Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,156 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am considering a move from the DC area to STL to be closer to family. I am a single mother with 5 children ages 13 - 3. My oldest is on the autism spectrum (but is in the general ed classroom with support) and I have two who are exceptionally bright and need gifted and talented services so I need a really good school district that offers support at both ends of the educational spectrum.
I am a recovering dead head who loves live music and all things natural. I work as a doula and midwife's assistant. I am liberal politically and religiously and belong to the Unitarian Universalist church. I would like to find a house for less than $300K. As I have family in St Charles MO and Maryville IL, anywhere in the St Louis metro area would be fine. Can I find a place where I'll fit in? Where do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
For your price range, I would suggest either the Lindbergh or Parkway South School districts. The neighborhoods tend to be moderate (compared to St. Charles, which is very conservative). You will get a lot of house for the money and the schools are well-regarded.

If you can live with a smaller house, then look at Kirkwood or Webster Groves. Clayton would probably be the absolute best for your family culturally and academically, but it will be very difficult to find something really nice in your price range.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
For your price range, I would suggest either the Lindbergh or Parkway South School districts. The neighborhoods tend to be moderate (compared to St. Charles, which is very conservative). You will get a lot of house for the money and the schools are well-regarded.

If you can live with a smaller house, then look at Kirkwood or Webster Groves. Clayton would probably be the absolute best for your family culturally and academically, but it will be very difficult to find something really nice in your price range.
I guess it's moderate compared to St. Charles, but most residents in the Lindberg and Parkway South districts definetly aren't watching MSNBC.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 PM
TGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I guess it's moderate compared to St. Charles, but most residents in the Lindberg and Parkway South districts definetly aren't watching MSNBC.
True. If the OP didn't need the special education services, I would certainly recommend a more liberal area like Maplewood or University City. Clayton would be the best option if the OP had an unlimited budget.

However, Parkway and Lindbergh are affordable, safe, moderate socially, and the schools are top notch for special ed. I really can't think of a overwhelmingly liberal area that is going to meet the OP's budget and school requirements.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
I wouldn't / shouldn't worry about the political make-up of an area. I consider myself a liberal, but live in a very conservative area (How about being groceries at a Walmart on Ronald Reagan Boulevard?). But at the same time in My neighborhood there are about 5 families (out of about 20 homes) that are the artist/writer/creative liberal type.

Working as a Doula may be a harder match around here. There aren't that many granola communities in the area. The St. Louis Area is definitely not DC/Northern Virginia. It's more like Richmond.

I would definitely start my search in University City for obvious reasons.
Clayton may be an area to consider (not granola, a bit trendoid - and I get the Caddyshack (Judge Smails) vibe from the area) Clayton is a bit expensive.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I wouldn't / shouldn't worry about the political make-up of an area. I consider myself a liberal, but live in a very conservative area (How about being groceries at a Walmart on Ronald Reagan Boulevard?). But at the same time in My neighborhood there are about 5 families (out of about 20 homes) that are the artist/writer/creative liberal type.

Working as a Doula may be a harder match around here. There aren't that many granola communities in the area. The St. Louis Area is definitely not DC/Northern Virginia. It's more like Richmond.

I would definitely start my search in University City for obvious reasons.
Clayton may be an area to consider (not granola, a bit trendoid - and I get the Caddyshack (Judge Smails) vibe from the area) Clayton is a bit expensive.
St. Louis is definitely not Northern virgina/DC but it definitely is nothing like Richmond....definitely. Its hard to compare cities from different regions.
In my opinion St. Louis is actually more liberal than most would acknowledge. St. Louis is by far the most liberal area in Missouri and actually is moderately leaning left metropolitan area. Just look at any presidential election and you will see how the region regularly votes (except St. Charles County of course).

Old 08-17-2009, 11:29 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
I never understood the "living in a liberal area" or "living in a conservative area." I live in the city and am not in the least bit worried what my neighbor believes, as long as she catches my dog when she gets out the fence and we are gone, and my neighbor across the street will speak to me when we are outside and update me on neighborhood problems. It seems it's an intolerance issue. If you are so concerned that someone next to you may not believe what you believe, perhaps you belong out in the sticks somewhere in your bomb shelter and tinfoil hat.

If you are gay and want to live in San Francisco, I understand that, wanting to be surrounded by the people in your lifestyle so you can be comfortable in your own skin and holding hands with your SO walking down the street...but I'm not going to move if I find out the person next to me is for gay marriage if I'm against it.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
TGS

AJ,

I don't think she is intolerant at all, but just looking for the place where she can be close to her interests and have a better chance of finding like-minded neighbors and parents. I have lived in very conservative areas and I didn't make as many friends with my neighbors as I have while living in a more moderate area. There was nothing wrong with the people there, but having similar interests as your neighbors can make for better over-the-fence conversations and more invites to backyard BBQs and such.

No tinfoil hats needed, OK?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM

252 posts, read 960,434 times
In this context "liberal" and "conservative" have less to do with how one votes or with politics than with what one's cultural preferences are (i.e., love Whole Foods, hiking, and wine vs. Walmart, hunting, and NASCAR). It's easier to make friends and get along well with neighbors who have similar cultural preferences, and it's a totally reasonable concern when looking for housing.

As AJohnston_STL alludes to, for those of us who are gay or lesbian (or in interracial relationships, etc.), living in a "liberal area" ends up being rather important. It's much more pleasant to live in an area where you can be publically affectionate with your partner without drawing stares or worse from your neighbors.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
I don't know how you guys think STL is that much different than DC. I did an internship there for half a year, explored the entire city as well as the MD and VA suburbs, and other than the public transportation, overpriced housing, and political atmosphere, there wasn't much difference in people. Both cities are mostly black and white people, lots of rude folks, racial issues, and a bunch of suburbs in two states. I actually think DC is the East Coast STL in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis