Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 AM

19 posts, read 204,896 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are first year law students at Wash U and SLU, respectively. We have a daughter who will be four years old next fall and we are looking to enroll her in junior kindergarten. We just moved to the area and have no idea how the private schools work around here.

What are the best private schools (academically and/or socially)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilikins View Post
My husband and I are first year law students at Wash U and SLU, respectively. We have a daughter who will be four years old next fall and we are looking to enroll her in junior kindergarten. We just moved to the area and have no idea how the private schools work around here.

What are the best private schools (academically and/or socially)?
What are you looking for in a school? Some schools are good for sports, others for extreme emphasis on academics, others on investigative learning techniques, others on community building, etc. Where are you living? There are lots of great private schools located all over the metro area. Do you intend to stay in St. Louis, and want to ensure that your child is on the right "track" to get into the best private high schools? Does you kid have special needs, such as being gifted or having ADD? Do you have a religious preference?

If you are looking at schools near the law schools, then St. Margaret of Scotland in the Shaw neighborhood runs a well-regarded Montessori program. Sacred Heart Villa on the Hill is also considered a very good pre-school. If you don't want a Catholic school, then the New City School, Wilson School, and Forsyth School are all well-regarded private schools near the law schools. They are, however, two to three times more expensive than the Catholic schools with very little difference in the results, in my opinion.

If you are looking for the most "exclusive" private schools, then check out Mary Institute and Country Day School (MICDS), Villa Duschesne/Oak Hill School, or Visitation, all located way out in West County (nowhere near the law schools).

If you aren't in West County or the City, let me know where you are and I can give you some other ideas.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM

73 posts, read 356,667 times
I remember walking and driving past the Forsyth School often when I was a student at Wash U (the address of the school is on Wydown, though the school is visible from Forsyth, just off Skinker) and though I can't attest to the quality of the academics, it looked like a really nice school. It'd certainly be convenient for you, at the least.

Forsyth School, a nationally recognized independent elementary school in St. Louis, Missouri

Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the responses! Location isn't too important because we have a car and are willing to drive. We are looking for the best school academically. We do intend to stay in St. Louis, and want our daughter to attend one better schools.

Do you know what the environment is like at MICDS/Visitation/Oak Hill? What is the student body like? etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
TGS

The best school academically is going to be a touchy subject! St. Louis has a huge private school system, and everyone thinks that their school is the best!

The environment at MICDS/Viz/Oak Hill is "exclusive," i.e. money talks. Read Wade Rouse's "Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler" for an inside look at MICDS: Rouse worked there from the early 1990's until last year, though he renames the school in the book. Their student bodies are your sterotypical prep school mix... racially diverse, but not economically diverse.

If your kid learns by investigation or non-traditional methods, then I recommend New City School or the College School in Webster Groves.

If your kid would do well in a traditional sectarian school with great academics, then I would recommend the Wilson School, Forsyth, St. Michael School (in University City), or the Community School (in Ladue).

If your kid would do well in a traditional parochial school with a strong focus on the community and family involvement, as well as huge selection of sports and after-school activities, then I would recommend St. Ambrose on the Hill (Sacred Heart Villa for preschool), St. Margaret of Scotland in Shaw, St. Gabriel's in St. Louis Hills, Our Lady of Lourdes in University City, Mary Queen of Peace in Webster Groves, or St. Peter's in Kirkwood. There are a ton of Catholic schools all over the metro area, and the vast majority of them are good, so check out the one closest to you, also. These schools are real bargains compared to the secular private schools.

All of the elementary schools mentioned have strong placement rates into the top private high schools (MICDS, Burroughs, St. Joseph's, Nerinx, Ursuline, Cor Jesu, Rosati-Kain, Whitfield). You aren't going to go wrong by choosing any of them, so long as they fit your child's personality. St. Louis almost has too many good schools to choose from!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! Location isn't too important because we have a car and are willing to drive. We are looking for the best school academically. We do intend to stay in St. Louis, and want our daughter to attend one better schools.

Do you know what the environment is like at MICDS/Visitation/Oak Hill? What is the student body like? etc.
Strong academics, small enrollment, lots of attention, exclusivity, high wealth. Drive is 15 minutes, 30 with traffic.

Oak Hill is on the campus of Villa Duschesne high school for girls(7-12). Picture a long winding road entrance with big huge trees and lots of luxury cars in the parking lot. The grade school is co-ed until 7th grade. Visitation, again an all girls school(7-12) with a grade school too....both Villa and Viz are Catholic schools. MICDS is a Coeducational High School. It used to be Country Day(all boys) and merged with Mary Institute next door, to be called MICDS. John Burroughs in Ladue....private coed schools, very small, college like tuitions.

There are many more to choose from and mention based on your interests, needs, size, and geography.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:23 AM

I checked out the schools and we're leaning towards Visitation. Does it have a reputation of being very religious/conservative? We are pretty moderate politically and we haven't quite decided whether to raise our daughter religious or not, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem at Catholic schools.

Last edited by bilikins; 10-11-2007 at 05:38 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 AM

22 posts, read 117,299 times
My husband attend private Catholic schools in St. Louis (grades K-12). Although they do require many religion courses, I believe most kids came out perfctly induvidual, with an understanding of the religion. It depends on the school of course. I myself, would not send my child to one, because to me that is kind of predetermining my child's religious view. I would rather she learn a broader sense of spirituality and decide for herself. Several of the Catholic schools in St. Louis has AWESOME sports though. I would

www.visitationacademy.org
www.greatschools.net
www.independentschools.org

those or a few i come up with when i searched for private schools in St. Louis

Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
I checked out the schools and we're leaning towards Visitation. Does it have a reputation of being very religious/conservative? We are pretty moderate politically and we haven't quite decided whether to raise our daughter religious or not, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem at Catholic schools.
Visitation Academy is a good school. It is considered very small. It believes in the Montessori philosphy of teaching toddlers.(so familarize yourself with that if you aren't). It's the only all girls grade school grades 1-6 in the metro STL area. Other comparable schools like Villa Duschesne are co-ed til 7th grade.

There will be plenty of moderates. Not all kids will be Catholic, but obviously a majority will be...and it doesn't make one bit of difference in fitting in, succeeding etc...at Viz or the other area Catholic schools. Your daughter will be exposed to Catholicism obviously at that type of school, but it won't be thrown in your face.

Some teachers are conservative, moderate, liberal, etc...all depends on the individual.

It's centrally located, a good academic school,(half of the student body is getting a 30 on their ACT's) has athletics and other programs to offer for extra-cirriculars. It's small in size.

Go to some events there and speak with parents and teachers and see for yourself whether or not it is a good fit for you.

There are plenty of choices out there, so find the one you and your kid(s) like the best.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM
TGS

I know you said that you wouldn't mind driving, but you might want to consider the Highway 40 reconstruction. If you live near the law schools, then driving to West County for Viz is going to be a real problem in the next few years. I went through law school with a child, and trust me, you don't want to add an hour's drive each way to an elementary school to your day. Viz is right on the busy area of Ballas/Highway 40, and the traffic will be HELL when the Highway shuts down completely next year. There are many schools that are just as well regarded right by the law schools and out of the construction zone. Wilson, Forsyth, and Our Lady of Lourdes are practically on WU's campus.

If you are living out in West County, then disregard. Viz is a great school, and you will be dealing with the traffic anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis