Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,846,425 times

Advertisements

I do think some parts of the city are more accepting than others.

Stereotypically suburbs will be less tolerant, but it's not always the case.

I'm sorry what happened to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,722,987 times
I am sorry what happened to you, but you can't judge the whole St. Louis area just because you had some crackpot neighbors in a suburban cul-de-sac. Bad neighbors could happen to anyone, anywhere. My friends had neighbors that sued them because water ran down hill from their lawn to the neighbors' lawn during rainstorms, and would call the cops whenever the other neighbor's kids would play basketball because the sound of the balls bouncing was too loud.

There are plenty of gay couples living near me that are certainly not harassed. I see them walking by my house all of the time, many times holding hands. St. Louis City, especially around Tower Grove, is pretty tolerant to gays in my view.

I also saw religious protesters at the Chicago Pride parade this year, so it happens there too. I know what happened to you was unacceptable, but don't think that the whole St. Louis area is like that, because it just isn't so!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM

73 posts, read 274,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina23 View Post
Don't do it...

My cute little brick home on a cute little cul-de-sac in Kirkwood was pretty much was sabotaged by our neighbors in an effort to get us to move as to not corrupt their procreations. And, people, we are as normal as they come. No, we don't look gay, we don't act gay, and the only rainbows in our life were the ones leading us out of that city. She is a doctor and I am a computer programmer. We don't have short hair, we don't dress like men, and we are very attractive, young, successful females who took very good care of their home and lawn. Their efforts worked... I live in a different time zone now and refuse to even drive through there or set foot in that place for the rest of my life.

St. Louis? Gay friendly? Ha... maybe in 2050. For now, the gay population will continue to suffocate. I'll never forget a pride-fest that I attended there where I had some "focus on the family" nutcase pouring holy water on me and praying for me while I was trying to watch the parade. Ah... the good ole' days.

Gina
I think I wouldn't be too far fetched to say there are protestor's at every pride, in every city. I attended Pride in June this year, and this was the first year I didn't see ANY protestors. Before that, there was maybe one or two each year.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

76 posts, read 297,583 times
We have two lesbian families in my neighborhood (in Manchester) and no one has ever said a thing or given them trouble. One couple has a kid and it has never been an issue with anyone that I know of. I assumed that Kirkwood was more open minded than Manchester. Go figure.

Btw, I'm straight but worked at Pride Fest one year and had some man yelling at me to repent. Some people are just crazy.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Everyone is free to have their own opinion about homosexuality.

But I don't think protesting at a parade because you don't agree with it will bring in any converts. Hating them and descriminating against them doesn't do any good either.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
I don't think these people really expect to gain converts. They're just hateful small people.

That being said, I still respect their right to protest ... that's what makes America. Once they make threats to people or abuse them physically in any way (like pouring water on them) then they've crossed a line and should be arrested.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM

19 posts, read 72,066 times
When i said don't count me out just yet, I meant it! The company called me today, and wants to "talk"...Meanwhile, I have other options on the table, but don't count me out just yet!

Stlouislux

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Well, keep us updated.

And good luck!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Yes, do keep us updated, and if you need anymore help let us know!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 72,066 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you ALL for your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis