Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 32,876 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking to move to Missouri soon, particularly the I-44 corridor, and someone suggested Washington. The website has the usually kitsch, but I was hoping to get the straight skinny from some residents, maybe a neighbor or two.

Any information you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Don't know how many Washington, MO residents we have on the site but I try to get through there every once in a while. I went through Washington on a motorcycle ride this previous Sunday, and have always loved the town. The Downtown district is pretty adorable, the housing stock has some gorgeous architecture and very affordable prices. Downtown also seems to have some cool restaurants, and a neat little market (although I haven't frequented the market in over a year).

Honestly, considering the location, cost of living, and rural amenities it's a great choice for someone looking for a small Missouri town in close proximity to St. Louis.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
My husband and I both used to spend a month or two a year in Washington for work, and some of my old co-workers grew up there. I agree that the riverfront is kind of cute. This place feels very small town though...we remember it being a big deal when the Target in town opened. There's not a whole ton of retail in town--just the basics. It seemed to be growing quite a bit a few years back, and I know they were working on expanding MO-100, which is the main route to get onto Hwy 44 from Washington. My one friend just moved back because they had a kid, her family is still there, and they built a humongous house for not much money.

I don't know where you plan on commuting to (if at all), but the drive to/from downtown STL took me a solid 1.25 hours.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM

I'm not planning on commuting any except the closest VA clinic when I need prescriptions refilled.

A small town feel and a beautiful riverfront may be right for me.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
It's a very nice area. Go south on 44 a bit more and housing prices drop significantly, but I bet you could be very happy there. Best of luck and feel free to ask any follow-up questions!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

How's the shopping in Washington? What I mean is, will I be able to furnish my house there, or will I have to go to St. Louis?

Also, How is the weather compared to the rest of the state? I'm sure being next to the Missouri River makes things interesting...

Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWillsIt View Post
Hello. I'm looking to move to Missouri soon, particularly the I-44 corridor, and someone suggested Washington. The website has the usually kitsch, but I was hoping to get the straight skinny from some residents, maybe a neighbor or two.

Any information you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
My impression is that is a town with a dying downtown and developing "suburban" areas. I kind of like the town, but downtown seems dead. There is a good hospital, a Mercy outpost, and easy access to I-44 to get toward the city.

If I were staying here, and not moving, I think I'd consider moving to Washington. But it isn't an arts mecca or anything, and it doesn't appear especially lively. It looks like a sleepy German town on the Missouri River, with some spreading development. I don't know if the town has a decent park system or modern walking trails. But it is close the MO Botanical Garden Arboretum, and walking that a couple times a week would be awesome. It is also close to a couple of state parks I think, and maybe some fishing. It is not in St. Louis County, with the advantages and disadvantages that brings.

You might check out the Eureka area, in far west St. Louis County, if you want a more exurban feel, instead of a small town feel, and if you want better schools and libraries and parks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,407 times
I'm a long-time resident of Washington. Born and raised there. Washington is a great place. Has all the amenities anyone would need except a mall, but Chesterfield is a short 45 minute drive. Washington is central to both West county and St. Charles county. I would highly recommend Washington over Eureka. Eureka is much more "dead".

Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 AM

5 posts, read 5,942 times
I've lived in Washington for the past 22 years. Born and raised. Recently moved away for my first job to Columbia, MO a few months ago. Look forward to moving back at some point. My opinion will be very biased, but I love Washington. Downtown is not only beautiful, but it's been making a comeback in the past 5 years or so. There seems to be somewhat of a younger crowd (depending on your idea of younger, for me it's mid-20s/30s) moving in to newly renovated lofts all over the downtown area. There is now a farmer's market on Saturdays through most of the summer and fall I believe, with fresh produce coming from the nearby farming communities of Marthasville and Dutzow. Washington is also a part of wine country, with 20 or so wineries just a short drive away along the Missouri River, including Hermann, MO with it's big Oktoberfest celebrations. In the spring, summer and fall, there are orchards that you can go to to pick your own fresh fruits and veggies. Pumpkin patches for Halloween. The people are friendly. It's safe to say it's an hour drive to downtown St. Louis, although I usually do it in 45-50. Most of the shopping is chain stores, but there are plenty of smaller shops downtown that offer a lot. Not a great variety of restaurants, although there are many great places if you just look or ask around. To answer a previous question, you could furnish your home in Washington as there are furniture stores (warehouses and smaller places). I'm 25 and it's a place I'd love to move back to after I've gotten out to see the world a bit. You get all 4 seasons with Fall being especially beautiful. Take a ride on Highway 94 and see the hills, trees, and small German towns. That was a lot of ranting, but I do love Washington and would recommend it to most anyone. I'd be glad to answer any questions if you've got any.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Thank you everyone for the information. Washington seems like the sort of town I'd enjoy moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis