Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying to this program. Can anyone tell me about the school from a local or insider's perspective?

One hears such terrible things about St. Louis. Can anyone assuage my fears? Are there any attractive areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,604,571 times
What kind of dribble have you heard? (nevermind, just be assured it's 75% fiction) Where are you coming from? What types of areas do you like?

Wash U is sandwiched between Clayton(uptown/old money), Forest Park (the best urban park in the USA), University City (bohemian loop/one of amerca's top streets), and the Central West End (the most cosmopolitan urban neighborhood in the midwest outside chicago).

I live walking distance to Wash U. It's a beautiful area with great transit options too. What else would you like to know.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,108 times
What nonsense. This is why the CQ study and other various BS "lists" damage the area so badly. This person thought it was worth asking if there were any nice areas of St. Louis! You've got to be kidding me!

OP, there are many nice areas of St. Louis and Wash U is in one of the nicest areas of the whole metro area (and dare I say, entire midwest). It's a beautiful city and most of the depressed/crime ridden areas are in the north side of the city and East St. Louis in Illinois.

Based on your post, you will be shellshocked (in a good way) if/when you visit here.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM

321 posts, read 1,005,461 times
When you mention the "MFA" program at Wash U, are you referring to the MFA in Writing (English in Arts & Sciences) or the MFA in Visual Arts (Sam Fox School of Design)? Both are very selective and demanding programs, but they are both very different as well! I actually know a couple people who went through the MFA Writing program and they loved it -- a small, well supported group of extremely gifted individuals who are given a lot of freedom.

Both programs are located on the Danforth campus, and as others pointed out, the location is one of the most desired areas to live in the metro area. Sure there is an isolated crime here or there close to campus, but the campus and surrounding neighborhoods are simply gorgeous and safe 99.9% of the time if you follow common sense. Most people who come for a campus visit fall in love with it here. The most difficult part is getting accepted to one of the programs!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,879,430 times
I can't even answer the OP question. You think in a metro area of 3 million people there are no nice areas? Get some perspective.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM

787 posts, read 1,418,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supinator View Post
I'm considering applying to this program. Can anyone tell me about the school from a local or insider's perspective?

One hears such terrible things about St. Louis. Can anyone assuage my fears? Are there any attractive areas?

Master of Fine Arts in Art History or what? The Sam Fox School at WU is one of the finest art schools in the country. The WU campus is gorgeous and is in a beautiful area of St. Louis called University City.

Who is "One?" I am not aquainted w/ him/her. Come to St. Louis and check out Washington University. You'll fall in love. Do a google street view of the area around Wash U and compare that to Cooper Union or MICA. Come back and tell me which you prefer.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM

15 posts, read 27,556 times
Hi, I used to feel terrible when I just entered into this city, hearing of too much things that it is the most dangerous city. However, so far, everything is OK and I am loving this city. WU is a beautiful place, I used to live in CWE, just near the medical school and forest park. Seriously, you would be in love with the city, especially the university and areas around.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM

263 posts, read 530,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
What kind of dribble have you heard? (nevermind, just be assured it's 75% fiction) Where are you coming from? What types of areas do you like?

Wash U is sandwiched between Clayton(uptown/old money), Forest Park (the best urban park in the USA), University City (bohemian loop/one of amerca's top streets), and the Central West End (the most cosmopolitan urban neighborhood in the midwest outside chicago).

I live walking distance to Wash U. It's a beautiful area with great transit options too. What else would you like to know.
Your pride in St. Louis is impressive, but, I must nitpick...

Forest Park best urban park in the country? Central Park, Golden Gate Park, Lincoln Park, Fairmount Park are all better IMO. Forest Park is a gem though.

I also don't find the CWE cosmopolitan in any sense. And the U City loop certainly isn't "bohemian" - it's filled with a bunch of chain stores and crappy head shops.

Enough complaining for me. Back to the OP - St. Louis has a ton of nice areas, and Wash U is a great institution. Highly recommend attending if you have the opportunity.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,108 times
^Are you kidding me about the cwe? Considering it's where many transplants, especially college students from all over the world choose to live, it is a huge melting pot. Hang out at coffee cartel or Dressels and tell me it doesn't look like a united nations meeting.

And I would put Forest Park against any park in the USA based on number of attractions, natural beauty, and sheer size. Considering St. Louis isn't nearly as big or wealthy as NYC or San Fran, the fact that we have a park in the same league goes to show just how underrated St. Louis is. I will agree with you about the loop though.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,604,571 times
Ok maybe 'bohemian' was a poor choice of words to describe one of america's 10 best streets. I stand by the rest of my comments.

The 'loop' website describes the area like this
The Delmar Loop
A vibrant six-block entertainment and shopping district with ten live music stages and an eclectic mix of retail and restaurants, The Loop is a place of rich history and energetic evolution. A brilliant success, The Loop now serves as a model for communities across the country. The American Planning Association recently named this thriving urban retail, arts and entertainment district “One of the 10 Great Streets in America.”
http://visittheloop.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis