Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,777 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've never been to STL but will be moving there from Iowa very soon for a career move. Can anyone please help with suggestions on places to live? Here's my situation

A pal and I, both 22 year old single males
Looking to spend no more than 1300 on rent per month
Working downtown

Would like to live close to work if affordable and safe. If not, which parts of town should we be looking for? Or what suburbs? Safety and cost are main issues of concern.

Thanks for any and all help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,869,809 times
Downtown should be fine. There are bums, sure, but Downtown crime has decreased quite a bit the last 2 years.

There are different places to rent Downtown. You could check out the GW Lofts, Tudor Lofts, Cupples Station Apartments, and Merchandise Mart Apartments.

Merchandise Mart Apartments
Cupples Station Loft Apartments
Blue Urban - GW Loft Apartments News Room
PARIC Corporation - Tudor Lofts (http://www.paric.com/NR/exeres/3FCEF3F6-86F7-4BD1-9AC0-49C47795E57D.htm - broken link)

Tudor and GW Lofts are more like Downtown West. They're both maybe a mile or so north and northwest of Scottrade Center. Cupples Station is about a block from Busch Stadium. I believe the Merchandise Mart is on Washington Avenue Downtown. Merchandise Mart and Cupples will likely be closer to your job than Tudor and GW, but neither are very far.

Tudor Lofts has a pet store (City Pet Supply) in the first-floor retail in part of the building.

I hope that's helpful.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,777 times
Thank you. Does anyone else have any opinions?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 AM

522 posts, read 1,613,874 times
I grew up in St. Louis and my mom lived there until a year ago. I'm not a fan of living in the city. It has a lot of diversity but I still would not feel there and the people are not as friendly as those in the suburbs. Personally, I love Webster Groves and Kirkwood, very leafy, homes with character. It all depends on what you like. The commute to downtown from those areas is not bad at all. Good luck to you - St. Louis is a great city - lots of culture, great sports and very friendly people.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM

287 posts, read 1,088,645 times
Since you're young and single, I would be looking at downtown, Soulard or Lafayette Square in the city, Clayton or the central west end. If you're working downtown, you may be able to get by without a car if you live near a metro stop, which connects downtown to the above mentioned places. The suburbs are fine, or course, but wouldn't you be a little bored?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,699,303 times
anr's suggestions are good ones. Any of those area will have the combo of safety, cost and proximity to work that you're looking for.

The suburbs will be very family-oriented. If you're moving to St. Louis you might as well enjoy everything the city has to offer.

I would focus on the Washington Ave Loft district downtown or the Central West End. Both will push the top of your budget for a 2 bedroom, but a quick search of Craiglist shows there are possibilities.

This place looks fabulous - 2 beds 2 bath, $1265 a month, heart of the loft district. Check out the street view on google maps and you'll see what a lively neighborhood it is. Lots of great restaurants nearby. Beautiful wide open floor plan! Great for roommates (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/891328134.html - broken link)

Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,816,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo26 View Post
Hello,

I've never been to STL but will be moving there from Iowa very soon for a career move. Can anyone please help with suggestions on places to live? Here's my situation

A pal and I, both 22 year old single males
Looking to spend no more than 1300 on rent per month
Working downtown

Would like to live close to work if affordable and safe. If not, which parts of town should we be looking for? Or what suburbs? Safety and cost are main issues of concern.

Thanks for any and all help!!
There is no reason for you to not live in an urban area or at the furthest an inner rung burb considering what you are seeking and your situation.

You can start downtown and work your way to other urban areas, and outward from there.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM

15 posts, read 51,760 times
Soulard Soulard Soulard. Affordable and fun with free parking. Check out the "Smile Loft" apartments on the internet. You can be downtown in less than 5 minutes by car or 20 by foot. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis