Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM

48 posts, read 71,029 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from STL to Houston, which of these would you reccomend:

Packrat
U-Pack
Pods
or Uhaul Ubox

I'm the most iffy about the Ubox and I hear pods are expensive. if anyone else knows anything about these services let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM

220 posts, read 453,724 times
I've heard a lot of good things about U-Pack but they aren't exactly cheap. They also have give the option of packing all of your stuff up for you though, so it can be a completely hands off move.

The Uhaul UBox pods look small to me.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 PM

59 posts, read 80,234 times
I've used U-Pack twice now and been very happy with them. I did the bring the stuff to them version as I didn't have a ton, but it was very reasonably priced. They were also really good about working with my somewhat crazy schedule and I had great customer service on both ends. I would totally recommend using them.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenElissa View Post
I've used U-Pack twice now and been very happy with them. I did the bring the stuff to them version as I didn't have a ton, but it was very reasonably priced. They were also really good about working with my somewhat crazy schedule and I had great customer service on both ends. I would totally recommend using them.
Awesome. I just think that will be best since we have a small baby and it's an 800mi move. That way we can take turns driving.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,331 times
U-Pack boxes are smaller, but they are much cheaper than PODS. A few years ago, I got a quote from PODS and they were going to charge me around $1300 for a 400 mile move. Getting two U-Pack boxes was around $800. For the same distance, a Penske 16' truck was only $500 + gas.

Honestly, the cheapest way to move is with a moving truck. Sell as much stuff as you can (old furniture, junk with no sentimental value, etc.). A Penske truck from STL to Houston shouldn't be any more than $1000 + gas. Moving in the fall or winter is often cheaper than during summer.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
U-Pack boxes are smaller, but they are much cheaper than PODS. A few years ago, I got a quote from PODS and they were going to charge me around $1300 for a 400 mile move. Getting two U-Pack boxes was around $800. For the same distance, a Penske 16' truck was only $500 + gas.

Honestly, the cheapest way to move is with a moving truck. Sell as much stuff as you can (old furniture, junk with no sentimental value, etc.). A Penske truck from STL to Houston shouldn't be any more than $1000 + gas. Moving in the fall or winter is often cheaper than during summer.
We decided to dump our couch and get a penske. Thanks though, we do have to move though in summer my husband starts a new job in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis