up with your son. I sent my oldest there, but it was 5 years ago. There is also the Language Immersion Charter Schools that just opened this year. We know a couple of people with kids there and have heard mixed reviews.

Have you looked at City Garden Montessori Charter School? I have 4 kids there and two of them got into Kennard but we went with the smaller school instead. I could not be happier. B/c the classes are multi-age they can work at whatever level they are capable of and always pushed further. There are two hitches, 1.) Because it is set up as a neighborhood school, you have to live between hwy 40 and Magnolia and Kingshighway and Grand. and 2.) They don't accept non-Montessori trained kids after like 1st grade. (but they have made exceptions, there just aren't a lot of slots open in the older age levels. If you have any questions about enrollment, please do not hesitate to contact Christie Huck, Assistant Director, at 314-664-7646 or info@citygardenschool.org

Another school we have heard good things about is the Soulard School. They have sliding scale tuition. There are several Christian schools, some good some bad. And every parish has a school, again a lot depends on which parish and where you live.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:46 PM

We are not within the vicinity for CGMCS...gah! I am not familiar with Soulard School or the Language Immersion Charter School, but will look into it. Thanks, ktCakes. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 26,429 times
I am very familiar with The Soulard School. If you are planning on pulling your kid and getting them in the Magnet Schools when space becomes available then I would advocate a different place. If not and you are looking for a long term elementary then I would recommend you check TSS out. You can always call for an appt to get a look at the school in action.

Also, I have met the woman who runs the language immersion school and have a very favorable impression of her. I wish we had her at TSS. I also wish they offered after school language classes for other kids.

What do you mean you aren't in the City Garden vicinity? It's too far or they won't have you?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdietrich View Post
What do you mean you aren't in the City Garden vicinity? It's too far or they won't have you?
City Garden has geographic boundaries that you have to live within. There charter is to create a neighborhood school.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Yes, as ktCakes said, I live outside of the geographical boundaries.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 26,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
City Garden has geographic boundaries that you have to live within. There charter is to create a neighborhood school.
I did not know that. I do live in the neighborhood. I recently heard they were having some upheaval, possibly the board fired the woman who began the school.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdietrich View Post
I did not know that. I do live in the neighborhood. I recently heard they were having some upheaval, possibly the board fired the woman who began the school.
Yes, that was at the beginning of the school year. It was very hard but absolutely necessary. She was a great director of a small private preschool but proved to be unable to deal with the red tape and additional pressure of the reporting and intense scrutiny involved with publicly funded schools. The director that is in charge now has a lot of experience with urban education. He founded the La Salle Institute in North City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: