Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 19,587 times

Advertisements

So, I'm interested in finding out about Gravois Park area. Would you live there, would you recommend it, is it going down or going up? I've seen through the MLS that there are a large amounts of foreclosures in the area and a few new constructions as well, but when I did a drive through it didn't look safe at all.

Since I'm not a real estate agent, I can't see time on market, relistings, or anything like that, but if it's an area that is in the process of being revitalized, I'd like to move in before costs go above what I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I've Gravois Park is more rundown than the area around it.

But just word of mouth. I'm not an expert or anything.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Its known as the roughest area on the South Side. If there is any revitalization going on in the area is probably not enough to make a subatancial difference.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Gravois Park has the highest crime of any neighborhood on the South Side.

Gentrification has transformed other previously dangerous neighborhoods, and it seems to be following a predictable pattern on the south side. Lafayette Square was terrible in the 1960s and 70s, and the rehab began in the 80s. Benton Park was terrible in the 80s and part of the 90s, and the area north of the park was mainly gentrified in the 00s. The same goes for the Tower Grove areas. The criminal element has to live somewhere, and having been pushed out of the other areas, they seem to be moving further and further south. Right now Gravois Park is the epicenter of crime. I do see Gravois Park gentrifying in the future, since it has great housing stock and the gentrified areas are very close.

If you find a house you love in Gravois Park, and don't have any vulnerable family members that will be there on a regular basis, then it might be a great place to buy and hold. In ten to twenty years, it will probably be revitalized. If you are looking for a shorter time frame, then look at the rougher areas of Tower Grove East, Benton Park West, and Marine Villa. The area around the Cherokee Row Antique District has incredible rehabbed homes right next to drug dealers. Those areas are more likely to completely gentrify in five years and should produce a good return on investment. There is also an area in Tower Grove South on the very southern end of the neighborhood, near the Shop 'N Save, that has had some problems with criminals. There are some great bargains down there right now.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,667 times
I might be a little late in replying, but, Gravois Park is one place I would probably stay away from for at least a couple more years. There is some gentrification going on in the area, but not enough to substantiate the risk.

I moved to Tower Grove East within the past 6 months, and seven years ago when I moved to St. Louis, I would have never thought I would live in this area, but like many areas in and around St. Louis, there is quite a bit of revitalization going on. It is ethnically, socially, and sexual-orientationally diverse.

If you want to live in the surrounding area, I would recommend closer to both Tower Grove park and Grand Blvd. The closer you get to the park and Tower Grove South, the less crime you are subjected to.

I do feel safe in my home, though recently I have heard several gunshots over the past few weeks, seen some questionable behavior late at night (possible drug deals), and have a neighbor a few houses down that was broken into. I would highly recommend a good house alarm system, and definitely have insurance against theft, be it homeowner's or renters insurance. Also join a neighboorhood association, and a neighboor hood watch. The more you can stomp out idiots stealing, dealing drugs, shooting guns, etc, the safer the neighboorhood will become.

City life, no matter the city, will have its share of crime, and St. Louis is not immune to its own woes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis