Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM

466 posts, read 1,062,077 times

Advertisements

University city off-leash dog park, membership fee: $20 for the first dog, $2 each additional dog (nonresidents pay $80 and $25), Shaw neighborhood dog park: membership fee: $25.00 for first dog, additional dogs ???
Compton Hill Water Tower off-leash dog park: $35.00 for first dog, additional dogs ???
Central West End off-leash dog park, membership fee: Student: $45 per year
Regular: $50 per year, live and work outside CWE: $60 per year. Note: Please add $25 for each additional dog.
All off-leash dog parks in the St. Louis metroplex have this kind of membership fees. Of course all dogs have to be up with their vaccinations (you have to proof it with a letter from your vet).
I found 4 free dog parks in St. Louis metroplex:
St. Charles DuSable off-leash dog park at 2598 N. Main Street, St. Charles, MO 63301. The dog park is at the Katy trail (good for a long walk, bike ride or jogging) and is 2.5 acres, divided in an area for big dogs and for small dogs. There are also restrooms there and water for you and the dogs.
Brommelsiek Park at the intersection of Schwede and Wilson roads, off State Road DD (it's kind in the boondocks, about 1 hour from downtown St. Louis) and it is the best dog park in this area, with also great hiking trails around there. It has also a little pond for the dogs to play and swim in. Gorgeous. With restrooms nearby. In the winter though it can be closed, so maybe call before or when it closed just go for a wonderful walk on the trails.
Paw Park dog park in Arnold, Lakeside Dr., with a separate small dog area, shade, benches, and drinking fountains. It's about 1 acre.
There is a "unofficial" dog park downtown, the Ellen Clark Sculpture Park at St. Louis University (thanks aragx6) at Lindell & N Grand. Don't forget quarters to feed the parking meters for your car.
Hope this helps other dog lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
^You're very welcome. Hopefully someday soon me and my pups will be there as well!

And thanks for compiling this list!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^You're very welcome. Hopefully someday soon me and my pups will be there as well!

And thanks for compiling this list!
I know how difficult is was for me to find this information, so I am glad I can help others. And to be honest, if I knew how the dog park system works here in St. Louis, I wouldn't have moved here. I never even knew that lots of cities wants membership and fee to go to a dog park. I lived in California, Oregon, Oklahoma and visited Texas and all the dog parks we went to where free. And that's how it should be.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
Really? A few bucks a month for a dog park is a make/break factor on relocation? IMO, you use it, you pay for it...a dog park is not something that benefits society as a whole.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Yeah that is kind of ridiculous. You're going to base your entire decision to locate to an area based on $6/month? Heck, the one I belonged to, Southwest City dog park, was only $30 for the year. That is hardly something that should affect a massive life altering decision.

And besides, I actually think the private ownership model works better for dog parks. You have accountability among the owners and people are more prone to enforce the rules. And you don't have to worry about some moron bringing his anti-social demonic beast to wreak havoc among the dogs.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Really? A few bucks a month for a dog park is a make/break factor on relocation? IMO, you use it, you pay for it...a dog park is not something that benefits society as a whole.
It seems that you don't have a dog. No, it is not all about the money, but that I don't have the freedom to say for instance, I want to go today to this or that dog park. I can't!!!! I like Creve Coeur Lake and I know there is a dog park, but to become a member for me, it would cost $80 a year, and then I like the dog park in CWE, what would cost me an other $80 a year, then I pay $25 for the one in my neighborhood and if I would like to visit the other one at the Compton Hill Reservoir Park I have to pay an other $35 dollars and so on an on. A couple of days ago I passed one on my way home, quite a few people with dogs were there, but I couldn't join them with my dog. What a pity. And yes, a dog park benefits society as a whole in my opinion, but I am a dog owner and lover.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Yeah that is kind of ridiculous. You're going to base your entire decision to locate to an area based on $6/month? Heck, the one I belonged to, Southwest City dog park, was only $30 for the year. That is hardly something that should affect a massive life altering decision.

And besides, I actually think the private ownership model works better for dog parks. You have accountability among the owners and people are more prone to enforce the rules. And you don't have to worry about some moron bringing his anti-social demonic beast to wreak havoc among the dogs.
Yeah, I guess you don't know better. I have visited lots of dog park in my life and most of the time I met great dogs and nice, responsible owners - and all dog parks where either by the city or by donation. But I guess this doesn't work here. I wonder why. Oh, I know, because they maybe think the same like you.
And when I joint my little dog park in my neighborhood - I hardly every see people with their dogs in there, but it is winter, sooooo.... they didn't ask about my mental state or my dogs, just pay and show me that your dog is vaccinated. So I wonder, why you don't worry about some moron brings his unsocial dog in your dog park????

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I own two dogs, go to the dog park all the time and have no problem with private dog parks that charge what I'd consider extremely reasonable prices.

If a city or neighborhood wants to offer a free dog park? Awesome. But I think there are better uses of public funds than that -- like parks that benefit children or something.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Yeah, I guess you don't know better. I have visited lots of dog park in my life and most of the time I met great dogs and nice, responsible owners - and all dog parks where either by the city or by donation. But I guess this doesn't work here. I wonder why. Oh, I know, because they maybe think the same like you.
And when I joint my little dog park in my neighborhood - I hardly every see people with their dogs in there, but it is winter, sooooo.... they didn't ask about my mental state or my dogs, just pay and show me that your dog is vaccinated. So I wonder, why you don't worry about some moron brings his unsocial dog in your dog park????
No need to be rude. Like I said, I have many years of experience using dog parks both public and private and in the St. Louis area and outside of it. So it's not like "I don't know better" (so typical for someone to say when you have a different point of a view) I just prefer the accountability of a privately owned park. No they may not ask about your dog's mental state, but they do require proof of vaccination like you pointed out and that is huge. What's more is that privately owned parks make it easier to hold members accountable who have badly socialized dogs who cause problems. How can you hold someone accountable if you or your dog is attacked at a public dog park? They can lie about their dogs vaccinations and their names/information. Just look online at Yelp reviews and various dog websites about public dog parks and you'll see plenty of instances where bad dogs and people ruin everyones experience.

I don't even see what the point in arguing is though, my main point was that your assertion that you never would've moved here if you knew you had to shell out the cost of a tank of gas or two a YEAR for a dog park is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure everybody but you would agree with that. If someone were to rank a metro area by 100 different criteria, I'm sure "Cost of Dog Parks" would rank somewhere between 90 and 100 in importance even to people who own dogs.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,727 times
A little off topic, but take your dogs to Home | Laumeier Sculpture Park. They have to be on a leash, but they have all sorts of exhibits and cool stuff just for dogs. Its free

Also, the Soulard Pet Parade is this weekend, definitely get down there: Beggin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis