Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM

25 posts, read 93,419 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are contemplating a move to the St. Louis Region, or those who have lived here forever and just don't know, be advised that St. Louis is home of "Free Stuff To Do."

- St. Louis Zoo - Rated #1 in the US in a few different publications...FREE
- Forest Park - Huge park in the city where 1904 World's Fair was hosted. 500 acres larger than Central Park in NYC.
- Science Center - Awesome.....FREE...Special exhibits and OmniMax cost extra.
- History Museum - Awesome.....FREE
- Art Museum - .........FREE
- Museum of Gateway Expansion - Underground museum beneath the Arch....FREE. Costs a few buck to actually ride to the top of the Arch.
- Lone Elk Park - A drive through wildlife park with Bison, Elk, Turkey, deer, etc...FREE
- Laumaier Sculpture Park - Huge sculptures ...FREE
- Powder Valley Nature Center - FREE

Just thought you might like to know. Raising a family can be expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,262,485 times
I am super excited about the zoo, the art museum and the history museum. We don't have that stuff here in Vegas...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM

84 posts, read 339,418 times
why doesnt st. charles have to pay the zoo-museum tax? seems a little unfair since a lot of people in that area use these "free" things st. louis has to offer.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,058,305 times
How about the Botanical Garden?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,654,348 times
you forgot to include grant's farm and of course, the brewery! we love coming to st.louis. our son is a student at wash u.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutPark829 View Post
why doesnt st. charles have to pay the zoo-museum tax? seems a little unfair since a lot of people in that area use these "free" things st. louis has to offer.
Are you my new e-stalker?

Residents from many counties outside St. Louis County visit the St. Louis Zoo. It's not their fault the city is unable to manage it's money and charges you a tax for something you may or may not use.

When my family and I visit the St. Louis Zoo, rest assured that we leave quite a bit of money there to support it. That goes for the area around it as well.

We pay for parking, special attractions (Children's Zoo), we ride the train, and buy souvenirs. I'd be willing to bet we spend more on a single visit than St. Louis residents pay in 10 years of any "Zoo Tax" imposed. We usually conclude our visits by patronizing a local restaurant like Seamus McDaniels, Southwest Market & Deli, O'Connell's, or the like.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
you forgot to include grant's farm and of course, the brewery! we love coming to st.louis. our son is a student at wash u.
Those places are great as well. Thanks for the additions to the list.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM

551 posts, read 3,124,941 times
Nice thread--10 more reasons why St. Louis is great! There is NEVER a lack of things to do. Also, St. Louis has those free concerts and excellent fireworks down on the riverfront in the summer. They draw some pretty big names, too (Lifehouse, Goo Goo Dolls, Cyndi Lauper, Colbie Caillat).

Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNutCass View Post
Are you my new e-stalker?

Residents from many counties outside St. Louis County visit the St. Louis Zoo. It's not their fault the city is unable to manage it's money and charges you a tax for something you may or may not use.

When my family and I visit the St. Louis Zoo, rest assured that we leave quite a bit of money there to support it. That goes for the area around it as well.

We pay for parking, special attractions (Children's Zoo), we ride the train, and buy souvenirs. I'd be willing to bet we spend more on a single visit than St. Louis residents pay in 10 years of any "Zoo Tax" imposed. We usually conclude our visits by patronizing a local restaurant like Seamus McDaniels, Southwest Market & Deli, O'Connell's, or the like.
St. Chuck still should pay in my opinion, every county in the St. Louis metro should pay because it would make the Zoo, Museums, and Forest Park that much better. We could probably even get a world class aquarium built in Forest Park to compliment the Zoo, if this region worked as a unit.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,453,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
How about the Botanical Garden?
No, you have to pay an admission to see the Missouri Botanical Garden, but I think it's worth every penny. Normal tickets are $7.00 for ages 13 and up, and $3.00 for 12 and younger. There's also reduced prices if you're a "garden member."

Another can't miss attraction is the Shaw Nature Reserve, off of I-44 in Gray Summit. MBG: Shaw Nature Reserve Adults pay 3 bucks to get in, seniors pony up $2.00, and kids 12 and under get in for free, as well as Shaw Nature Reserve members. Figure to spend all or at least most of the day at each of these places--there's that much to see and explore!

Last edited by northbayeric; 04-05-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis