Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 PM

551 posts, read 3,125,576 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is gay-friendly. I had no problems when I lived there. It's got a surprisingly high number of gay nightclubs and a lot of those trendy martini bar-type places that tend to draw lots of gay men. The Manchester strip (between Tower Grove Ave. and Sarah St.) is very up and coming and is almost exclusively gay establishments. Don't live there though--it's in a terrible part of town. Lots of fun though! Most of my gay friends either lived in Tower Grove or downtown in the Washington Ave. loft district. The Washington Avenue district is much more urban and resembles Chicago much more so than Tower Grove. Good luck and message me with any additional questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM

117 posts, read 411,291 times
Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone sponteneously mention the Manchester strip on these forums. I started a thread about it awhile back but it (the thread) died out pretty quickly.

On my last trip to St. Louis (about a year ago) the strip was the area that really took me by surprise. I'd never been there before (or at least not since my Mom used to take us to a weird little shop there back in the 60's) and was really kind of charmed by it.

Admittedly, it looks like kind of a forbidding place to live. More than a little rough around the edges. But don't count it out too quickly. The framework of a potentially really cool neighborhood seemed to be there. It's the kind of place that could really be desirable ten, fifteen years down the line.

As I said in my thread, if I were investing in a neighborhood in St. Louis, this might be it. (The other contender that comes to mind being Cherokee Street).

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM

43 posts, read 174,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanick View Post
Chesterfield has a strong Jewish population as well. I went to Parkway Central High School and when I went away to college I was shocked to find out that "everyone" in St. Louis was actually Catholic. I thought it was at least 50% Jewish. True story.

Chesterfield/Creve Coeur probably doesn't have the gay population that you are looking for though.

Kanick, same here! Went to PCH (from the city, thank you deseg) and thought STL was nearly half Jewish. Found it it was mostly Catholic... funny enough I'm now Catholic. HA!

STL is a great place for nearly everyone. A gay jewish liberal will likely be welcomed.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 103,451 times
If u move to St. Louis I would recomend the Central West End whatever you do stay clear of Jfferson County.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM

19 posts, read 103,451 times
Jefferson County that is. see we can't even spell out here. lol

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 AM

8 posts, read 20,264 times
I would say you will be fine... Clayton and the CWE (Central West End) are great parts of town, fine dining, shopping, more urban and gay friendly. When I was single I was living in the CWE, largely because I love the area (I'd lived in NYC for a few years and this was a close as I could get to that feel!) and also living near Forest Park. Coming from Chicago you will most enjoy those areas that I and many have already suggested, but don't come expecting it to be just like Chicago, because it isn't. My parents currently reside in West County, Chesterfield to be exact and although they live in what I would call a predominantly hetero/family oriented neighborhood I know that my parents would have no problem living next door to a homosexual, and just to state a fact their current next door neighbors are Jewish... I wish you luck and hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

238 posts, read 332,816 times
So, Stlouislux..how goes the search? What have you found out so far?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,808,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToMoveToMaine View Post
I would say you will be fine... Clayton and the CWE (Central West End) are great parts of town, fine dining, shopping, more urban and gay friendly. When I was single I was living in the CWE, largely because I love the area (I'd lived in NYC for a few years and this was a close as I could get to that feel!) and also living near Forest Park. Coming from Chicago you will most enjoy those areas that I and many have already suggested, but don't come expecting it to be just like Chicago, because it isn't. My parents currently reside in West County, Chesterfield to be exact and although they live in what I would call a predominantly hetero/family oriented neighborhood I know that my parents would have no problem living next door to a homosexual, and just to state a fact their current next door neighbors are Jewish... I wish you luck and hope that helps.
Chesterfield has a sizeable Jewish population in St. Louis.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM

117 posts, read 411,291 times
Default Follow up is always nice

Hey folks, sent an email directly to StLouisLux. He didn't get the job so he won't be relocating to StL.

Poor guy - imagine NOT getting job the AND missing out on the chance to move to St. Louis!

Last edited by anduarto; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM

19 posts, read 72,069 times
Don't count me out just yet.......

+++ StLouisLux
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis