Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM

63 posts, read 223,242 times

Advertisements

I haven't copied and pasted anything. Hmmmm. Just curious where you saw the same post twice. I've commented on other threads asking about private schools, but never copied and pasted.

When we moved here, this site helped me tremendously in several areas. I'm so thankful for the help I got, so I occassionally look on here to see if I can answer other people's questions. But, I usually sit and visit a bunch for a day or two, then don't even get on again for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 13,365 times
Default Private Education in St. Louis

Hello, prospective private school parents! (say that 5 times fast)
I myself am a private school alum; i attended private grade school, private high school, and private college. I loved my experience, that's that, and I would like other parents to know that it is a good choice to make to send a child to private school.
As for the argument private vs. public, there's a few simple differences: private schools have more teachers that have more creative control with their curriculum (since it is not government standardized), which results in more hands-on learning. Also, since private schools are considerably smaller, the atmosphere is more like a home than an institution. And of course, a religion class.
I have mainly only heard of schools in West County, but each separate school has a reputation. In the realm of grade schools, some are definitely better than others. I know that Holy Redeemer in Webster Groves, Our Lady of the Pillar in Ladue, St. Alban's, Mary Queen of Peace in Webster, St. Peter's in Kirkwood, Academy of the Sacred Heart, St. Clement in Des Peres, Oak Hill in Frontenac, Gateway in Chesterfield, and Holy Infant in the Ballwin-ish area are all very very reputable schools as far as parish schools go. If a person wasn't Catholic or was just looking for a different way of schooling without a parish, I would recommend the College School in Webster Groves. It is a very new school for preK-to-8th-grade aged children that uses more hands-on techniques and adventures to teach children their lessons. it is about as expensive as a Catholic private high school, though, rolling in at near $13,000 a year for kdg on up, while most parish schools are usually around $5,000 or $6,000.
As for the private Catholic High Schools, many of these also have distinct repuatations. For boys, the schools that are most academically renowned are SLUH, Priory, and Chaminade. Now this isn't to say that other boys schools like St. John Vianney and CBC aren't "smart" schools, but they may not have as strong a rep for academics.
For girls, one will hear that Cor Jesu is the top choice for academics. However, Cor Jesu has a grading scale that has much leeway. 90-100 is an A, 80-90 is a B, 70-80 is a C, and so on. And in reality, the curriculum is nearly the same as other all-girls schools of its rank. For a more athletically talented girl, St. Joseph's is the way to go. That school was near breaking a record for holding state titles just a year ago when I attended, and I'm sure they've won more since then. St. Joseph's Academy wasn't too terribly hard academically, but their grading scale is ridiculous. An A+, or 99-100, is a 4.3, an A, or 98-95, was a 4.0, and an A-, or a 94-92 was a 3.6. Thus, a person with a 3.6 average at this school was an A- student, not a B student as it would be at other schools. This complicated system was confusing and unneccesary. But St. Joseph's was a great school and I really enjoyed my academic, social, and spiritual life while I was there. As for other girl's schools, Visitation Academy is a very good school, as is Villa Duchesne/Oak Hill. Villa is one of the more academically renowned schools as well. Nerinx Hall is known for its more liberal approach to learning and loose rules. Ursuline Academy is either not challenging or too challenging for some girls because it uses a track system. In a track system, the school is divided into a low track, mid track, and high track which is designed to correspond with the student's capability of learning. Once you are in a track, it is difficult to switch.
That's my speel on private Catholic grade & high schools.
If you were looking for something non-religious, go with the College School for grade school and John Burroughs for high school.
I knew a girl who went to the College School and she said it was literally the best time of her life. And I knew another girl who went to Burroughs and was very, very intelligent. Burroughs is a little epensive though, at about $20,000.
k. just thought i would try and divulge all of the secrets of the schooling world.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 13,012 times
send her to Kennard. its a blue ribbon school a very hard award to
get. i personally went there it was not fun but you learn alot
of things. its in the city too

Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzhang View Post
send her to Kennard. its a blue ribbon school a very hard award to
get. i personally went there it was not fun but you learn alot
of things. its in the city too
Please say that this is a joke and not a true representation of the education you received at Kennard.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Please say that this is a joke and not a true representation of the education you received at Kennard.

I thought the same thing, too. Perhaps it's a young person forgetting that's s/he's not texting. Maybe that's the only kind of written English s/he uses on a regular basis. S/he didn't mention Metro High or college so I'm going to assume she didn't go to either institution.

Guess that burger flipping job at Mickey D's can buy her enough texting $.

inahandbasket

Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
burroughs, micds, and whitfield all over $20k a year

Old 02-27-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,049 times
Does Cor Jesu or Nernix have a higher raiting

Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S. Friedmann View Post
Does Cor Jesu or Nernix have a higher raiting
Both schools have great reputations and test scores.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,471 times
i am a student at visitation and i love it there! iv been going there since i was three years old and it's great! it is a catholic scool and we go to first friday mass every month as well as prayer servces once in a while. the teachers are very nice and the environment is very friendly!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,566 times
Hello prospective Private School parents, My name is Erin Nelson. I am a sophomore at Saint Louis University. I graduated from St. Josephs Academy, an all-girls high school, in 2013. I am a big supporter of same-sex education. Check out my blog for the many life-long benefits of sending your child to a same-sex high school. [url=http://stlsame-sexhighschools.weebly.com/]Same-Sex High Schools in St. Louis - A More Efficient Way of Learning[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis