Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 AM

76 posts, read 297,385 times

Advertisements

My two older children attend Parkway Schools and are doing great. However, it just doesn't seem to be working for my little one. She's very creative and artistically oriented and she is very unhappy at school. Anyone know of any good private schools that focus less on constant testing and more on addressing children's individual needs and talents? Does such a school even exist?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:17 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
There are plenty of good private schools. How much can you afford to pay for tuition? Are you open to Catholic schools?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
There are plenty of good private schools. How much can you afford to pay for tuition? Are you open to Catholic schools?
I can spend whatever tuition is necessary because I am a stay home mom who will get a job to pay for it if necessary. I'm not opposed to Catholic schools but I'm not sure a parochial school is what I'm looking for. I have friends who pulled their kids out of one out here because it is so worksheet heavy and that is my problem with the school that my daughter is in. She's more hands on and the constant worksheets are boring to her.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
If money is no object, then look at The College School in Webster Groves, Wilson School in Clayton, Forsyth School and New City School in St. Louis, Villa Duschene/Oak Hill in Ladue, and Sacred Heart in St. Charles. Soulard School in St. Louis also might work. It really depends on if you want a school that teaches a standard curriculum, but at a high level without much repetition (since all the kids in the school are at least average or above), or if you want an alternative type of education that focuses more on investigation and hands-on lessons (but can be lacking in pure academic rigor).

Some Catholic parish schools are worksheet heavy and others are not. Each school is run by the parish, so the curriculum and teaching style can vary greatly. Before you spend the big bucks on an independent school, check out the Catholic schools near your house. I know of a few in the city that are good for investigative learners, but I can't imagine that there isn't one closer that would work.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM
epr

3 posts, read 6,910 times
my daughter went to Wilson School for 4&5, and loved it~

Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM

My SIL recommended The College School too, so I will look into it. Also, I think I am going to check out another Parkway School down the street from us. It seems to be more highly regarded than the one we are zoned to attend. Also, does anyone know anything about the Magnet Visual and Performing Arts grade school? I know the STLPS are in chaos but I've heard some of the magnets are okay.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
(disclaimer) I am biased because I have a little one at New City, but..... I think New City is good. It has a very pleasant ambiance. From what I understand, it leads other private elementary schools on attributes of funky and eclectic, while still maintaining an academically strong student body. They definitely place emphasis on "developing the whole child" and that is to say, they don't force children into a frenetic achievement orientation. There is definitely an emphasis placed on understanding and appreciating individual differences and creative pursuits. But the cool thing is, the kids tend to develop naturally into curious, independent, critical thinkers with a wide array of competitive skills. Many excel academically. The educators there espouse the theory of multiple intelligences (or "MI" as it is known in pedagogue circles) that, as I understand it, sees intelligence not as a single facet of intellectual ability, but as a multitude of discernible intelligences (e.g., spatial, musical, verbal, etc etc). I say whatever, the people there seem mostly well educated and laid back, which is what I like most about it.

I have heard that College School is similarly laid back, secular, creative, liberal. Have also heard that Forsyth is more academically rigorous and achievement oriented. Those were the only 3 private schools we looked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis