Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 16,015 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I get a new job on Hazelwood, MO, can somebody tell me how is the city (crime, taxes, school, quality of life). Also what place are better to live on the city or around it (no more than 20 minutes driving)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I would highly suggest posting this in the St. Louis forum, because Hazelwood is in the suburbs of St. Louis.

That being said, there are many areas within 20 minutes of Hazelwood that would be a great place to live. If you don't mind sharing a little more of what you're looking for I think we could give you more tailored help.

Do you like urban, suburban or rural areas? Are you looking for a house or a condo? How many bedrooms? How much do you want to spend? Is public transportation important to you? Anything else we should know about you, such as hobbies etc?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM

4 posts, read 16,413 times
Hazelwood is a very nice area and so is it's neighboring city Florissant. Please do not listen to what the people on this forum have to say about either city. These people are very bias towards those towns and do not like them simply because they are afraid of minorities. Look up some ad's in the paper and come and check out the houses and the neighborhoods for yourself. I am 21 years old and have lived here my entire life and I love it. Its very safe, affordable and fun! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with your search and welcome to St. Louis!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM

84 posts, read 339,185 times
Hazelwood is good, as is Bridgeton, Florissant, St. Ann, etc. that whole area of Northwest St. Louis County is safe and has good schools. What kind of price range are you looking for? That part of north county is unique you can find homes anywhere from 1.2 million on the missouri river with huge acreage, or new homes currently being built in Hazelwood off Charbonier from 450-700 Thousand, or a typical North County home from 150-300 in Riverwood Estates, or older ranch homes that are still nice from 120-180 thousand.

But there are also a lot of nice small brick starter homes in Hazelwood and Florissant that start at about $100,000. You could also look into nearby Old Town Florissant if you like the Historic feel of a smalltown Americana. The ranges are so diverse you should be able to find anything your looking for really, but more info would be nice to help steer you better.

But anyways Hazelwood is nice, has great demographics, just recently built the St. Louis Mills Mall, is redevoloping the old Ford Plant, has a great highschool (Haz. West), great parks, is near the interstates 270, 170, 370, has great homes with very diverse price ranges to find what your looking for, is safe, I recommend it.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I've always heard that Hazelwood's a nice area.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 AM

Hazelwood is a nice area, but to say that the schools are anything more than average (at best) is really an overstatement. Hazelwood West is the best school of the three high schools, but they still perform well below regional, state and national averages. Test scores aren't everything- I'm the first to agree with that, but if you check out greatschools.net you can see what parents and students are saying about Hazelwood schools and it isn't pretty. Parent Reviews of Hazelwood West High School - Hazelwood, Missouri - MO

Look, I understand the desire to bring back Hazelwood and much of Northwest county to its former glory, and I very much hope that happens. The location is fabulous and housing is cheap, so if I were ever looking for a place in the suburbs I'd certainly give the area a look.

But perpetuating exaggerations won't help anyone either.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM

238 posts, read 331,928 times
Hazelwood runs the gambit from not so nice, to very nice. Over-all the homes are more affordable here in the north and northwest suburbs (I live in Florissant). Within a 20 minute drive, there is quite a bit available (quite a bit of St. Louis is within a 20 -30 minute drive of one another). As Aragx6 said, the Hazelwood schools arent' the best, if the school district is important to you, then you might want to consider a bit further south. Maryland Heights is nice. My son went to Parkway North and it was a GREAT school!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Cardinals pitching prospect Kyle McClellan made it through Hazelwood, but from the sound of it it's not a great school.

Ryan Howard went to Lafayette High School in Wildwood, though. As did another Cardinal prospect, David Freese, who the Cardinals traded Jim Edmonds for.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM

84 posts, read 339,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Cardinals pitching prospect Kyle McClellan made it through Hazelwood, but from the sound of it it's not a great school.

Ryan Howard went to Lafayette High School in Wildwood, though. As did another Cardinal prospect, David Freese, who the Cardinals traded Jim Edmonds for.

haz. west is perfectly fine. sure its no rockwood or ladue, but its not a bad school at all.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 AM

They score consistently far below acceptable rankings, and both parents and students are unhappy. I guess your definition of "perfectly fine" is different than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis